Guzzis, Mustangs, Triumphs and other Projects

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by mach1mustang351, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless it is a great read, I will be looking forward to the next instalment, anything could happen.
    mach1mustang351 likes this.
  2. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't post half of what happens in the garage... Just what I think people would find interesting . Since I don't get a ton of replies on here, I kinda make the calls on my own. So if anyone wants more or less or something, chime in!!

I got a 4 day weekend for the holiday, and kind of spent it as such.

Thursday- had the baby all day

Friday- already posted about the fleet maintenance and the bike ride.

Saturday- worked in the garage all day, not many pictures because I was recovering from tearing my tire equipment apart, cursing that operation. Cleaning up tools from the car jobs and leftovers from the Triumph traveler. I was tired of air lines everywhere, so I did a little plumbing

P_20190706_194007_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Hung up a hose reel over head in the middle of the shop.

P_20190706_194020_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Did a little plumbing at the compressor. I installed a shutoff valve so the tire machine doesn't have to fill up every time. I used air hoses to run to the reel and tire machine, just because I'm not 100% convinced on shop layout. And also because I have hopes I go full time and get a building in the next year or two.

I did get a chance to take another ride. After all that. Went about 140 miles on the FTR. Tried to explore the fuel limits a bit and see if I can plan a longer trip before the end of summer

IMG_20190707_005845_992.jpg
    P_20190706_223336_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Sunday- spent the day cleaning the house. Super lame I know. Wife was out of town with the baby, and we have company coming in a couple weeks and I wanted to get a head start on all of that, get the guest rooms sorted out, put stuff away, etc. We keep up with cleaning, but with the baby, it seems like every week we loose a little ground. We should be squared up now. Even cleaned out the Traeger.

22124.jpeg

There... Another random post!!! Again, you guys can control content if you want.

Who wants to hear a rant about wheel balancers??
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Just because there aren't replies doesn't mean we're not reading. :deal
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knock yourself out Bubba, I like how your mind works, Yes this is a ADV bike forum but we all have lives as well and to be honest yours is pretty interesting. I hope others feel the same way. There are always plenty of bike stuff mixed in there. If not there are loads more chain to check out.

I have never ridden or even seen an Indian in RL, being a Brit living in China and soon to retire to Thailand I may never get the chance and I am very interested. Are they pretty much like a HD as I have ridden a few of those and enjoyed them more for joy of riding a HD than the quality ride as they are to be honest not the best thing on two wheels pretty much like a John Deere of the motorcycle world I guess, as bikes go given what you should expect at the cost, but the coolest thing as bikes go on the other hand and not bad ride just not just not great. A little like American cars, great V8’s but piss poor build quality (HD build quality is good by the way) and inability to corner. And what’s with the brakes, I have never ridden one with good brakes, but maybe that has changed now as that should be a simple fix.

The Indian is a little like the British Triumph I guess re-invented and therefore probably not as held back as HD by tradition, are they in general more modern ?, they seem to look just as cool or better, HD seem to have lost their way a little in design, some of their newer designs really suck or is that just me ? Anyway opinions are like ass hole we all have one and that is as it should be. Your thoughts on the Indian would be appreciated.
  5. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knock yourself out Bubba, I like how your mind works, Yes this is a ADV bike forum but we all have lives as well and to be honest yours is pretty interesting. I hope others feel the same way. There are always plenty of bike stuff mixed in there. If not there are loads more chain to check out.

I have never ridden or even seen an Indian in RL, being a Brit living in China and soon to retire to Thailand I may never get the chance and I am very interested. Are they pretty much like a HD as I have ridden a few of those and enjoyed them more for joy of riding a HD than the quality ride as they are to be honest not the best thing on two wheels pretty much like a John Deere of the motorcycle world I guess, as bikes go given what you should expect at the cost, but the coolest thing as bikes go on the other hand and not bad ride just not just not great. A little like American cars, great V8’s but piss poor build quality (HD build quality is good by the way) and inability to corner. And what’s with the brakes, I have never ridden one with good brakes, but maybe that has changed now as that should be a simple fix.

