Guns to Inuvik?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 4corners14, Jun 13, 2018.

1. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's classified as a pistol, it's bore diameter is that of a shotgun, thus a pistol shotgun. It has a pistol grip which was made as a pistol, not converted which would require a 5.00 tax stamp as an AOW. It may be used for aerial work, but that's not it's design parameters nor intended primary use. It's a pistol and thus can't be purchased by anyone under 21 in most states in the US.

It may more technically be called a "pistol grip shotgun" by many, but it's sold as a pistol and it shoots shotgun shells, not rifle or pistol calibers. Thus it's a shotgun pistol, or conversely a pistol [ as per the 4473 ] in a shotgun caliber.

It's highly unlikey he would be jumping through the hoops to bring it if it was simply for plinking.

I also note you limit who can view your profile, hmm.
  2. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether they are showing their colors or not, I haven't a clue. But one in particular here is showing his ignorance of the US Constitution and the 2a. Not fully unexpected from our northern canuck friends. I'm seriously considering bringing one home as a pet. :D
  3. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    My Mossberg has a pistol grip and an AR stock. Does that make it a pistol shotgun assault rifle?
  4. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, more like an abomination :D
    Dogslobber likes this.
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I suggest you take this drivel to a forum that cares.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  6. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    A forum is inanimate, it has no feelings. Are you speaking for all forums members? :D
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    "The homicide rate in Canada is 1.68 per 100K people. The U.S is 4.9 per 100K. " .... if your numbers are correct, we (USA) have 2.916 times more, or... 291% if you like. and no.... there is no extrapolation in unit relationships.

as for the 2nd... it's intent is quite clear.. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,..." thats how the 2nd starts, that is the statement of purpose and intent. to implement this amendment, the obligations of Congress are listed in Article I, Section 8. they are required "to raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years. To provide and maintain a navy." in other words.... no standing army, because they know what happens when you have an army with nothing to do. the navy, on the other hand, protects the main mode of transportation and commerce. but no army... that's where the militias come in, to be ready to defend until an army can be assembled, if needed. Article I Section 8 further includes instruction on how these militia are to be organized. Congress must make arrangement " to provide for organization, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the appointment of the officers and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by congress." which sounds to me like the National Guard.

edit: anyway... thats what my copy of our constitutional amendments says (the stuff in yellow)
    4951tomm likes this.
  8. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeez...….I just wanted to know what to expect from the border crossing.:scratch
    dirtdoug, marbee40, skierd and 2 others like this.
  9. Non compos mentis

Non compos mentis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m thankful for Canada, because they keep Alaska safe from the rest of the US. Also the arm on the space shuttle was pretty cool. So thanks Canada for being a good neighbor.

On a slightly more serious vein, can we accept the logistical answers and perspectives on guns in Canada and drop the gun debate? Suggested relaxing topics could include the merits of “give way” in the common wealth vs whatever they call what we do instead or perhaps why Marmite was invented?
    Suitcase, ThatGuy and Dogslobber like this.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    What will truly be helpful in cementing our relationship with Canada is for the Canadian members to devulge their secret recipes for making their nation treasure and ultimate health food.... poutine.
  11. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Took a long gun with me last year. Paperwork and $25 Can
    18" barrel and 28" overall length, up to 5,000 rounds of ammo, have paperwork filled out and in hand when you pull up. 10 minute process at the most, they didn't even look at the rifle (45 long colt lever action)
    dirtdoug and 4951tomm like this.
  12. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    With 10x the number of people, of course.

And 90% of the homicides are in the cities in the US. Look up the crimes being committed in the cities of Toronto, Montreal, and other major cities of Canada, virtually identical to the US. We just have hundreds more cities than the canucks.

