GUN TO MEXICO or CENTRAL AMERICA???

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kantuckid, Jan 5, 2008.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd pose a question on the BMW R1150R site regarding potential spare parts to take with me for my bike(2003 -1150R) while travelling in Mexico and Central America. In the thread that follows my post, this guy says I should take a gun. Now , I have seen nothing here about the subject and was under the impression that it was a no go idea to try and cross the border to Mexico with a gun. I know a guy who lives there in the winters that said he tried to come up with a way to do it and the only idea he ever succeded with , was to take an airgun down there. He was wanting to shoot a common local bird , that is good to eat, not particularly for protection.One person got in the thread stating that he thought it was OK as long as it was not a military caliber. What is the reality of this idea/subject?
  2. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    NO, no , no and no, (and, no).
  3. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I'll add another NO to that. I wouldn't even try to take a fake play gun down there.
  4. 2 Wheels

2 Wheels .

Oddometer:
    At all the border crossings to Mexico here in California you see signs with big letters saying "GUNS AND AMMUNITION ILLEGAL IN MEXICO" just before crossing into Mexico.

Even if you went shooting in the States and one round of ammunition fell under the seat in your car, that one round could get you into trouble in Mexico. I don't think it matters whether it's a military round or not.

I think Mexican citizens can get a permit to own a hunting rifle or shotgun in Mexico. If you want to go hunting in Mexico as a tourist, the way to do it would be at a hunting club. I just did a google search for "hunt mexico" and found some guided hunts. A hunt for desert bighorn sheep even came up.
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's the sign at the border crossing at Brownsville/Matamoros. Call me silly, but I'd call this a subtle hint:

[​IMG]
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been there a # of times and just thought I'd see what I could learn on the subject beyond my meager knowledge of the subject-thanks for your thoughts
  7. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Importing a gun without a permit brings you a minimum mandatory of 5 years in Mexican prison. :eek1 I have assisted clients with these cases, and they are extremely difficult because the Mexican government rightfully holds those caught out as examples for others.

You can get a hunting permit, but it is for rifles and/or shotguns only, and you are limited in the amount of ammunition you can bring.

Incidentally, it is also a crime to EXPORT a gun from the U.S. without a permit.

DO NOT TAKE A GUN TO MEXICO . . . if you are caught, you will be FUCKED!
  8. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    And to add to the pleasures of no guns, no drugs. If you have a prescription, make sure it is in the pharmacy issued bottle with your name on it.
    Military stops in Mexico are about finding illegal guns and drugs.
  9. ExDesertDog

ExDesertDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not no but Hell no. A friend of mine crossed into Mexico to buy something and forgot about having a few shells in the back seat. went directly to jail, cost $3K to get him out, now he can not go back.
  10. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Sure, and don't forget to bring the telephone number of the US Embassy. You're going to need them to get you dumb ass out of jail, not before a nice long stay there.

It's not like you can rationalize with the police or the military at the check points, "Sorry officer, I just brought this to shoot at birds" :doh . They're eagerly looking for an excuse to get back at you for having a better life than theirs.

You'll be safer bringing your common sense and not a gun.

If you feel you have to pack a gun, why bother going?
  11. Pughy

Pughy Dai in Cornwall

Oddometer:
    Being British I wouldnt take / buy / borrow a Gun anywhere.......all the more reason for people to shoot you if you have one !!
  12. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    I'm riding through Baja right now (sans weapons or illegal drugs, of course). Last week a highly intoxicated long-term expat living in Cabo San Lucas told me (unprompted) that I should carry a flare gun in the boondocks - totally legal in Mexico, plenty dangerous, and might actually be useful to summon help.

Personally, I'm going to pass.

Jeff
  13. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Never trust expats in Cabo. They have too much money. To get common sense from an expat, you have to go to La Paz. Better yet, Mulege or Santa Rosalia. Loreto used to have sensical expats, but it has become gentrified and artsy. Sort of like the Aspen, but more . . . well . . . Mexican.

Flare guns are great if you want to signal that you are in distress. But, a guy holding a .45 is going to laugh out loud when you try doing a Wyatt Earp quick draw with it. Better off to play dumb, hand over your money, and walk away with your life. (If you're lucky, they'll take your wife, too. Let THEM pay her credit card bills. :lol3 )
  14. forward

forward n00b

Oddometer:
    I have travelled extensively in Somalia, Sudan, the frontier of Kenya and a number of other crazy, unstable places.

Only an idiot travels with a gun.
  15. ezrydr

ezrydr Dead Man Riding

Oddometer:
    Don't even think about it. Mexican gun laws are draconian, even for their own citizens. (The penalties are almost as horrendous as their shooting-homicide rate. Ah, the benefits of strict gun control....)
  16. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:
    Man NO ARMAS EN MEXICO for your safty.
  17. frank wheelbarrow

frank wheelbarrow ten four

Oddometer:
    NORTHERN UTAH, PLANET EARTH ITS ALL THE SAME!!!
    Oh but, in Guatamala you will feel like your in the wild, wild, west. One straped on, and a hidden one under the hat with extended magazine.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  18. gageezer

gageezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ted Simon, in his excellent book "Jupiter's Travels" said that he never carried a gun on his trip around the world in the 70s on a Triumph 500 because, "having a gun might make me act in ways that would make it necessary to use a gun."
  19. hgulledge

hgulledge Adventurer-of-sorts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, that has to be the goofiest stretch of logic ever.
  20. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Nothing at all goofy about it...if someone sticks a gun in your face and you pull your gun, someone is likely to pull the trigger...much less likely if only 1 gun is involved...taking a gun into Mexico is the 2nd most stupid thing you can do...number one being drugs...