Guzzi Nuovo Falcone

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by leafman60, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone, (perhaps Dinko2) tell me where I can find a smaller (30) jet for the extra oil line? Is there an adress where I can order it?
    Years ago I fitted the line(bought it from Pirner) with the standard 50 jet. That caused the NF to smoke a little while slow running. But after some 10000km's the engine lost compression.
    After removal of the head I found a completely clogged up inlet valve stem. Black burnt oil deposits that stopped the valve from clossing completely!
    That was causing the compression loss of course.
    I then refitted the old oil tube without the extra part. In the Paul Friday texts I read that the inlet rocker shaft has an arrangement to deliver oil to the stem of the inlet valve.
    I decided to rely on this arrangement.
    More than 40000 km's later this proved to work, but as I did a complete engine overhaul this winter I decided to refit the extra oil line.
    As I have new valves and guides now, the engine does not smoke anymore but I'm afraid that I will have a clogged up inlet valve again within the next 10000km's.
    As an experiment, I fitted a small steel ball (same size as the ones in the the clutch trust bearing of my Airone!) inside the bolt that holds the actual jet. This ball slows the oilflow to the jet, but still lets some oil find it's way to the jet.
    This is off course only a temporary measure and therefore I would like to experiment with a smaller jet!

Greetings from a silent and quiet Flanders!
    Here in Belgium we also are confined indoors almost completely. We can use the car or motorbike to go to work, or to go to the supermarket, but trips for leisure are strictly forbidden!
    All non essential shops, bars, hotels, restaurants etc, are closed. Also parks and the coast and beaches are off-limits!
    We can only go for a walk or ride a bike in our own village, in the company of your own family or 1 friend! groups of more than 2 are forbidden!

Philip
  2. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The CEV switch burns because of the too high amperage flowing through the contacts.
    A good idea would be to fit relay's inside the headlight for the high and low beam lights.
    I did it years ago on our V7 Special and the NF. Since then we had no more problems with the switchboxes.

Philip
    Skogs04 likes this.
  3. Contractor

Contractor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re the inlet valve oiling. This is almost an oil thread

My NF came to Australia with a TLM valve oiling upgrade fitted with the #50 jet and standard valves. It didn't smoke or use oil over and above what you would expect from a large single when running all day loaded and two up at 100-110 kph (ie about .5l over 3-4 thousand km). I then fitted the lighter valve train and had the head re-hardened as it would not stay tensioned down, refitted the valve oiler and set the valve rocker shaft alignment etc. I also sealed the oil feed to the big end with the "redsingle' method. Plenty of oil getting to the inlet valve now.
    Still no oil burning or consumption greater than before.

The bike is tuned a lot leaner than standard at #122 main jet V9 needle and #4.5 slide using a VBH30C carb off a T3. (old carb body suffered metal decay of the main jet/bowl nut tube area from water immersion in its past). My head would be running hotter than most.

My point to this diatribe is there is no reason to fear extra oil to the inlet valve or the head. My bike on a trip runs all day, day after day, at, and over 4000rpm and if loaded often runs up to and holds redline in 4th regularly.
    If the bike is running oil down the valve stem then the valve guides/valves need attention in my book.

The standard carb jetting also contributes to carbon in the combustion chamber as the maintenance manuals 'decoking' advice seems to suggest. My own observations also confirm (to me) the buildup of carbon is greater with the standard jetting configuation
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CEV Switches

Over the years, I've replaced several CEV pillbox switches on a variety of machines. When soldering wires to the switches, if you are not careful, the switch can be damaged by overheating with the soldering gun.

The soldering posts of the switches have a hollow center into which the bare end of the wires are inserted and then soldered. I always skin and tin my wire ends with solder prior to inserting the wires into the posts. Then, for good measure, I wipe a little flux to the unsoldered ends of the wire before soldering. Last, I think the key is to use a soldering tool with a high wattage rating. Then heat the soldering tip and with maybe a little solder make a quick "hit" of it to the wire ends to be soldered. The higher heat of the stronger gun will quickly create a solder connect of the wire ends to their post.

The quickness of making the solder joint avoids the heat having the time to travel down the solder posts and damage the fiber board part of the switch.

If you use a solder gun that is not sufficiently hot, you will have to leave it longer on the intended solder joint and that will provide enough time to over-heat the entire post and cause damage to the switch.

You can also use pliers or locking pliers attached to the posts to create a heat sink for extra protection but I usually find that not necessary.

