Guided tour North Thailand, Laos etc

Discussion in 'Asia' started by brick rider, Jan 26, 2011.

1. brick rider

brick rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am looking to do a motorcycle ride in the Golden Triangle area, would prefer a guided tour or semi guided as this makes bike hire/accomodation etc much easier.
    But would like it to be relaxed fun trip, on a smaller capacity older bike, not too fussed with expensive hotels and bright lights and with a trip duration of about 3 weeks or so.
    Any one have a suggestion or can help out?
  2. griffin146

griffin146 Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer:
    You could browse www.gt-rider.com . A lot of resources from expats and locals there.
  3. Ranti

Ranti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any 3 weeks guided tour is going to be costly no doubt but Thailand and Laos are both very biker friendly countries. Border crossing and everything are pretty straight forward so I truly believe you can do well even on your own. Take a look at the suggested GT rider site and if you have any question please feel free to ask.
  4. GRF_Hans

GRF_Hans Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My friend Pete and I are currently riding through the Golden Triangle area, and I cannot stress enough how much of a help gt-rider has been! Their map of Laos has been an absolute godsend. Go to the gt-rider forums for a look-see.

However, I must add that a guided tour is really unnecessary IMO. We have been riding here in Laos for 4 days now (i know it's not that long), but have found everybody to be super helpful, and have met with several other riders in a few of the big cities. Route 13 (the north-south highway) is some of the best riding in Asia, despite the loads of construction going on right now, and there are plenty of hotels/hostels on the route. We will be going to Vientienne tomorrow morning!
  5. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I will agree as well, you can do it on your own. The GT-Rider maps look excellent.

No need for a guide in N. Thailand.
  6. xs400

xs400 Be seeing you

Oddometer:
    Check out Thai Motorcycle Touring > http://thaimotorcycletouring.com/
    I just got back from a tour with them and had a great time. Read my trip report on their tour here > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659690
  7. ULELUZE

ULELUZE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. eagle357

eagle357 Not Dead Yet

Oddometer:

A buddy and I just got home from riding around Laos for 10 days on a tour with Remote Asia Travel. Just the two of us and a guide, a lot of offroad areas that you might not find on your own.
    Jim Barbush and his wife Quynh run Remote Asia, and arranged a good, and inexpensive, tour for us.
    Green Discovery Tours also runs motorcyle tours in Laos.
    As for Thailand, GT Rider is the best. I've known David Unkovich for 10 years and had a few beers in Vientiane with him just a couple of weeks ago. He and his website possess a wealth of knowledge.