Guns to Inuvik?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 4corners14, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    very wrong, since firearms are lethal while pepper sprays are not. there are days of reading on the subject if interested, but there is a bottom line. you need to know what you're carrying, be it spray or firearm. you need to be very familiar and effective with either, maybe trained is a better word. Lastly, the spray or firearm has to be instantly accessible, in other words, you have to wear it in the open, can't be under layers of clothing or packed away in the gear. reminds me of the guy i met walking down the road near Chicken, he had his Dirty Harry 44 mag in a cross draw chest holster on the outside of his coat, that kind of accessible.

i guess i could add...don't be stupid around bears. i've used poor judgement around bears a few times to get a photo, but i quit doing that stuff before my luck runs out.
    Beezer likes this.
  2. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pepper spray is great......if you're dealing with a grizzly/brown bear, and the wind is calm, or better yet, the bear is down wind. If it's a predatory black bear, or any bear up wind, you'll have a nice spicy kick when the bear takes the first bite. At least you won't see it happening, as your eyes will be burning and watering so badly.

As always, the gray matter between your ears, is the best bear defense. At home in Alaska, sure I pack a revolver, as it's what I'm familiar/comfortable with. In Canada, I don't, as it's just too much of a hassle. Camp in common camping areas, and not alone in out of the way places, and don't sweat it.

Threads involving firearms, are damn near as entertaining as oil, ATGATT, etc threads......:)

Jeff
    Parke119, bigjohnsd, Beezer and 2 others like this.
  3. tiny-wheel-200

tiny-wheel-200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    though it wasnt clear what tge ops reason for bring guns to canada was...if its for bears its really worth understanding bear behavior and body language. this video and many otgers goes a long way toward understanding tgese things and avoiding conflict..

also for what its worth...nearly all tge bear attacks in southcentral have one thing in common. the victim was moving fast either on a bike or running. apparently they( like other animals) tend to associate speed with a threat to their safety.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hand guns are a real challenge, we carry a folding shotgun into Canada with no issues... declare, produce the paperwork, pay the transport fee.. travel on
    dirtdoug and 4951tomm like this.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it depends upon the size of the canister of bear spray... larger cans are permitted small cans are not because they are considered a personal defense item...
  6. tiny-wheel-200

tiny-wheel-200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    exactly. ifyour spray says self defense spray it is illegal in canada. it it says bear spray it is all ok and no problem. the size of it doesnt matter as I understand it. just the labeling is what's important for the border guard. yay canada. and whatever.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
    akgsa likes this.
  7. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    As always, the great GUN debate provides me with enlightening reading. Been booting around my homeland (Canada) on bikes and truck camping for most of my 70 years. NEVER had the desire, need, urgency, necessity or interest in packing any kind of gun on a camping trip. Hunting trips ..of course are a different issue. So to simplify it for the "GottaHavaGun" group....bring a legal long gun to Canada if you plan to hunt game here, and leave your fucking handguns, ARs, sawed off 12ga. and other military grade weapons ta fuck at HOME and if you can't grasp that concept, then simply stay ta fuck at HOME and save everybody the hassle of dealing with your gun fetish.

You're welcome
    knight likes this.
  8. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check my sig line, and with that, I'll be heading up there in less than 3 weeks myself, and I'm NOT bringing any guns into Canada, long or otherwise nor shipping anything to Ak. to wait for me.

Why? Because I'm NOT guncentric, even as the sig line site might suggest differently.

Geesh, some people automatically believe the OMG types are anti gun. That assumption is false.
  9. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo!!!!!!!! Thus as an instructor who has carried for 40+ years nearly every day when I could, I'm not taking one on my trip in a few weeks.
  10. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need to calm to fuck down on the stay to fuck home pal. People in your country might not have the right to make choices, but here in the states, it's a god given right. And if someone wants to go through the BS of getting one into and out of that country, that's their perogative.
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ahhhh.... "self evident" rights. it was written that way on purpose
  12. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    And canadians continue to show their colors...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    AZQKR likes this.
  13. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    not sure what that is supposed to mean but to be clear, the USA has never had a closer, better ally than Canada. they are our friends.
    Bigbob1, 4951tomm, ThatGuy and 5 others like this.
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Well said, Beezer.
    Beezer and Suitcase like this.
  15. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Funny eh !! "A God Given Right"...you need to rethink such things as what rights god gives out versus what your revolutionary government crafted as amendments to ensure that a public militia would be available for civil defense in the 1700 and 1800's. Those days are long gone, as are your needs to own and liberally spray lead from military grade weapons at public gatherings. If the USA didn't own the title of most domestic violence on the planet, outsiders such as us Canuks would view you in a different light...but your record speaks volumes about your so called "God Given Right".
  16. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    And right you are Kevin ...reminds me of the wee bit of aid you rendered me in Prince George ?6 or 7? years ago. Maybe you recall stopping at a Tim Hortons to wait out a big rain squall on the west side of PG (on your way as was I to Dawson YT). I got off my scooter and was leaving my helmet hung off the bike...like a bucket...I'll never forget your advice to bring the helmet inside so it wouldn't fill up with water... sage advice and appreciated.
  17. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2a stands today as it did in 1776, in case you hadn't noticed. The 2a granted the population to own the same firearms the govt clould potentially use against them. In that regard, the mil grade semi's represent the same lack of disparity from when EVERYONE including the gov carried muskets.

As for the worlds most violent country, you are seriously uninformed. Perhaps if you were just speaking out your ass because your mouth knows better. https://www.atlasandboots.com/most-dangerous-countries-in-the-world-ranked/

It's useless to argue with someone like you who doesn't understand the 2a or our citizens rights nor can intelligently speak of the subject of the worlds most dangerous countries.

Or perhaps this link, showing the worlds top 25 list of countries with the highest per capita murder rate/ https://list25.com/25-countries-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-world/5/

The U.S. isn't on the list in the top 25, let alone most "domestic violence". Get your facts straight before you look more the fool than you already have about the U S of A

The homicide rate in Canada is 1.68 per 100K people. The U.S is 4.9 per 100K. Canada has 31.5 million. U.S is 360 million. To carry those numbers forward, the u.S would have to have a homicide rate of 17.0 per 100K to carry the same percentage based on population as Canada.

My suggestion to you? Speak when you know what to hell you're talking about, not before unless you want to be made to look like the fool.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    And here I'm thinking he just wanted to do some plinking.

Some of you folks are wound up, TIGHT.
  19. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    He asked about a pistol shotgun, that didn't suggest he wanted to bring it for plinking lol
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    I've used mine for clays a handful of times. :dunno

edit: and its a pistol grip. not a pistol shotgun. whatever that is.
    OnOff likes this.