Skogs04 likes this.
  5. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Vusette, I obtained a Dellorto slow/idle jet size 30 from Racing Planet UK via internet. Kater helped me with advice and you can read it on page 160 on this forum. I am sure you will get one near to you.
  6. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Leafman, You will see on page 160 what Kater advised me to do. Skogs 04 put a photo of Pirners system on forum. I obtained 4 jets from Racing Planet UK via internet. Two for myself (in case I messed one up) and sent 2 to Banque. Jets are Dellorto slow/idle size 30. This photo is the 50 jet supplied in the kit.
    I will have to make a reducer to fit it as Kater advised. Just wish things would warm up over here. Way things are going I will have plenty time to do all the work on the Falcone. Very pleased with the LED lights. Your oil system is good thinking. I was going to try to make my own jet but the 30 drill size put me off. I will take some photos for you but it is only a small jet and I have to get the thread size.

Attached Files:

7. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dinko. Yes, I'd like to know the thread size for those jets. I may go ahead and install one as backup for the drilled passageway in my supply tube.

8. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazed to find the thread is M5. Now attempting to make a reducer. Given up on brass as wall thickness is too thin. Limited tools.
    Many motorcycles out yesterday up around the Scottish Borders (Sunday) but for how long before the government clamps down on personal movement. Problem is many stop at the usual café places that are now closed thus groups of people gather outside. Scotland for some reason have some of their bars still open as their laws are not in line with the UK Government.
  9. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I uploaded a photo of the jet. If you zoom in you can see it quite well. I looked at the info that came from Pirner, and in one place he writes that the new jet is "40 to 50", in another place he says its 50, and at the end, he writes that 35 would be possible. He feels that 50 is the correct size "across a wide temperature range", but it may be that he doesn't actually spend that much time on an NF. The product does look to be of good quality though, so will just have to see what happens when it's installed. As far as the CEV switch goes (thanks for the info Leafman and Vusette. It's not everyday that you get help from places as far apart as Flanders and Alabama!), after looking at it more closely, I think it may just be a bit worn out. The leads look like they were cleanly soldered, but the connection between the switch itself and the soldering post is weak, and sparks a little when the running lights are on. I'll figure out some sort of solution, and the idea with the relays is a good one.

d a IMG_20200323_170603801.jpg
  10. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also managed to get out for a couple of rides (one with my wife on her Kwacker) before things get shut down even more, and although it was cold, it was thoroughly enjoyable. The bike looks a lot better without the leg shields!

IMG_20200318_173455276.jpg
    banquo, Dinko2 and leafman60 like this.
  11. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Skogs, Nice to see you can still get out on your bikes. Things here in the UK starting to happen but the general public are not doing as they have been advised and are still gathering in large groups, some of our close neighbours have been advised to stay indoors for 12 weeks as they both have medical conditions so we await our orders to do the same.
    I have attempted to make a reducer to fit the new 30 jet but with no success as the jet thread is 5mm so only 1mm wall thickness for the reducer. I will contact a friend who has a lathe to see what he can do. But we here are only allowed to go out in our case for food and once a day so this will have to wait.
    I soldered up a CAV indicator switch for the Falcone and used Leafman's advice. Use a high wattage soldering iron, pre tin all cables and use a heat sink (pliers)on terminal to protect the plastic moulding. I also used a soldering flux called Bakers Fluid which is a very good flux. Next is to fit some relays which I will do soon even though I now the LED lights.
    As reported you can still buy these switches and I remember some did not need to be soldered but used a small screw to secure the cables but have never seen one of this type.
    Sold the Enfield to a close friend so to buy the Falcone, you were right as it was a Electra. Had no problem with the bike but found the rear brake was poor. Fitted a modified system and it was cured. Took me around the islands of Scotland ending up on Shetland. Wife was away to Turkey for 2weeks to visit her cousin along with her aunt and after arriving back home phoned me on my 3rd week asking when I was coming home. It never missed a beat through some horrible weather and I did not have to add oil or adjust the chain over 1.700 (slow) miles. But I did carry a small paint brush and coated the rear chain every morning with engine oil and it returned near 100mpg.
    Great memories.
    OOPS ! Message from our government that we MUST stay in our home, So it starts.
    Hope you get the switch sorted but do not forget the relays.

