Guzzi Nuovo Falcone

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by leafman60, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kater

Kater shock-proofed shorttimer

Oddometer:
    There is no difference price about 45.-€
    Skogs04 likes this.
  2. Pete the Diesel

Pete the Diesel English old fart

Oddometer:
    Hello Kater,
    Finally I have completed the thread tapping and parted the cases. Absolutely perfect and yes, the dowels were corroded.
    My sincere thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.
    I now have several jobs to complete but all straight forward.
    I do have one more information request. I have the Italian workshop manual but there are no torque settings listed for the rebuild. Either an omission or some previous owner removed the page!!!
    Does anyone have torque settings for the various engine bolts? I can estimate the minor fittings if necessary but do need:
    Cyl head stud torque
    Flwheel nut torque
    Gearbox output shaft nut torque
    Clutch nut torque
    Crank gear nut torque
    Big end cap nut torque
    Contact points shaft nut torque

Anyone have a full listing please?
    Thanks
  3. Kater

Oddometer:
    Good Morning Pete,
    there is only the torque of the cylinder head bolts written in the manual. In this time it was unusual , nobody needed it - maybe the craftsmen had more sensibility. Simply tight :lift!

Piston rod 35Nm
    BE52CDDC-C169-41E8-83CB-AE27F33CDACD.jpeg

head 45Nm
    17F3D78B-5A89-43BA-A84E-F5D295B90444.jpeg
  4. Vusette

Vusette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, sorry for the late reply!
    I used a very common relay I bought in a DIY stor in my neighbourhood. Nothing fancy, any cheap relay will do the trick I think.
    Skogs04 likes this.
  5. Pete the Diesel

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Kater, hadn't spotted that. I had been looking for a page of all torque settings! Well I guess there is so much metal in that engine there is limited sensitivity, as there is on modern kit.
  6. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you use an LED bulb, you don’t need a relay as the current draw is small
  7. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usung an LED is a good idea, but I don't know how well a unit would fit in the Falcone's headlight, as they usually have cooling fins or even a fan. I tried this with another bike and never found one that fit properly.
  8. Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skogs04 likes this.
  9. Dunders

Dunders Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snap! - well, almost!

Paul

Attached Files:

• NF.jpeg
      NF.jpeg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    leafman60 and Skogs04 like this.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, everyone.

I'm doing well and trying to adhere to all the coronavirus precautions. Things are starting to open up a bit here but I am afraid that many people are trying to do too much too quickly.

Regarding things motorcycle, my little Nuovo Falcone project has been relegated to the rear of a line of other two-wheeled projects but hopefully it will receive some much-needed tender love and affection soon.

I have been doing some motorcycle work but not on my Nuovo Falcone. About three weeks ago, I took a ride on my old (1978) H-D that I’ve owned for almost 42 years. It ran very well but I decided to fix a few issues that have bothered me for several years.

I had to remove the oil pump and repair a faulty check valve that allowed the engine to “sump up” with oil in the crankcase when it was allowed to sit without running for a several weeks. I also had to rebuild my brake system to repair a faulty master cylinder and add new fluid both front and rear. I also had to remove a big part of the power train to repair a worn bushing that was allowing a little bit of gearbox oil to slip past the drive chain gearbox bushing.

All of that has taken much longer than I expected but I am almost finished. I think I’ll change the fork oil and that will hopefully complete this project.

Next up is that I have another H-D with a new rear tire that is awaiting installation so that will probably be done soon.

After that, my 1993 BMW R100GSPD needs its first head re-torque and valve lash adjustment. I bought the bike last year from someone who purchased it new and never rode enough miles to make the first scheduled service ! That will tie up my work table for a day or two.

AFTER THAT, lol, I should be able to put my Nuovo Falcone on the table and resume my renovation that was started a long time ago. I have everything I need to finish the cylinder and head reassembly. After that is completed, I must completely remove both the front and the rear suspension and renew everything there.

By the end of the summer, I HOPE to have this job finished. Well, let me say that I hope to have this done by winter, ha.

I hope all of you are well and that things get back to normal soon!!!

banquo likes this.
  11. Skogs04

Skogs04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez Leafman, you do have a lot of wrenching ahead! But I trust it is a labor of love, so I suppose it could be worse.

