GUN TO MEXICO or CENTRAL AMERICA???

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kantuckid, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Itchykawa

Itchykawa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOAH!! 7 years in prison? No bail for 10 months? As much as 60,000.00 dollars to defend yourself? Banned from the country forever?.... Possibly for something as mediocre as a shell that may have been left under your car seat by the previous owner?

DAMN!!!:eek2 What would a real crime like jaywalking or spitting on the sidewalk get you - 20 to life hard labor?

With all the tough gun control in Mexico you would think it would be perfectly safe to go there. The old pro-gun slogan, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns", must be true. I guess that is why marrauding gangs of armed bandits preying on helpless tourists is sort of common there. In America that would be a risky occupation, seeing as how much of the "victim pool" might just be somewhat capable of defending themselves.:2guns

Mexico SUCKS!!! :viking 'em. I'll just stay here, thank you. No wonder they are all swimming the river.

Score 1 for America and the 2nd ammendment.:clap
  2. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:
    I have to ask: For those of you who say that your friend had a single bullet in his/her car and got busted, HOW THE BLAZING FUCK DID ANYONE FIND OUT? I mean, when I went to Mexico, I could have armed 20 Rambos for all the searching the Mexican police and military did of my bike. I just rode into each check point,and they waved me through. Hell, I even rolled back into the US with nothing more than the BP opening each case. Could have smuggled in enough cocaine to give 20 Scarfaces a good high.

Did your pals give the Mexicans attitude or something that would cause the 'cans to rip their car apart? Or did they just have bullets rolling around the floor? Or were the Mexicans who "searched" my bike lazier than the average check point agents?
  3. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Yes, please do. You and your six fingered cousins can diddle each other all you want whilst eating pickled pigs knuckles, listening to country music, and wax poetic on the beauty of the red, white and blue.

But, in between plucking hairs from your cousin's . . . er . . . wife's ass, you might want to pull out your trusty copy of the Constitution, and reread old number two. It doesn't say quite what you think.

One more thought . . . where I live, in San Diego, the land used to belong to Mexico until it was conquered and taken by the United States in one of the most lop-sided, mean spirited, and grossly oppressive treaties ever signed between bordering states in the Americas. As such, it doesn't seem quite cricket to be complaining about "them" coming into "our" back yard.
  4. Objectivist

Objectivist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Militia - armed adult populace to be called upon as needed.
    The people - see amendments I, IV, IX, X.
    Shall not be infringed - duh.

That said, and realizing that Mexico, like most not-free countries, is indeed a defensless victim zone, I still intend to enter and explore. I doubt it is much worse than our similar high-risk zones such as DC and Chicago.
  5. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Well put...although I might point out that Spain took Mexico from the previous owner...
  6. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:

Who, the Natives?
  7. Miguel AL

Miguel AL Always on the Run

Oddometer:
    Since Mexico is still an independent country, it seems to me that if they decided to ban the use of underwear, it is their problem.

Some people can accept that there are different cultures and civilizations. What´s the sense in making the whole world the same thing? We travel to know different ways of life, different people, different uses. If and when all the world become the same, there will be no more fun in traveling.

The American Constitution is, for sure, a libel on freedom. But freedom can be a different concept for different people. Let them decide for themselves.
  8. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said Miguel.

Kenny
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    But one short chapter in a very thick book....

As history tells....
    Maybe only originating from what is now named Ethiopia many eons ago gives one a free pass. :)
  10. Sparkdaddy

Sparkdaddy aventurero

Oddometer:

You really should try traveling sometime Hill Billy, I mean Itchykawa.:D
    Start by crossing the county line and slowly working your way out.
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I see that your sig says that you are in "southern Appalachia." I am from not too far away from what I consider southern Appalachia - I was born in Danville, KY and am a UK (Univ. of Kentucky for you Brits) grad.

And you and I know that many people who have never been to Appalachia think that everyone in your neck of the woods is an ignorant, low-IQ, gun-carrying hick that hasn't evolved since the Hatfields got into it with the McCoys.

Which you and I both know is an unfair stereotype.

Well, let me just say that, judging from your post, I doubt that you have ever been traveling in Mexico. Because your have the same sort of "quality insight" into the ways that things work in Mexico as many ignorant people have about the area that you are living in.

