GUN TO MEXICO or CENTRAL AMERICA???

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kantuckid, Jan 5, 2008.

1. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    On the rest of the internet this kind of thing is called a TROLL :moon

Jeff
  2. Itchykawa

Itchykawa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :csm
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    like they check @ the borders..... i wouldn't go so far as to say that. Maybe not fly in on a passport, but driving across... pfft.... i've never been checked in the 4 years, i've been crossing every day.
  4. beechum1

Oddometer:
    here here.. learn to be a hard target.
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Mex Jails, at least in TJ are no fun. concrete or iron beds, with or without a blanket, only if your family or friends bring you one. No food unless your family or friends bring it to you. watching your back if you're a white boy is even worse in there than it is in the US. I suggest that you learn spanish before coming to MX, it will be your saviour if you ever get into any problems.
  6. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Ei . . . ya he visto k vives in Tijuana . . . trabajas alla tambien? Yo cruzo 3 o 4 veces por semana. Kieres manejar juntos?
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Troll? humm... Is that bad?I am not up on all this web terminology, please clue me in. The only troll I know is a bastard that waits under the bridge and scares little kids that come along.
    I asked a clearly stated question about the subject of "guns in Mexico"and furthermore,I stated my own idea of an answer to the subject while asking for more knowledge. It turned out to be an interesting thread, don't you think? Many replied with great answers, while one Brit chimed in with a "gun control" statement" straight out of Bill & Hillarys back pocket-I couldn't pass up that opportunity to respond(as a 2nd amendment guy), now could I?
    I will say that I spent over 3000k in Mexico recently and never showed anything to anybody -except money for gas ,food ,lodging ,beer and trinkets,etc.. Occasionally the army would poke around my luggage while checking out the bike. The drug lords would do well if they modeled their mules after me-old gringo fart on a BMW bike who says he is a tourista...
    Pelon-what the hell did you just say? and yes I'll do the ride report when I get my wife to download the pics for me!
  8. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    I just asked him if he works in Tijuana, b/c I do, too, (at times), and suggested we go for a ride together.

Now that I have answered you, indulge me and reread the second amendment. Most constitutional scholars will agree that it does NOT guarantee individual rights to bear arms. Rather, it is a collective, or community, derived 'right' to protect ourselves with an armed militia. Ergo, gun control laws continue to flourish.

While I grudgingly respect the rights of individuals to own guns, I also deplore the senseless brutality and savagery that results from the same. A HUGE percentage of gun related fatalities are mishaps gone horribly wrong. We desperately need to educate our citizenry on the hazards of gun ownership, and to mandate safety devices for guns stored in the home.

Rant over.

Cheers

Pelon
  9. MilesBrooklyn

MilesBrooklyn perambulator

Oddometer:
    i´m in mexico right now.
    there are cops everywhere.
    we haven´t been hassled by local, federal or even custums. however, we have been thoroughly searched by the military twice so far.
    you´d have to have a pretty good hiding spot for them not to find it.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I refuse to argue anymore about gun laws/2nd amendment-could never end plus I know better than to argue with a lawyer!
  11. brp2004

brp2004 In your head

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a a lawyer as well and I totally disagree with Pelon's position. It all depends on which scholars you want to listen to conservative or liberal. Currently the supreme court has a case in front of them regarding this issue District of Columbia v. Heller. Although their upcoming ruling will only pertain to DC, it should give you an opinion of what the current court thinks.

Don't believe everything you hear on the web.
  12. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    . . . or read, for that matter. :rolleyes
  13. CDNRider

CDNRider Banned

Oddometer:
    Bump on a very amusing thread (no troll intended). Pelon and Miguel are my heros.

I'm heading solo down to Baja California on a very poorly planned trip in a couple of weeks, and being from Canada, Mexico (aside from Club Med crap) is exotic/DANGEROUS. Several friends are shocked that I'd consider it given the risks. That's why I read this thread.

I have one handgun and several long guns, but the only time I bother to wade through the locks to get at them is to check whether they need oil. I'd NEVER consider them as protection. Heck if I can get the kids to lock the door when then come in, I'm protected.

My perspective on guns was formed when I asked a (gun-toting) friend: (he legally carried a sidearm for "protection") Q: "When have you ever thought you needed it"), A: "Never, YET"

-----
    '05 R1200GS
    '02 K1200LT
  14. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    When and where?

I will be in San Felipe on 11/3 - 16/3 for the 250. I will either be on my black 990 w/ a white helmet, or in a very old and battered and still vaguely red Land Cruiser pulling a very dirty 450 EXC. (The latter, of course, being my preference!) Let me know if you need route information, etc. If you want, I can PM you my contact info in case you need a life line down there. I am 20 minutes from the border (30 if I obey the law), and have friends up and down the peninsula who usually are more than happy to lend a hand.

Have a great trip! :D
  15. CDNRider

CDNRider Banned

Oddometer:
    Very cool! When and where? Huh? What, me worry?

Thanks! I'll PM you.

I must say (being new here) - from Baldy down this is a great crew.