Guzzi Griso 4V vs. 8V...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mike M, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at possibly buying my first Moto Guzzi. Longtime BMW owner but always admired MG from a distance. When the Griso came out----always thought of it as a MUST-have bike someday if I came across the right one.

I'm looking at a very nice 4 valve. The 1100 only has 70hp but from most reports, it's loaded with personality and just a blast to ride. Question is, do I pull the trigger on the 1100 or wait to find a 1200?

Those of you who have the 8 valve, or the 4 valve, what are your opinions?
  2. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I have a 4V Griso and 8V Stelvio. The stelvio has slightly different cam profiles than the Griso, but they are of the same vein.

1> The Griso isn't going to be a sport bike killer. It's long, heavy-ish, and is what it is. It looks and sounds great...that, and few have one. I really don't see upgrading to the 8V is worth the $$ for me. You can get a decent 4V Griz for $6-7k. An 8V is going to be 9-12k. How fast do you want to spend? The 8V shouts at the top end of the rev range, but I ride mostly down low as it has torque for days. The 4V suits me just fine.

2> Both the 4V and 8V sound amazing piped with a Mistral and fuel corrected.

3> The Tenni green 8VSE could be the best looking bike on the planet

4> Guzzi 2009 bikes had a cam recall. This needs to be done or have proof it was done. Some owners were never aware...I assume it still can be performed. The 2007 bikes had an in-tank fuel pump hose recall...easy fix.

4> For me, going to an 8V would require going to an SE (2011-2014) of the Tenni green or black devil colors. The tubeless spokes are just dreamy.

For the US, I think the only 4V was 2007 where they over-imported them...you could still buy new '07 bikes in the 2010 era. 2009 was the start of the 8V.

I would add a set of 1" drop Knight Design pegs. Other than that, the bike is pretty sorted out of the box. Guzzidiag is a huge help in servicing your bike at home, so local dealers are less of an issue. Feel free to PM any specific Q's.
    Steve G. likes this.
  3. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you should ride the bike and see if you like it.
    I own the 2v Norge and I have never wanted a 4v Norge. Mine works well and does what I want it to do.
  4. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 12 Griso and certainly wouldn't want less power. The 8V motors have lots of bottom end and can be ridden like a cruiser at low rpm but on the other hand if you want to really rip they will do that too and that's where the 4V falls short.
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I had the 2V motor in a V11 Sport Rosso Mandello, and the Breva-based CARC 1200 Sport, loved it.

I had the 4V motor in the '12 Stelvio NTX, loved it too.

The 4V has a bit more top end and doesn't run out of breath as soon in the upper rpm's....but the 2V motor doesn't suffer by the comparison.
    It's the kind of torque rich motor you tend to short shift and let the grunt do the work anyways. Both are very satisfying.

If the deal on the 2V is great, don't pass it up. (like the one in the Flea Market - that's a good looking creampuff)
  6. kirb

Oddometer:
    I sold a Buell 1125CR (145HP) and switched to the 4V Griso. The 'only' 70hp is just fine. You should ride one to see what we all are talking about.
  7. GT-Rx

GT-Rx Guzzi freak

Oddometer:
    I own both, '07 G11 (light motor mods) & '11 G8V Tenni. Depending on what your plans are to do with it, and what you want to spend really. The 2V 1100 is a blast from light to light, which is what I suspect you'll mostly be doing in SE FL. The 8V adds a punch above 5.5k RPM that is intoxicating, if not possibly quite hard on the drivers license. If you're buying for looks and power, go 8V. If you want a bike that is a pure smile-maker for thousands less, you won't go wrong with the G11. No real downsides on either. As posted, the '09s have the cast wheels and a cam recall. The '11+ models have been largely bullet-proof.
    Peruse GuzziTech.com for more info/feedback. Happy to respond more there.
  8. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm relocating west---likely back to Colorado, so eventually will be mostly canyon riding and lots of 2-lane. That's where my concern lies. Used to having the roll on power to pass (at altitude). I'm sure it will be fun muscling through the turns with all that low end torque!

This 1100 4V I'm looking at is an outstanding example too.

