Guglatech Filtration System install on 1090R

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ladyknieval, Mar 11, 2018.

1. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    2e56vwh.jpg

pretty simple, the KTM/Kehin design see two filters, the strainer and the paper one, if you will simply swap the strainer with our Godzilla the flawed design will stay in place, sooner or later the paper bastard will fail and you will have to buy a new one, basically there will be non better throttle response and for sure no 50.000 km free of problem riding

20150605_153858.jpg

IMG-20150724-WA0008.jpg 20150605_153931.jpg

you have to get rid of both of them, or the system will need the same servicing as the original one.

sure, you will be more protected and for sure the original design through our prefilter will last much longer and you will not risk cavitation, but the complete system is bullet proof while ktm is oem-benefit only :)

no worries, I do believe that forums, and this one in particular, are the best way to learn ones bike at best :) that, and a good hammer at some point !!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Whiteyez likes this.
  2. FlyingJ

FlyingJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, then to be clear, in order to do away with the paper filter in the capsule entirely is to install the inline fuel filter as well?

3. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    yes, the system has been designed to have 3 main components

neck filter
    Godzilla pre-pump strainer/filter
    in-line out of tank big automotive filter

4th component will be a new joy to ride :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cheers
    Rips Millar likes this.
  4. FlyingJ

FlyingJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, is it easy enough to preserve the o-rings from the motorcycle to do this job? I have all three filters and assumed they'd come with the orings but they don't.
  5. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    @FlyingJ

on the 990 it was practically impossible, at least I was NEVER able to re-use the radial one

sorry for the misunderstanding, kits are meant to be minimalistic, most riders prefere to source all single products on their own

vhchee
  6. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I must have the big filter because I don’t see any way it could fit under the tank. What small filter are folks using?
  7. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    Hi @milq

in the vendor topic there is a foot long list of compatible filtes, among which KL145 and MWK44

ain't that small, 3-4 bigger than the original one, 80% of the big filter size on BMW 1200 LC and F800 fuel pumps :) 40-50.000 km of free ride :)

cheers
  8. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to say that after installing the whole system I'm extremely disappointed in the in neck filter. Because the tank is so shallow right at the fuel cap it makes the fueling very slow, a fairly agonizing process. I'm also not able to fill it as full because once the gas gets closer to the top it doesn't flow through the filter fast enough and just ends up splashing all over the place. The system obviously does it's job but for someone that has never had fuel issues in my entire life, I'm having a hard time feeling like the extra protection is worth the pain the in ass. Is anyone else having the same problem?
    bricaud likes this.
  9. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    Bighog what bike do you have ?
    guglemonster likes this.
  10. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM 1090R
  11. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    My 1190 I think has same in-tank design. It can be a hassle sometimes. Do you have the most recent version of the filter ?
    I had the old version then upgraded to the new one when it came out and flow was much improved. Not perfect but at least 50% better flow
    guglemonster and ScooterNoMore like this.
  12. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    @bighog85

sorry for being blunt ;) but did you install it properly?

orthogonal to the main axis of the bike and using the cable tie supplied?

the new version allows 8,5 liters per minute, ( EDIT IT'S 8,5 lt ln 35 seconds) quite amazing due to the 11-12 microns filtration level (high beta) water separation and badly designed tank/airbox

we create fuel filters, not fuel strainers, to achieve a real barrier while refueling and NEVER have to face dirty fuel filters again, sorry, but we are science not magic ;)

cheers

ps, how's the engine performing with the Godzilla System?

;)
    Capo Rick likes this.
  13. fireman181

fireman181 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1090r and same problem filling - huge PITA
  14. peterhively

peterhively Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the whole guglatech system in my 1090 and I have no problem filling the tank right up to the top.

The tank is a little awkward to fill anyway with the tall tank, the shallow floor right under the cap, the cap is sort of in the way, handlebars and mirror can get in the way, etc. I arrange the hose and nozzle to my advantage, stick the nozzle in so it points toward the back of the tank where it's more open, and fill as fast with the sock as I could without it. If the tip of the nozzle isn't in the right place it spits back a little, I adjust where it's pointed, no big deal. I do have one of these, which helps by holding back the vapor recovery thing here in California.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/vapor-recovery-nozzle-tool.647816/
  15. Russtic

Russtic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here are the latest filters replaced recently on my 1290sa, gugla's kit ordered and on its way, I have the old fuel pump body now also, as the dealer used an old recall fixing kit he had to scavage for parts, didnt know there had been a recall, maybe before the 1290 came out. Dealer embarasment high, but KTM are in denial
    KTM are useless, by the way, very corporate "speak" meaningless platitudes and immense complacency that their deign must be great because it is theirs! plus the money they make selling these kits annually is a nice little earner for them

Attached Files:

ScooterNoMore and guglemonster like this.
  16. Doktor

Doktor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen it mentioned here but, paper filters have a big problem with water. If any water gets into your fuel system, the paper will swell reducing or completely blocking all flow.
    This may not always be obvious when looking at one. I've seen this many times on Autos, stalling, no power at highways speeds, etc. and the paper filter came in contact with water and the paper swelled almost completely closed.
    To the naked eye, it looks brand new but, it is ruined.
    ScooterNoMore and guglemonster like this.
  17. rubber_band

rubber_band Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I find the easiest method; aim the nozzle back towards myself down one side of the filler neck. Higher flow gas pumps are still a little tricky to top off. Slower ones make the job much easier.
    guglemonster and ScooterNoMore like this.
  18. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm being lazy here... but I'm looking for a verdict on fuel tank filling times with the 'new' filter media.

What's the consensus? Does the filter restrict flow enough to be annoying during fill up?

tx BK
  19. Clayton

Clayton 50 years of riding Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends on the pressure of the gas station pumps output. Sometime I have to move the nozzle around a bit to find the sweet spot and occasionally I have to feather fuel flow. It might take an extra minute or two over what it was before the filter install but nothing that makes me wish I had not installed the filter.
  20. rubber_band

rubber_band Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently took a multi-day trip with a couple guys on a F800GS and Africa Twin, both completely stock. My fill up times were not excessively longer.
    guglemonster likes this.