1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns to Inuvik?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 4corners14, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are the rules regarding weapons crossing into NWT on the way to Inuvik....and then back into Alaska on the way back? We leave from Anchorage and we don't want to have problems.....
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Trying to take a handgun into Canada is a very bad idea.
    sieg, marbee40, ThatGuy and 1 other person like this.
  3. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
  4. 4corners14

Oddometer:
    The guns are flying into Anchorage. Mostly wondering about what the crossing from AK into CA on the way to Inuvik is like? I'll have the right paperwork for my pistol grip 12 gauge with me. The pistols will stay in Anchorage for the Inuvik loop and come out for the Deadhorse loop. See any problems with that line of thought? Everyone will have spray and horns.....but if that's not enough......
  5. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leave your guns at home. Geez......
    brgsprint and Tom S like this.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    long gun are not that much of a problem... just papers. forget hand guns
    sieg likes this.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? What the hell for? :scratch
    WhicheverAnyWayCan and sieg like this.
  8. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just like clockwork...someone asks a legitimate firearm question...and out come the "why...Leave them at home...OMG you're so paranoid..." types posting completely useless comments. We get it, you dont like guns... why are you so compelled to post on someone's thread asking for information? Either provide some answers, actual experiences, or STFU.

When I looked into it, this site has some helpful info:
    http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...ting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/
    OnOff, cprbusa, AKJeeper and 9 others like this.
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like guns. I just ask 'why?'. Seems strange to fly a bunch of them up here for a motorcycle trip. Let 4corners speak for himself.
    AZQKR likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't forget those little bells ya wear on a cord around your neck.

the customs guys at the border might not like that pistol grip shotgun, better check the regs. you're about to find out what a complete PITA it is to carry a gun on the bike in Canada. i've brought guns into Canada many times for hunting, but only once for travel through AB, BC, YT, NT, and AK...never again.
  11. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is "Why?" relevant to the original question "What are the rules regarding weapons crossing into NWT on the way to Inuvik....and then back into Alaska on the way back?"

What difference does it make for the reason? You either know the rules and can provide them...or you have an experience that is helpful. Posting "Why? What the hell for? :scratch" is neither an answer or helpful.
    cprbusa, 4951tomm, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  12. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the WHY is simple. Are you concerned about large critters or bad guy? Both are good reasons. Unfounded but always a reason for concern. Have a safe trip.
    4951tomm and Beezer like this.
  13. Beezer

Oddometer:
    and just like clockwork when someone asks "why bother with a gun".... some one else jumps in to help "save the gun" or possibly "protect" our 2nd Amendment rights and insist on the need to ... Either provide some answers, actual experiences, or STFU.

why bother? because its a pain in the ass to deal with. but, as I posted earlier, its not that hard to do if you want to, all it takes is papers. and ya, I own guns. I don't have my first one (JC Higgins 22) but I still have my second one... JC Higgins 12 ga pump. got that in about 1964. and ya, dad worked for Sears
    AZQKR and Tom S like this.
  14. Ken Woods

Ken Woods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the "why" as well, fwiw. Maybe I'm missing something? It's a pain in the ass, but perhaps there's a good reason to carry while on this trip?

(.....and no, before anybody asks, I'm not anti-gun----I'm at the range on Wednesdays (every Wednesday, year round) from 2-3:30, for 20 rounds)
    4951tomm likes this.
  15. Beezer

Oddometer:
    well.... "down north" where the OP is heading (the Mac flows north) the bears are more hungry (like all interior bears). and, if you fool around where polar bears live... they will stalk you, because everything is food to them.... it's almost the only thing they think about... other than sex. bears eat until they are horney, then they fuck until they get hungry. they are a more serious creature

if you are on the road system... camping in maintained spots, there is almost no chance of a bear encounter. the Canadians are very good about bear control in those areas. if you camp off road and/or away from established sites, the chances of an encounter increase. lets say you camped off road, 20 miles south of Kluane Lake... chances of an encounter are pretty high. not sure why, but the buggers are all over down there & have no fear. if you want to pioneer camping spots, get some local knowledge.

fwiw... I have a guide friend that takes people into the Brooks range... to see polar bears. think about that one... the Brooks

PS, I would take one of my guns except its a big pain in the ass. a dozen D2Ds, more than a dozen Alcan transits.... I have never felt that I really needed one, so... meh
    4951tomm, marbee40 and akgsa like this.
  16. Beezer

Oddometer:
    ha ha... let me remind you.... bears eat until they are horney, then they fuck until they get hungry. yer ok as long as you don't look or smell like bear food or bear genitals.
    AK650 likes this.
  17. Beezer

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to say bear pussy, but that is sexist. so I didn't
    AK650 and Tom S like this.
  18. 4corners14

Oddometer:
    Thank You! We do what we can to remain safe, and stay within the rules.
    4951tomm likes this.
  19. 4corners14

Oddometer:
    Any idea where I can find the bells necklace? Amazon didn't have them.... :-) The shotgun meets the Non- Restricted guidelines and we'll only be in Canada long enough to go to Inuvik and back to border on way to Anchorage.
  20. 4corners14

Oddometer:

Twice we will be as far North as the roads allow. I have a particular aversion to bears from a childhood experience and as a result I hold dearly to the "better to have it and not need it, than….."
    4951tomm, Sidehil and Beezer like this.