Decisions, decisions.
  9. GT-Rx

GT-Rx Guzzi freak

Oddometer:
    At that elevation, you *may* be happier with the 8V. I have several good friends in Colorado that own and ride the 2V'ers there though, all quite happy. I've ridden the Rockies for more then a decade with 2V Guzzis, and I imagine you'll be pretty thrilled with the 1100 if the price is good and the bike is one you like. My $.02.
  10. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both the 8V and 4V. As mentioned, the 8V has a better punch above 5000rpms or so. It does make the bike a bit livelier and oddly enough, I rode it differently. I kept a gear down with the RPMs higher so I could zing it out of corners more. With the 4V, I just kinda go into a turn in 5th or 6th ride the torque band out. Both motors suit the bike well though.

The 4V is more laid back. If you are coming from older Guzzis it's more of the "old nostalgic motor in updated running gear". The newer 8V does have a noticeable power advantage though.

Neither are rockets though. It's more accurate to say..one bike is slow and the other bike isn't as slow. :D

having said that, Guzzis are certainly hens teeth in the land of motorcycling. Whether you get an 8V or a 4V, prepare to answer 1000 questions and listen to other stories of people who've had Guzzi's in the past. I've had people stop me at the local BMW dealership to take pictures of the bike.
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I'm in Colorado and most of my riding is between 6,100 ft and ~12,000 ft.
    I think either one you choose would be a great choice for the Rockies.

There are a couple of good dealers in the area as well, so the occasionally sparse dealer network shouldn't be an issue here.
  12. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any differences in suspension over the years? What kind of fuel mileage / range are you looking at? And is the CARC a major advantage over an earlier V11 shafts?
  13. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fuel mileage on mine is about 40-45mpg on longer riders. low 30s in town.

I can't comment on the CARC being better or worse. I would swear the forks on my Griso are the same forks that were on my Tuono. They look identical...though they might be different internally.
  14. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's not much of a difference. I own a V11 and was going to upgrade to a Griso 8v . With my Mistral Crossover and pipes I would swear I was making equal if not more power. That said it WAS a STOCK Griso.
    If you get a 4v just get a pipe and you'll be square. The Griso is an amazing bike. Might not be an R1 on power but I assure it'll stay in your stable much much longer than most sport bikes. It's a Gentleman's Racer. They're just that's cool.
  15. Phineas Whipsnake

Phineas Whipsnake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an '07 Breva 1100 2v that I'm told is essentially the same engine as the same genre Griso. This thing is an absolute blast to ride - feels like a 350 as far as handling. The book says the 2v Breva has 86 HP, and I have no desire or need for any more power than this thing delivers. That Griso, IMHO, is the sexiest beast in the business. Pure Italian Stallion...:evil
  16. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

These things are a blast to ride and they're surprisingly good mile munchers. I took this photo this summer on a 750 mile day ride.
  17. kirb

Oddometer:
    My taint hurts just thinking about a 750 mile day on my Griso.
  18. Scot

Scot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my taint hurts reading the post about a 750 mile ride on a griso.
  19. Tilter

Tilter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned both - a black 2008 1100 and my current white 2009 1200. I sold the 1100 and regretted it immediately - I loved that bike. Between the two I had a 2010 fatbob, a vmax, a 2009 speed triple and a new 2012 speed triple, all to realize that what I needed was a griso between my legs again. If I hadn't had the two speed triples in the mod I would have been perfectly fine with the 1100 again. In fact a properly tuned 1100 is a joyous ride around town and on the twisted, with gobs of torque right at your fingertips and excellent handling. If I hadn't found such a great deal on a 1200 with less than 1000 miles I would have just tried to find a really, really nice 1100 at a great deal.

Regardless of which bike you get I recommend seeking out Todd Eagan at Guzzitech for proper sorting out of fueling. My 1100 had his full kit on it and it was amazing. My current 1200 only has the ecu for now. If I clear up some money though ill spring for his power commander and autotune set-up, along with his air box mods. The ecu upgrade is a huge deal. Sure you can get better maps and such but he tuns it perfectly and his support is the best I've seen for any product, ever, in of ANY type. Without the ecu upgrade I was loving the looks and handling of the bike, but disappointed with the engine characteristics.

If you find one that already has his kit that's the best option of all, whether it's an 1100 or a 1200.

Anyway I Iove them both. I woud get the best deal and condition one that presents itself, and go from there.
  20. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was one road in Palo Pinto county that was rough enough that it wasn't my taint I was worried about. :deal

You remember that scene in the James Bond movie where he was strapped nude to a cane bottomless chair and the bad guy swatted his yam sack with a knotted rope?:cry:cry:cry