The Indian is a little like the British Triumph I guess re-invented and therefore probably not as held back as HD by tradition, are they in general more modern ?, they seem to look just as cool or better, HD seem to have lost their way a little in design, some of their newer designs really suck or is that just me ? Anyway opinions are like ass hole we all have one and that is as it should be. Your thoughts on the Indian would be appreciated. Yours which looks great by the way, almost looks like a fatter version of a Ducati street bike with narrower tires than the europeans would use, they just love those fat bike tires, I think Ducati must have shares in the rubber industry, that cornering thing again I guess.
  6. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I have owned a couple Harleys and I would agree 100% that the build quality is really good, and I enjoyed the ones I owned, but I would also say that they aren't "riders bikes." They are torquey which helps the big heavy bike feel spunkier than they should.

This is my only Indian, so I can't speak to the approach to the whole line. I will say that this FTR is top notch. When you run the switch gear, it feels quality, controls are well thought out, operating the menus is pretty self intuitive.

But the thing it is best at is... Being a riders bike.

I am not deep into the sport bike world, so I haven't ridden many bikes that would be an equivalent type. I will say this bike does everything right out in the road. Engine revs out smoothly, shifts gears cleanly, clutch is easy to operate, suspension is smooth, brakes are strong but not grabby (could be abs / traction control). Lets not forget... This bike is also super good looking. Form, function and quality all in a single package. We'll see how long term reliability goes, but I have zero worries
  7. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    So here is my rant on tire equipment. I spent way too much time researching and weighing the options. I wanted a machine that did car wheels and motorcycle wheels. I didn't think that was asking a lot because most manufacturers motorcycle machine is a car machine with an adapter.

I opted to buy the Ranger machine and balancer. Had good reviews, price point was inline etc.

I go to balance the first customer wheel, and the wheel is wobbling like crazy. Long story short, the arbor was bent. I noticed it was worse the further the wheel went to the outside... Like the wheel was heavy enough to bend the arbor. After 2 days dealing with warranty on it, they relented and sent me a new arbor. That didn't do much better, it wasn't machined the same as the other one and had issues centering. Sent another tech support issues, and haven't heard anything back.

Not sure where to go from here. I want it fixed, but I don't know if that is even possible at this point.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet it is manufactured in China ? Quality is unfortunatly difficult to find these days as is good customer service. Good luck.
  9. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    Tire equipment is gone.

P_20190715_205553_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I had two customers come in and I could only static balance the front wheels (because of the deflection in the arbor), the balancer in "car mode" did do good on the BMW rear wheels. The tire machine flexed the duck bill so much when the tire got tight that I put a bad scratch in the rim. That was the final straw. I listed the pair for sale, took my loss and I'll be upgrading.

It makes me mad because I am a professional and want to do the professional thing always. I don't even really care about the money it cost me all that much, I hate that I was supposed to be a professional, doing a professional job, and my equipment let me down.

I have customers coming in, and I can't fathom doing the job, knowing that I am not doing the best i can.

I have some options and I will be purchasing again in the next week.

Sorry for the rant. I've been pretty bent about it the last week
    chris a likes this.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s the spirit, if a first you don’t succeed, throw the shit out and get better shit, I am with you on this all the way, I despair of people bitching about stuff they have purchased and then do nothing about it but continue to bitch. Anyone that has not done the same as you chose to do and replace will have had to stumble through having to make do with 3rd rate equipment and that unpleasant feeling of less than satisfaction, not quite sure that sums it up but its close. I bet however before you buy the next batch you nail it down and it will do exactly what you purchased it for this time, lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!!
    chris a and mach1mustang351 like this.
  11. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    I think what frustrates me the most is, I researched a lot and felt I made a good decision. To spend all that time and effort trying to avoid an issue, and STILL have an issue, makes it worse. I feel it was okay equipment for a car application, the way the lip is shaped on a BMW wheel, makes the head not fit the best against the rim, but it still shouldn't have happened.

