Guglatech Filtration System install on 1090R

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ladyknieval, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ianblomeyer

ianblomeyer ianblomeyer

Oddometer:
    What i did on my 1290 filler was to drill a extra 3 , 5mm breather holes into the side of the filler neck. This has helped to fill up and release air faster.
    ScooterNoMore and guglemonster like this.
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    PA 6 is what the old 950/990 fuel tanks are made off.
    guglemonster likes this.
  3. NOONE1

NOONE1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All, Just got done doing this mod this week along with the all the Rotti air filter, SAS/Canister removal. I have my external fuel filter supplied in the kit mounted just like Lady Knievel but the current issue i am having is the what is the best possible route for the gas line to go from the bottom of the external filter to the quick connect on the pump? 1290 AV R.

Was hoping to get out on the bike this weekend after the mods were done but looks like we are supposed get a couple inched of snow this Saturday. I am done with the snow already!:dirtdog
    guglemonster likes this.
  4. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had issues with using the straight quick disconnect, looked like the hose got hot and had a blow out at the clamp, dead stop, with the straight QD fitting the hose wants to go up before back down to get to the new external filter, seems excessively close to cylinder head area, fast forward, new 90degree metal QD and all seems good, hose runs along left lower engine side and then right angle in to std fuel pump line. filter is wrapped in old innertube with zip ties, then secured to frame with big hose clamp thats got heat shrink tubing on it.
    got 90degree fitting here.
    https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconktm.html

Attached Files:

5. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    usually you simply disconnect the hose from the TB and connect it to the in of the fuel filter, without touching or cutting the original line, and than from the out of the filter you put the pice of new hose, shorter than what provided.

hope you are prefiltering at neck, otherwise nothing will protect your fuel pump/strainer from F.O.D. !!!!
  6. NOONE1

NOONE1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the whole kit from you. Neck filter, tea bag, and external inline filter. Got it all routed and running yesterday. Did all the guglatech mods, Rottweiler intake with SAS and canister removal all in one shot. Just needed some pointers on the best routing. Seemed like the 90 degree quick connect would work the best but got it all routed and working properly!
    EMFL and guglemonster like this.
  7. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    great !! vertical filter right??
  8. NOONE1

NOONE1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep...mounted just like the one in the 1090 in this thread.
    guglemonster likes this.
  9. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent....
  10. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure hope your pulling the trigger or already did. Mine has never run soo good! Just cant say it enough
    Wynnded, guglemonster and Capo Rick like this.
  11. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! Sort of. I have his air filter and in-tank filter. I think I’m may be having fuel pump filter issues or just pump issues....again!! Love love my 1090 but the small niggles are frustrating.
    guglemonster and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  12. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is on the fence re the Guglatech "final filtration solution":
    I recently installed the whole package (neck/pre/inline-filters), first start-up in 8 months yesterday. Experienced the "normal" 1090 starting issues. Idled for a while and drove up and down the driveway a couple of times. Shut down for the night. This evening I was going for a ride and she fired right up, first try/no hesitation. And every time after that. This would not have happened before!
    So that’s one serious issue gone, hopefully forever.
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Cant agree with you more!! Cheers!!
  14. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    thank you guys

this starting issue is however really funny, please keep me posted

I must say that reading such posts really makes up for all the hard time and development issues, we strive to give the best.

thank you very much

cheers
    ScooterNoMore and KTM 1190advR like this.
  15. senoj

senoj senoj 54 but now 55

Oddometer:
    I also posted this in the starting issue forum:

