Guglatech Filtration System install on 1090R

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by ladyknieval, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ladyknieval

ladyknieval Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 016.JPG
    So here we are again, with Kato down to her knickers. I'm getting better at this, to get to this level of disassembly, it only took 15 minutes. I am installing a three part fuel filtration system made by Guglatech, HQd in Italy. First defense is a filler neck filter, then a Godzilla teabag filter on the pump, then an external inline filter running to the injectors. The inline filter is the only part needing periodical replacement. The Guglatech system will certainly take dodgy fuel out of any maintenance equation! I am hoping to never need to see the fuel pump pulled out of the tank again.

Nerb1 has a good YouTube video about this system, listed below, but I thought I would do a pictorial install. Just giving a little back to the forum where I have gotten so many tips and ideas from.

2. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 017.JPG

So, first things first, remove your filler cap assembly. Just loosen the six bolts and it pops right off. Prior to this I did drain my fuel tank just for ease. If you're 1/4 full or less, you probably don't have to drain.
    guglemonster likes this.
  3. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 018.JPG

This is the Guglatech filler neck filter. The first line of defense. Honestly, I think every motorcycle should have these, injected or carburetor. Stops contaminates and water from the source.

I just folded the filter into three folds long ways, and worked it into the filler hole.
    guglemonster likes this.
  4. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 019.JPG

You then use the supplied zip tie end to GENTLY make the wings of the filter spread out within the tank. Your first pump fill will spread it out further.
    guglemonster likes this.
  5. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 022.JPG

The neck filter will slow your fueling speed down slightly, especially the first time.

Normally I locktite every bolt that threads into plain metal, but it has to be mentioned here: NEVER locktite threads into a plastic tank! If you do, most likely when they are attempted to be removed, you will strip the insert into the tank before the locktite will loosen. Plus locktite can attack some plastics chemically. Just saying.... :fpalm
    GerryV, guglemonster and ADV67 like this.
  6. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 024.JPG

Next, after removing the four bolts at the bottom of the fuel pump housing, I gently pry the pump body, carefully breaking the seal from the o-ring.
    guglemonster likes this.
  7. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 025.JPG

Then the pump slides out neatly as one unit. I use a clear plastic storage container to catch any gas and to disassemble the pump, so nothing is lost. I like clear so I can see any contaminates that may come out. This bike is still relatively new, sitting since November, snowed and iced in. 80 miles until it's first service! But it has had the pump out for the recall by the dealer. They replaced only the motor, not the whole assembly. Next is to disassemble the pump. Another link to Nerb1, he has a video detailing how to disassemble and re-assemble these pumps. I ran into one problem in my disassembly, which you will see next.

DeeGee and guglemonster like this.
  8. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 027.JPG
    :doh The screw holding the ground wire was really tight! Thanks to my KTM dealer, the last to have this apart. I tried to cut a slot for a flathead driver, but to no avail. I got it out by using Visegrips, thankfully! And yes, I did clean up the micro metal shavings seen here!
    gbx2001, markgrolex and guglemonster like this.
  9. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 028.JPG

These Guglatech guys thought of everything! They give you a replacement screw and washer, knowing you may strip the head of the original. Saved me a trip to the hardware store, Thanks guys! Oh, and the hex key is not included however. :D
    guglemonster likes this.
  10. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 029.JPG
    So, first part to come off is the top part of the pump, where the paper filter resides. Just gently pry the two tabs on either side and it pops right off.
    guglemonster likes this.
  11. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 030.JPG

To get to the paper filter, use a small head flat screwdriver to pry the tabs up to remove the bottom cap.
    guglemonster likes this.
  12. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 031.JPG

With the Guglatech system, you no longer need the paper filter at all, so out it goes. Does anybody know why the filter turns green like this? Bike has literally only had three tanks of fuel thru it!
    guglemonster likes this.
  13. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 032.JPG

Don't forget to discard the spring in conjunction with the paper filter! Don't want that rattling around in the pump housing!
    guglemonster likes this.
  14. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 033.JPG

Next remove the two screws holding the motor brackets down, one on each side. Not as tight and larger heads, thankfully!
    guglemonster likes this.
  15. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 034.JPG

The motor will then just lift out of the base, and the stock teabag filter is just press fitted onto the bottom of the motor. Remove it.
    guglemonster likes this.
  16. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 035.JPG

Here is the size difference, Guglatech Godzilla filter on left, stock filter on the right.
    guglemonster likes this.
  17. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 036.JPG

He he, even after Nerb1 showed on his video that there was a plug in the new filter that had to be removed, I still attempted to install it with it in! Doh again! :jack
    guglemonster likes this.
  18. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 037.JPG

The filter just presses into the pump motor. It doesn't have an alignment tab like the stock filter has, so it took a couple of test fittings to get the angle right.
    guglemonster likes this.
  19. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 038.JPG

It is tapered at the bottom so it fits into the housing without bunching up. Be sure the pump fits into the rubber bushing properly as well, the reason for all the test fittings. It took about five minutes to get the happy angle on the filter, but no big deal. Just take your time methodically, everything only fits one way.
    guglemonster likes this.
  20. ladyknieval

Oddometer:
    KTM Filter Install 039.JPG

Then you put the plastic sleeve over everything, taking care not to pinch the filter or electrical wires. Again, it only lines up one way.
    guglemonster and Barekat like this.