1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Guide Books / Pamphlets more than just Maps

Discussion in 'Americas' started by GasDepot, Sep 4, 2007.

1. GasDepot

GasDepot Sold the Cage

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about more than just maps I mean guides:deal
    I have 3 different sets of books I use for CA

1. Easyest roads in California Byways by Tony Huegel, 3 books in the CA set coast Serria and Desert. Good tank bag size.
    very sutiable for big bikes and road bikes with right tires/riders.

2. Next hardest roads in Backcountry Adventures by Peter Massey & Jeanne Wilson. The Northern & Southern California versions have alot about other things besides the routes like history, ghost towns, people ect,ect and are better to take along in a cage. I did not know of the versions MotoMuse found they look like only trail info and more tank bag frendly. LINK

3. Hardest routes I found are in Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells some very rough trails in that book. Size 6 X 9

There is always the Forest service maps some ranger districts have trail guides call the station near where you want to go. Talk to a field ranger for real trail info.
    BLM has some stuff also.

What do you have that rates trails
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    That's the kind of stuff we need for Mexico and Central America. So far, all I've used is the Rough Guide and such.

I borrowed a book on Motorcycle travel in Mexico a couple years ago. I can't remember too much about it, but seemed more like a general travel guide for those who just happen to be traveling by moto. Nothing like what you've described.
  3. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

keep an eye open for your local library book sale. here in hendo its the second week in sept. approximately 50,000 books..... very inexpensive. i've picked up lots of travel/adventure books for as little as .50 each. my wife and i take day packs with us and say "see ya later". last year we left with around 50 books for about 20 bucks. we put them back in the book sale bin at the library as we read them throughout the year.

read and ride on.

al:1drink
  4. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Can anyone list some guides that are suitable for motorcyclists looking to wander around the North East?
  5. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

might want to try looking at some bicycle touring guides. they're usually for back road travels. i don't know any specific titles though if thats what you were looking for.

al:1drink
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the mention, klroldschool. Those who are interested can sample some places on my Web site: www.backcountrybyways.com

Tony Huegel, author
    Backcountry Byways guidebooks
    KLR650 '08