Hi Gents.
    Just a record of my dealings as I was setting my 1090 up.
    1. Perfect starter until 27 klm from new (day two of ownership) and 4 starts every time from cold to get it to run.
    2. ECU cleared by KTM and pressure from pump confirmed at 60 psi- no difference
    3. Installed free Akro pipe that came with bike - no difference - plugged one outlet to see if varying back pressure effected the issue - Got worse by flooding the engine.
    4. Installed Rottie fuel dongles that came with bike - no difference other than no surging and up from 4.7 to a flat 5 liters per 100Km touring.
    5. Installed full Guglatech fuel filtration set with new pump and complete KTM pump body (so I have a complete spare for touring) 60 psi before on OEM pump, 62 psi on Guglatech set up. Pressure build time was exactly the same and made no improvement no matter how many times I chose to run the pump prior to hitting the starter button - no difference
    6. Installed complete Unifilter air filter kit for touring - no difference (also no change in fuel economy)
    7. Performed every trick mentioned about starting techniques for getting around the issue - no difference
    8. I changed the oil and filters 3 times during the first 1500 klm as a run procedure and used both mineral and fully synthetic oils of both 10W/40 and 10W/50 - no difference.
    9. Removed quick connector and installed one way check valve - down to starting second time every time - this reduced the pump pressure build up time by maintaining around 25PSI in the rail but did bleed down over a week. Oh and in case you think this is the magical fix......It did sweet F#ck all on my mates 1090.
    KTM has issues. I personally bought the bike to tour all roads without worry of it being out of its depth so accepted I would be doing corrective action front up.

I do worry about taking it over the back of distant hills due to the above but I also love owning a bike that goes everywhere with ease so I have resigned myself to just accepting and riding.

Cheers to all:)
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Dont think you have a fueling problem but maybe the valves are too tight? Have heard of issues starting related to the valves. Best of luck man!
  17. senoj

Oddometer:
    Hi mate

If there was valve recession at 27 klm on day 2 of ownership then there was definite issues and or incorrect shim selection at the factory.

It appears multiple KTM 1090's do this during their early miles without then needing a valve set. The scenario leans more towards a programming conflict between fuel rate/pressure and the ability for the ECU to map engine position post the initial voltage drop that occurs during starting. For whatever reason I gave up worrying.

My post was more to offer insight that spending money on possible fixes has not corrected the situation for mine or a friends (his has 27000 klm on the clock and has done this since new Correction from friend 25800klm). I would have regretted purchasing a $1000 muffler or fitting a fuel filtration kit solely because I was advised it was the fix.

My modifications were happening regardless as they are know KTM issues and ones to avoid when touring. I made a point of documenting everything I did that was tabled as a "fix" one step at a time and allowed the bike a weeks run time before I wrote it off as a no win on my bike. Some bikes may have improved. Mine did with a one way check valve for $9 a lot cheaper than a muffler (buy the way it opens at 2.5 psi and thus reduces rail pressure back to around 60 psi). My friends did not improve with the valve.

Thanks though for the suggestion. Kind Regards
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  18. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not clear on what you replaced with the one way valve. What quick disconnect? Are you talking about the tank to pump disconnect?

Got a link to the one way valve you used?
  19. senoj

Oddometer:
    Hi mate

I removed the fuel line quick disconnect that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel line. The one you disconnect to remove the fuel tank.

Before buying the bike I read a lot of reports about people having issues with the O rings so I new I was going to remove and replace it with a one way check valve. This means fuel pressure (lower than operating is now captivated on shut down). It also means that fuel can dribble straight out of the tank side line so I carry a little line plug should I need to remove the tank. Please note that your pump acts like a one way check valve, you can suck fuel through but will struggle to blow fuel back. I was curious as to if fuel was bleeding back overnight. My mod effectively adds another restriction to back flow.

We have a wide selection and use them at work to eliminate fuel bleed off as a possible cause when diagnosing starting issues on mining equipment where the ECU has generated no faults (like a KTM 1090). You can buy cheap one like below. I have higher quality ones that specify a very low cracking pressure and compatibility with modern acidic fuels so they do not break up and send debris to fine orifice injector nozzles (read KTM 1090).

Please do not take this as the fix, I simply did it as I had them on hand and it is part of any basic diagnostics for me at work.

It improved my bike but did not eliminate the issue. I also prefer it over the idea of a plastic quick disconnect and its small O Rings.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pack-...418746?hash=item26285508fa:g:IqoAAOSwCN5dkcza
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  20. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    If memory serves there was a recall on some 1090/1290s regarding some part in the pump placed upside down from factory, allowing fuel to bleed back, hence the hard starts on some bikes.