Just saying ... :wink:
  12. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean we're not all really a bunch of bug-eyed, inbred, hillbillys? Hmmm, who'd a thunk it?

Kenny
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Well ... only some of us. :eek1 :lol3

I used to get pissed at folks who would diss Kentuckians. Now I get pissed at folks who diss the Mes'cans. Some good folks down there. And they love riders.

So don't get cocky Bubba. 'cause I have also lived in Raleigh and Wilmington, and I know all 'bout you dudes from the Carolinas :wink:
  14. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are so right. I have some friends who get upset about the unfair redneck/cracker/hillbilly/etc. sterotype of us folks from the south. I always try to just blow it off as I just assume those people didn't really have a clue about us southerners.

Likewise about some peoples attitudes toward Mexicans. They don't know them, probably never talked to one, and sure as hell don't understand their situation in life.

Mexico is a poor country but Mexicans are a very proud people. Most are hard-working, honest folks just trying to provide for their families the best they can.

And as to the comments about the gun laws in Mexico, well it's not what you or I am accustomed to at home but it is the law in Mexico. If you are going to visit their country then you should plan to abide by their laws or suffer the consequences.

You gotta be able to laugh about it. :D

Inbred Rednecks

[​IMG]

Kenny
  15. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    This ain't dead yet????? :augie
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Sweetmeat the Midget? Now that's funny! :eek1 :lol3
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started this thread knowing full well that you are nuts to take a gun into Mexico but interested in the thoughts that would come forth about the subject. I am not a full blown hillbilly having done my first 30 yrs in KS and the past 34 in eastern KY(married to the real thing and have 3 kids that are I guess half-blooded hillbillies-HA!) and can honestly say that these people suffer no fools! I am not only knowledgeable about guns and gun control, I have an interest in the way the ownership/control of guns comes forth in other countries. I just got back from 3-4000 miles of Mexico(ride report forthcoming)and there are plenty of guns around, but I never saw a citzen with one, only uniformed types.One day, I was asked for money by an armed soldier at one of the common Mexican Army roadblocks, to which I replied "NFW!!!" and drew him a picture of my fomer rank -which seemed to intimidate him- and provided my entertainment for the day. BTW, the cops in Mexico are one of the best armed/noticeable uniformed police groups I have ever seen. They always seem to have an automatic weapon in hand, and are one of the best sources of travel information around-besides taxi drivers in the towns.

To the Brit that posted his alarm at the ownership/use of guns: You are welcome to visit my home/farm-In fact I am listed in the BMWMOA Anonymous Book for the very purpose of being helpful . I will make this warning though, If I have unwanted visitors to my home(read breaking in,etc.) they will be shot, with the first few rounds intended to incapacitate them and at that point , if necessary ,I will shoot to kill. There is nothing more in this statement(not trying to sound macho at all) than to make it clear to you that you are getting away from the original purpose of the thread, but nonetheless, you made it clear I needed to say that, in the USA, some of us heartily disagree with your position. I know there are other points of view and think they lack the balance of power that comes with a basic freedom that is provided via our U.S. Constitution to our people. I also happen to live in a "right to carry" state, which you are welcome to visit. Interestingly, I live in an area of the country where it is quite common , to not have to go to much trouble to secure personal property. We leave items about our yards and barns expecting them to still be there the next day.There is obviously much more that can be said about this subject of guns, but I suggest it is fully addressed in a number of books. I have read that your cops are satrting to carry guns again.
    I found the Tijuana comments interesting, having been thru there in 1954,1956,1972,1995,1998, and then as long as you stayed away from certain places, it was a better town that what you commonly heard about it based on servicemembers going to seedy bars , etc..
  18. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Ok, WHERE IS THE RIDE REPORT??????????????????????????????????????? :ear

Where did you go? I LOVE Mexico . . . every day I am not riding down there is a wasted day, as far as I am concerned.
  19. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    Oh...dishonesty. :asshat

Okay...You're on total ignore now.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said I wanted to take a gun into Mexico and having said clearly that I was making an inquiry on the subject for further knowledge, I am now accused of dishonesty? I thought it was an intellectual inquiry, not a false question. There has been much light shed on this subjecy by some very knowledgeable persons , plus some opinionated reactions that caused me to react in turn with my 2cents. Dishonesty and being ignored , I never would have thought...:eek1