Attached Files:

12. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dinko, that looks like a great trip! What a beautiful landscape, and great bike. I had a Mini Cooper in the early 90s and took a three-week trip around Scotland, camping all the way, except for Ballachulish, where I knew some folks with a hotel. Had nothing but good weather, which the locals said was very rare. Got all the way up to Tongue, and vowed I would get back some day. I have been over several times since, but only by car, and never that far north. Had a trip planned for this April, but that is of course not going to happen!
    But back to bikes: How would you compare the NF to the Enfield? Similar, or completely different? Both single cyclinder with a similar amount of horsepower. Still, I could imagine they are very different from one another. The Enfield must have been a good deal lighter too.
    All the best for the next few weeks. I hope this is over sooner than the experts are now predicting, but we will just have to wait patiently and see. I will continue to go riding if allowed, and if it warms up. Stay safe!
  13. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Banquo's rebuild has hit a stumbling block, as some parts are still at the Powdercoater, and he has gone into self-isolation for several months...
    In the meantime, we are told that we cannot leave the house except for essential travel, which seems pretty pointless, given that riding our bikes takes us into contact with nobody (except when refuelling I suppose). I have been down in England for the past two weeks, and had almost empty roads on the three hour drive home last night.
    Maybe I'll get the engine work on my Harleys done now; it's only been waiting since 2010.....
  14. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling Banquo. All our friends motorcyclists feel the same. When we go riding, we are all dressed up in leathers or some other protective clothing. We wear a helmet with a scarf or a buff and gloves. Stop for a coffee is impossible as all café's are closed. Only refueling is possible. So what's the risk of contamination for us or for others? We can't even cross the borders to the Netherlands or France. We happen to own a caravan just 3 km's over the french border . The campsite is not open but normally caravan owners go in to have a look from time to time. But now it is forbidden to go and have look to check if everything is ok after the winter. Fines in Belgium start at €250 if you are caught with a "non essential" use of your vehicle !
    banquo likes this.
  15. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Banquo, We are all in the same situation although I can hear motorcycles out there with illegal pipes this morning. Doing a few jobs around the house and outside on our home area. Like you I have put off for a long time doing these even did a bit work on the Falcone which is confined to the garage. On petrol stations the pump handles are one of the most contaminated thing to hold. Some stations now have a person cleaning these after use. Best thing about our Falcone's is the low fuel consumption so trips to get fuel are not too bad.
    Bike now ready to go but when?
    banquo likes this.
  16. Dinko2

Dinko2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Skogs, I liked them both. On the Enfield I geared it up a little to keep out of the vibration zone so to ride at around 60 mph. As for the Falcone it is a perfect bike for my needs so to roam around my area of Northumberland. So with the simple ignition system it is my favorite over the Enfield.
    You are correct about the weight as the Enfield was much lighter. Even been thinking of buying a new Himalayan but it would mean selling the Falcone so that was a no no until I cannot manage the weight. Barra island remains my favorite and I still hope to return there. But at my age time is running out.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  17. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a bit worried. As some of you will know, this winter I did some work on my engine. I fitted 4 new pinions, gearbox correctly shimmed, new valves and guides (cast iron guides) and new piston rings and gudgeon pin. New seals and gaskets all over. The rebuilt engine runs great an the box feels almost japanese!
    But now, after 500 km's I thought it was time to tighten te cylinder head and readjust the valves. Also I like to put new oil in a rebuilt engine after 500 km's.
    As I took out the filter, I found quite a lot of black dirt (like some sort of cloth on the inside part of the filter. Also there were some very small metal parts in the dirt It looked almost like chrome.
    I saw the particles shinning in the dirt. It was also magnetic. Could this be normal after an engine rebuild? Did some encounter the same?
    I intend to remove the filter again after the next 1000 km's, but this will have to wait of course untill after the corona epidemic...
  18. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    That sounds very odd Vusette; I would say the metallic parts are quite normal. With the engine and gearbox running in the same oil, you would expect quite a lot of wear on the pinions as they bed in, and my guess is that's where the metal came from. You wouldn't expect anything fibrous in there though, unless, like some surgeons, you left something inside....
  19. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of the cylinderhead gasket, that one is made of some sort of black stuff. But normaly this gasket does not contact the moving parts. Also the rubber gasket in the pushrod tunnel sometimes gets forced inside and then rubs against the pushrods. I don't know. If something is wrong, time will tell...As far as I know I didn't forget anything inside!
  20. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Yes; I never thought about the pushrod seal. Mine had been fitted wrongly at the factory, and was squashed under the head gasket...
    I fitted a small magnet inside the oil filter steel plug (so it sits inside the inner filter) and it collects some steel every oil change. I used epoxy to glue it in, but as it stickes to the drain plug by magnetism, and is inside the filter, I guess it's safe enough
    Dinko2 likes this.