I'm afraid I've made the decision to sell my NF. Workwise, things are getting a little tricky due to the shutdown and I am not sure they will improve anytime soon. So, it's time to make a little more space in the garage and put some money in the bank. I have really enjoyed my short stint with the bike, and it has been good learning to shift with the right foot. The bike really does seem to be a "practical classic", as I read somewhere, and runs well. If anyone in Europe is looking for a good NF, let me know.
  12. Pete the Diesel

Oddometer:
    Hello again Kater, Well with crank out I dropped off the big end cap and my engine strip was only just in time as the big end bearing was showing signs of fatigue failure/material failure. So going to the crank grinders for recovery of the crank nose/ undersize big end grind and maybe balancing (I saw your comments on the 50 percent factor). Going to replace the main bearings while I'm at it. Do you know the bearing numbers and clearance code for the roller and ball bearings please? I have tended to use FAG in the past with good results, any other suggestions you have found good?

Many thanks
    Pete
  13. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Well, that's a puzzle. As I have mine in bits while we're in lockdown over here, I discovered that the sprocket carrier bearings felt like a bag of gravel, so decided to replace them. However, despite my NF being 'as delivered' and the bearings never having been dismantled in my 18 years of ownership, I find that the outer bearing was 47x20x14mm single row ball, and a separate oil seal was fitted outside it. Haven't got the inner bearing out yet
  14. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jake, I think the bearings that I replaced were not the sprocket carrier items but the others. Still, I cannot explain the difference in dimensions.

15. Kater

Oddometer:
    Good morning Pete,
    here a list with all the numbers an measurements:
    https://guzzitreff.de/cms/index.php?Ersatzteile/Lager
    I use to change all bearings exept the roller bearing on the left side of the crankshaft as this almost never worn out, it is hard to get one with a steel cage and the outer ring is critical to remove. You can control the surface easily as it is split. The ordinary bearings are not expensive so I take the sure way. All have the C = standard clearance, only the big roller bearing on the right side of the crankshaft seams to be a C3 as this type was built in in one of my engines originally. My friend Peter Schnez also uses here a 6307 C 3.

Best Kater
    banquo likes this.
  16. Pete the Diesel

Oddometer:
    Many thanks, yet again, Kater.
    Pete
    banquo likes this.
  17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to see you leave us, Skogs. You have been a good contributor!

Skogs04 likes this.
  18. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    The parts list actually shows the bearing spec as RIV 1A 20 for the sprocket carrier amd RIV 01 A for the wheel.
    Cross referencing the RIV 1A 20 gives 20x47x14, which is exactly what I took out, so it looks like it's the correct bearing after all. Somehow, I'd assumed that the double-row would fit in the hub, which is a bit more brutal than the wheel. Once again, it's clear why "assume" begins with "ass"....
    However, as the Parts List shows RIV 01 A as a 17x40x12 single row bearing, that still doesn't fit in with the 3203 double-row, which is 17mm wide, and the drawing in the manual shows a single-row ball bearing....
    Still puzzled; was the design changed at some point from a single row to a double-row bearing?
    Looking at a later edition of the Parts Book, the bearing is now listed as 3203, so I guess that explains it.
    Either that, or the earlier Parts Book is a typo, but as the manual shows a single row, I guess it must have originally been fitted with one...

These are the bearing numbers I got from Paul Friday's old site

Bearing Numbers Friday.jpg
    But the Italian Workshop Manual shows only a single row bearing

rear wheel section.jpg

The early parts book also shows a single row bearing, 17 x 40 x 12, but could be a mistake I suppose - it's the same as the front wheel bearing....

sprocket carrier.jpg

The later Parts Book shows the 3203 double-row bearing

later parts.jpg

And these are the bearings I bought - many years ago...
    wheel bearing 3203.jpg
    spokester likes this.
  19. banquo

banquo Newbie

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your troubles Skogs; things aren't good here in Scotland either, but as I'm retired, at least I don't have to worry about work. I hope things pick up for you soon, and perhaps you will return to the fold at some point. Good luck!
    Skogs04 likes this.
  20. Kater

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the new primary drive...... I hope it will be finished next week

Best Kater
    3C420A74-6918-412F-B550-400C1D532542.jpeg