Guzzi Nuovo Falcone

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by leafman60, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea. Do you mean inside the steel tube that goes inside the filter or do you mean the cap?
  2. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    My drain plug (cap?) has a ridge that the filter seats on, and another recess in the centre, which is where I fitted the magnet
  3. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. The drain plug is a perfect location. I have a small magnet drifting around on my workbench. Tomorrow I will see if it isn't too big. Thank you for the tip!
  4. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Not sure it does much good, but it makes me feel better! You could actually fit a larger one to the outside. As long as it's strong enough, and in intimate contact with the drain cap, it will make the cap magnetic, and retain steel shavings
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vusette, that fiber-like debris sounds weird. Could it be some waste from the clutch plates???

Checking the filter after another 500KM will be interesting. If all of this debris starts to fade away, you may be ok. I think I'd leave it alone if things start cleaning up a bit.

6. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today I adapted a magnet and loctited it in de cap. With loctite 2 component metal. That is really good stuff. I once used it to repair the oiltank of an Airone. Still oiltight after many years!
    As the magnet was a bit too big, I had to cut 4 recesses, now the ribs on the inside of the inner filter fit nicely over the magnet. As Leafman suggests, once we can ride again, I will check the filter after 500 km's or so. I also found and old California II drainplug with a magnet inside. I will fit it temporarilly instead of the dipstick. Perhaps it will also pick up some of the metal debris. 20200327_171902[1].jpg 20200327_171932[1].jpg I can only wait now!
    banquo likes this.
  7. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a short ride to work and the local grocery store, which is still allowed here. Sometimes having panniers attached to your bike is a very practical thing, especially in times of scarcity!

IMG_20200327_171136610_HDR.jpg
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  8. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Good move. Lucky to find any of those; shelves here have been empty of that for weeks, plus tissues, kitchen roll, or any other substitute, and you can forget flour, pasta, Paracetamol and plenty of other things, thanks to the activities of the selfish and inconsiderate....
  9. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is funny! lol

Looks like those rolls have the word DANKE (THANK YOU) impressed on them. Is that a brand or some philosophical message?

haha
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd keep an eye on the 2-part epoxy. It's great stuff and I use it often but my research discovered that it may not withstand long-term exposure to motor oil. That may not be a big deal when it is used outside the engine cases but having it internal to the motor may cause it to let loose and meander around inside.

Should that happen in this application, I imagine the "filter" would catch it.

11. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You really do have eagle-eyes! I believe in this case "Danke" is the brand, but I was truly thankful to find some. Very strange times indeed!
  12. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A warning! Watch out if you try to put a magnet in the drain cap. yesterday I fitted the magnet with loctite in the cap. This morning it was dead solid in the cap.
    Before fitting the filter i screwed the cap without a paper gasket in its place. after removing it, I noticed a small circle mark on the magnet! The magnet touched the oil suction tube!
    That means that it would have blocked the oil passage! Obviously my magnet was too thick (5mm) + let's say 1 mm of two component loctite.
    I removed the magnet and I grounded away the loctite with my dremel.
    I decided not to take any risks and I won't fit another magnet. Just check the filter again very soon!
    banquo and leafman60 like this.
  13. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    RE: toilet paper

Have a look at this. Some motorcycle content.

Honda-50 and Skogs04 like this.
  14. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are people using for spark plugs? Mine has an NGK BP8ES in it, but I'm curious if there's an iridium plug available. Not looking for better performance, just longer life.
  15. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use champion N9YC for years now. Just like in our V7 special. I have been using N9 champions in my 1000G5, california 2 and 3. That is for 40 years now. I somehow don't like japanese stuff in an Italian bike. But off course in my modern Stelvio I have to use ngk.
    Dinko2 likes this.
  16. Kater

Kater shock-proofed shorttimer

Oddometer:
    This is to cold for the NF. I use the BP7ES with all my NF ‘s and never had any problems .....
    Dinko2 likes this.
  17. Contractor

Contractor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here BP7ES
  18. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a ride a couple of days ago and noticed that spring really has sprung here.
    IMG_20200415_172348202_HDR.jpg
    The rape seed/canola is starting to show it's color and the cherry trees along the "Mauerstreifen" (the strip where the wall was located) are starting to pop. Lots of walkers and cyclists, but few motorcycles.
    IMG_20200415_173706910_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200416_162320672_HDR.jpg
  19. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also saw a nice Ape (bee) taking a break from selling ice cream.
    IMG_20200416_163504996_HDR.jpg
    twowings likes this.
  20. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The horn was lying on top of the cylinder head this morning. Never had this happen before. Heavy vibrations!
    IMG_20200418_120711015.jpg