Oh, and lets not forget the Heller decision, where SCOTUS determined 2a was an individuals right and had nothing to do with the national guard.
    4951tomm likes this.
  13. Non compos mentis

Non compos mentis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s the kind of info I was following this thread for. Not sure I have the patience to handload 5,000 rounds at once, but it’s nice to know the number allowed all the same.
    AZQKR likes this.
  14. Beezer

Oddometer:
    yep Heller..... decision spearheaded by Anton Scallia, the same guy that stopped counting the votes in the re-count before all the votes were tallied. its odd how we get where we are
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it matter who spearheaded it or what else they've done/not done in other matters? Justices majority voted it's an individual right, thus it stands as an individual right.

Seems you disagree it's an individual right, that's YOUR right to disagree with their decision. See how these "rights" issues work? lol

As for the canuck who thinks we're all a bunch of wingnuts, his opinion is worthless, not being a U.S. citizen. I deal with lots of Canucks here in Az. They winter snowbird here and most have an negative attitude about how we conduct business in the U.S. Of course, they can take their attitude and shove it, they are here as "guests" of the U.S.
    4951tomm and akgsa like this.
  16. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Thanx for clearing up the issue..I was certain that the 2a had nothing to do with a "right" given to americans by god.
  17. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Our Quebecois brudders invented that most delicious combination of high grade artery clogging confection The real secret here is how the poobahs and rajahs came up with legalized weed.
  18. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness was enumerated in the Constitution. The right to defend oneself is a god given right, it was recognized by the founders and incorporated into the bill of rights as such. He didn't clear up diddly squat. SCOTUS affirmed the right in Heller as an individual right.

Anyone who doesn't believe they have a god given right to defend themselves is out of touch with reality/.

James Madison stated, for example, that “the great principle of self-preservation” was a “transcendent law of nature and of nature’s God.Madison's important contribution to the overall creation of the Constitution earned him the nickname "Father of the Constitution"

John Quincy Adams said that this phrase, Presupposes the existence of a God, the moral ruler of the universe, and a rule of right and wrong, of just and unjust, binding upon man, preceding all institutions of human society and of government.

Adams’ statement recognizes that God has revealed his law to men and that this law is binding upon everyone. The phrase “Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God” was a common way to assert that God had revealed his law through two outlets: nature and the Bible.

Thus the founders of this country recognized the god given right to self defense. The country was founded on such principles. Thus when beezer states "it's intent is quite clear" and simply quotes part of the 2a, he's stating his opinion of literal words, not the opinions of the founders. More people should read the federalist papers, and learn what the founders of the U.S. actually believed when they wrote and then signed the damned document which created this great nation.

On the other hand, Canada still remained a colony within the British Empire and was thus subordinate to the British Parliament until the enactment of the Statute of Westminster in 1931. Most are aware of how the British view firearms and self defense even to this day. Is it no wonder Canada's present day gun laws mirror so closely that of Britain?

More historical readings and less subjective opinion would be nice where bringing guns into Canada is concerned. As I stated some posts ago, I'm not interested in bringing a firearm with me on my way through Canada to Ak. But the fact remains Canada does recognize and have means for people to do so if they want to jump through the hoops, irrespective of it's individual subjects opinions here.
    4951tomm likes this.
  19. Beezer

Oddometer:
    I was stating literal words, not opinions. to me it is plain that the 2nd had to do with the military. the right to own guns for protection and to feed the family is a different thing. and btw, I own and use guns. have for 60 years.
    4951tomm likes this.
  20. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you were stating an opinion based on literal words by your mention of the 2a sounding as if it pertained to national guard. SCOTUS has rendered a ruling on the literal words which holds it's an individual right, thus your opinion means nothing more than your opinion, not fact. The facts are self evident based on their decision of Heller.
    Heller has nothing to do with the military, national guard etc.

SCOTUS rendered their decision based on the founders "intent" enumerated in the 2a. They are far more educated on 2a's intent based on the founders writings than most, having done their due diligence and research on the founders original intent expressed in 2a.

If you'd have read the federalist papers and the writings of the various founders regarding their opinions, you'd have not expressed the opinion that 2a had anything to do with the national guard.