Guzzi Nuovo Falcone

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by leafman60, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Fortuitously stumbled on this thread today while looking up -- for reasons that will be clearer below -- Nuovo Falcone info.

I then just posted the following over in the V7 thread, but, given the photo, repost this here FWIW:

==================

KofF's reverie, above, about some disappeared dealers of yore reminded me of something I found yesterday in the course of our "dostadning" decluttering.

I had three Yamahas and a Honda back in the mid-60’s (gasp), then, typically, got away from motorcycles for all the usual reasons that made sense, at least at the time, e.g., Army, marriage, kids, orthodontics for said kids, etc., after etc. I did ride now and then, with the latter more frequent than the former, when friends asked if I wanted to ride their new (mostly the latest UJM) motorcycles. I did get to straddle an 883, a (now-vintage) Triumph, and one mid-70’s beemer, too. It was almost painful to get off those knowing that my reality just didn’t include two-wheeled transportation or recreation. :cry

At least not of the motorized sort. Then, on being assigned to Italy, in what anyone who knows me now finds near incomprehensible — code for “THAT body rode bicycles? :augie— I got into serious bicycle riding. I even joined a local Italian riding club. Great fun.

Another seminal event occurred during my assignment in northern Italy. I worked with the Carabinieri and other police agencies, especially in and around Vicenza province. The “Carbs” on Caserma Ederle were great bubbas. And they rode Guzzis! :clap

See the photo I found yesterday during our archaeological excavation in the Moto Grappa.

[​IMG]

I remember almost every one in that photo with great fondness. The older guys would mess with me in that friendly, teaching way that the best NCO’s in every military do with young officers. Lordy, I miss ‘em. :-)

That photo is with a Nuovo Falcone, but they also rode V-Something's. The older guys were a hoot to watch when they showed off their skills. Probably nothing special among “motor officers,” but it seemed awesome to me at the time.

But, that experience sealed my fate. It is why — tho I like all brands — I am so smitten by Guzzis that I have owned six new ones and still have five of those. Two of those are V-7’s (claimed thread relevance, albeit admittedly marginal :D).

I can (somewhat) competently wrench that moto-harem, too, which is why I am unlikely to stray to other brands, tho, as Jimmie Carter once said (on another subject!), I do occasionally “lust in my heart” for other marques. :raabia

Today, of course, and sadly, IMO, line Carabinieri ride BMW’s — tho the ceremonial Reggimento corazzieri are still mounted on Guzzis (and horses!). I’m just happy that "back in my day,” the Carbs rode motos from Mandello.

Nei Secoli Fedele!

Bill
    msahern5 and leafman60 like this.
  2. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool story and photo! Many thanks. I live in Berlin Germany, where the local police bought a bunch of new Moto Guzzis a few years back as the result of an offical tender. Talk about a scandal! Still see those bikes around occasionally, but I beleive those are the last MGs that will be purchased here. Too much resistance from the officers that ride them and maintenance people, let alone the BMW factory a few miles down the road.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great vintage image!

Those are nice leather coats too!

4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carabinieri story-

Many years ago, when I was in college, I spent several months studying in Italy.

I went into a quaint, quick-food restaurant for lunch one day. The place was very crowded, very busy. This may have been in Florence. I finished eating whatever I bought and walked outside. As I walked out, I heard a man call at me and I turned around to see a well-dressed policeman who had followed me out of the restaurant. I thought, oh lord what did I do to get in trouble. He was maybe 10 years older than me and attired in a very smart, black-trimmed outfit with a crisply-fitted policeman's cap.

I stopped, and as he approached me, he smiled and held out a hand with money in it. He then spoke to me in perfect English and told me that the restaurant had severely over-charged me for what I had ordered. He had watched it all, intervened on my behalf and made the owner give him a refund of the overcharge that he brought to me. He apologized for the situation and then went on to tell me that he had spent a year in the US while in school and that he had relatives in the US.

I profusely thanked him and chatted with him for a while afterwhich he bid me safe travels and left me.

If I remember correctly, he was riding a Guzzi V twin motorcycle.

5. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good story! I had a somewhat similar story with an old Mini Cooper. My wife and I were travelling around Lake Como in northern Italy and decided to take the ferry across the lake. While she paid for the ticket I went to get the car. They asked her what size it was and she just said "piccolo" and then paid. When I drove onto the ferry the ticket guy came over, looked at the Mini, smiled and said something like "multo-piccolo" and gave us some money back. We still chuckle about that one from time to time.
  6. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever completely translated the NF shop manual, from Italian to English? I am pretty lost without a manual I can understand; pictures only go so far. I have been fooling around the past few days trying to translate it digitally through Google Translate, but it is a lost cause. I see Greg Bender has a German version on his site, but I am just as hopeless in that language as I am in Italian.
    JD
  7. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I've seen in English is the Rider's Handbook, which is 65 pages long. Have you tried translating with DeepL? It's a lot better than Google Translate for technical texts.
  8. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I tried downloading it on to my laptop, but the downloads failed each time I tried. I was also getting error messages saying it was not designed for my version of Windows (?) . Funny, as I use Windows 10. I'll try and figure something out.
    And yes, I have downloaded copies of the English handbook. It is the technical stuff like transmission rebuilding and engine tear down that I was hoping to get translated.
    JD
  10. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Skog, thanks for the reference to Deep L. It is painstakingly slow, and not perfect, but I am managing to translate the workshop manual a bit at a time with the online version of Deep L, then paste each small section into a document that refers to a specific page number in the manual. Its clunky, but way better than nothing. Thanks again.
  11. Lurkio

Lurkio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I'm explaining something you're already using JayDee, but have you seen the google translate phone app? It uses the phones camera to 'read' the text and translates it on your phone.
  12. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would sure be handy to have if it is a good translation. My problem would be that I don't use a mobile phone! Kind of a Luddite that way! Also, what I am finding is that by pasting the Deep L translation into a word document, while tedious, it allows me to edit and reconfigure things, which is handy. A lot of the translation is clunky and awkward, so editing is a bonus. I am not sure that a jpeg phone app would permit editing. Maybe, maybe not. But thanks!
  13. Lurkio

Lurkio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The app translates on the screen, so you could potentially do a screen dump of the page as an image, so perhaps not what you want. I think the way you're doing it may be the most effective.
    This will apparently translate a webapge, if you can find a way of linking to a specific page of the pdf file, I tried putting the link to the Nuovo Falcone PDF but it said it was too large. : http://itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-translator

Good luck!
  14. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is what I found when I first started translating using Google Translate; it kept telling me the file was too big. Problem was, I had no way to cut smaller sections out of the manual and put them in a format that was recognised by Google translate. And of course the next problem would have been trying to edit the translated file so that it made sense. You should see some of the wonky translations I am getting; it makes following the included instructions for assembling something made in China a treat! As an example, it translates piston rings as elastic bands....
  15. Lurkio

Lurkio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There must be a way to link only to a page with a web address. I don't know it though. If I do find it, I'll come back to you. In the meantime, be careful not to get your elastic band gap right :lol2
  16. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mean the one around my head?:-)
  17. Lurkio

Lurkio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The one that stops the explosive mixture of flammable liquid and air from going where it shouldnt!
  18. Contractor

Contractor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having problems with the clutch, went very hard to pull in quite suddenly! Pulled the cover and there is a witness mark on the cover from the adjusting rod end.
    Dissembled the clutch plates and there is considerable rocking of the drum. I suspect the rollers bearing has failed or plates are out of spec
    Anybody have the minimum thickness for the clutch friction plates or at least the new plate measurments. the steel plates are in excellent condition.
    are the pressure spring lengths quoted correct? as mine are 46 mm long
  19. Kater

Kater shock-proofed shorttimer

Oddometer:
    Hello Contractor,
    46 mm are ok. The aftermarket friction plates are a little bit thinner than the original ones but I have never seen worn old ones. If the clutch slips the plates are to old and hardened. If the clutch basket has to much pitting from the disc’s you should equalise it with the help of a fine file.
    Best Kater
  20. monohorizontalrace

monohorizontalrace n00b

Oddometer:
    salut à tous une photo de ma falcone civile steib DSCF2352.JPG :-)