Guns to Inuvik?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 4corners14, Jun 13, 2018.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I always carry an 8" S&W Model 629 over the border. Stainless and in a Diamond D chest holster.

I look at the border guard like it's too sunshiny out even when it's raining and I tell them to address me as Officer Callahan.

Then I look off into the distance and sneer some more.

Practice that and you should be good to go.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I had one of those. never managed to perfect the sneer...
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Ahhh... take time and much plactice, Glasshoppah

[​IMG]
    Beezer likes this.
  4. Beezer

Oddometer:
    and when you can snatch the keys to the Studibaker from my hands..... you will go...
  5. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My follow up report - No real problems with the shotgun at the border heading east towards Inuvik...I had the specs for the gun and all the paperwork filled out in triplicate. She took the gun inside and I was asked to follow through the public door. Ultimately, because she wanted to be sure....she said if it's sold in Canada she'd allow it. It is, and she did. At the same time I asked for the form from the US side to make re-entry into Alaska easier. On the way back I declared the weapon, provided the paperwork and was good. He didn't even ask to see it.

Much to the delight of many here I'm sure....in the 12 days and 4,000 miles we rode.....not one of us actually saw a bear. There were posted notices in several places we were at about recent sightings, and T-Bone the bear dog at Eagle Plains Lodge took off after a couple in the 3 days we were there, but we never saw one. It wasn't really an issue to pack it, and I'm really glad I didn't need to take it out. We made both destinations....Tuk and Prudhoe Bay. You all live in beautiful country!
    dirtdoug, akgsa, dogon2whls and 4 others like this.
  6. Beezer

Oddometer:
    I saw 4 black bear in what is basically down town Anchorage yesterday (Mountain View, near the park by JBER gate)... fuckers crossed the road in front of me on M/V drive. when I was a kid, bears kept their distance. they knew that if they showed themselves it was death. my first unsupervised outing I hiked Russian River, the upper lake area in 1965... never saw a bear. ya, see their tracks... 14" heel to toe... still filling with water.. thats how close they were. never saw one though, until he tried to get into the canin with us (hilarious story, ha ha), but as soon as he knew we were there... he took off like a shot. when I lived in Juneau, we chased them (several times) (black bears) trying to swat their asses (I never got that close, but not for lack of trying). anyway, bears knew better all through the late 60's, 70's, 80's.... bears vanished when humans show up. that is not so any more, they could give 2 shits about you now, and if you fool with them, chances are good you will get chewed unless you shoot them. hard fact is... if we kill some (and hang their head on a stick) we can re-train them to stay away. 68 years in AK... I'm pretty sure about this
    bigjohnsd and 4951tomm like this.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So every time someone kills a bear there must be a lot of other bears watching it happen? Then I guess that along with going around telling other bears to stay away from us they also take out ads in the bear newspapers and TV news. Yeah, that must be it.
    Come on Beez. Ascribing human behavior to bears?
    Bears have learned that easy food can be found in the garbage that people set out. When I and my parents were kids here it seemed that most people burned their garbage just like my grandparents and their parents that all lived here as young people did. We could kill of all the bears that show up around town when the salmon ain’t runnin’ & sooner or later others will filter in lookin’ for them easy tidbits in our trash.
  8. Beezer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say they had human behavior, they have self preservation instincts for sure.
    ThatGuy and AKDuc like this.
  9. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Of course you didn't. Our bears check the license plates of potential food and if they see "USA" they know enough that you guys love guns and they go eat a local instead.
    Fishenough and Advie like this.
  10. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Semi auto rifles patterned upon current military rifles are NOT military grade, which have 3 round burst and full auto capabilities. Nice try, now try to post something that's factual next time so you don't have to get spanked again for talking out your arse.

I can own military grade rifles, but it'll cost me 15-30K and 200 for the tax stamp.
  11. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    And I can sneer my ass off. When we testing this strategy?

[​IMG]
    Bigbob1 and legion like this.
  12. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you get to the border. We?
    beemerphile and AKDuc like this.
  13. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    This must be why you ride alone :lol3
    legion likes this.
  14. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit Batman, is this real or an illusion, I keep getting more afraid!
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I can get a riding buddy that first time but they all retire out early. Is it the wind in my cordura?

The correct answer is 'yes' and the wrong answer is 'more red wine'. Either work great though.
  16. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well technically its actually classified as a firearm through the ATF and NOT a pistol as you said. It quite nicely skirts around the pistol regs because it is NOT a pistol.
    https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf
    https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/
    AKJeeper likes this.