I have a line on a machine that may do the trick. Checking it out tomorrow.
    chris a likes this.
  12. gumpt100

gumpt100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my first ride on my T140 project. I have re-built her over the past 2 years, and today was the first time she has been started since 1995. She started second kick and ran really well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful it I may say so. Maybe other than the air filter which are a little cheesy ? but the biker, is very fine indeed, why no front light ?
  14. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    that's pretty sharp. Wish I had a functioning Brit bike. Keep following along... Maybe someday
  15. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    My wife's family is in town and they went down south to go fishing all week. I decided to head down last night to meet them, then ride home. Great excuse to get some miles in, they forgot a few things they needed and I get to hang with the family. I get about 50 miles into my 150 mile 1 way trip and it starts raining. I made a total Alaska rookie move, I believed a weather report from 2 days ago that said it would be nice all week. It was dumping rain for the next 80 miles. When I got there, I decided the best thing would be to not mess around and head back. So my wife went and bought me a rain suit (mistake 2, didn't bring rain suit) I played with my 9 month old for about an hour and set on back. It absolutely poured for the next 50 miles or so, even hailed on me. Luckily at that point it let up quite a bit and was a sensible drizzle all the way back. Stopped for a stretch and took this pic

P_20190723_220701_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I have had a broken fog light on the Stelvio for a year or so. I have been going back and forth on what to replace them with. I have been over thinking it and today I found these Hella lights I thought looked pretty cool, so I picked them up.

P_20190724_194222_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190724_195107_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190724_195120_vHDR_Auto.jpg

They are bigger around than the originals, but I think they work.
    Scoozi likes this.
  16. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    It's been a little while since I posted anything, so here is a big huge random pile of updates.

The Kawasaki Jet ski got the cooling system cleaned out and engine torn down to come up with a rebuild plan.
    P_20190806_211348_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190806_211342_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    It was hard to get really good pictures of the cylinder walls, but the front cylinder really had a tough time. Took the cylinder to a friend for a second opinion and he agrees it will need sleeved, re lined, or replaced. Unfortunately, finding a replacement cylinder is proving difficult. So it is pushed to the side for now.

P_20190816_220406_vHDR_Auto.jpg

The XS750 is back. It was having a charging system issue. I nailed it down to the regulator/rectifier pretty quick, but the owner provided me with a couple spares... That also didn't work. So I spent a bunch of extra time looking for a root cause and second guessing my findings. Bought a good quality replacement assembly and it charges great.

I also got @PNWParker WR250R on the bench. If you guys have seen his situation. He lost a chain heading up to Prudhoe on his big adventure.

P_20190818_215129_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190818_215201_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190818_221023_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Going to attempt a repair and see if we can get it going without replacing cases.

Not too terribly random, but definitely a diversity of projects. :rofl
  17. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    Ordered a balancer
    EEWB330BSNAPON.jpg
    I've been all over how to correct my issues and I went with the Snap On balancer. I got a demo of the unit on bike wheels and I used the same model in my last shop and it was easy to use and was a work horse.

I am waiting for a credit on the last adapter on my last wheel equipment purchase, then I'm likely going with this.

755EZ-1-02.jpg

The Atlas is an inexpensive machine but seems to have good reviews. I have used a similar machine with assist arm, and it should alleviate the potential scratch issue because these assists make the need for the duck bill, and the tire iron reduced. I don't like the extra space it is going to take up, but it's worth not tearing up customers stuff.

P_20190824_202527_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190824_202520_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Did my JB weld repair on the WR250.

Hope to have that buttoned up this week
    Scoozi likes this.
  18. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    Went at it with the file and sand paper to smooth out the JB weld repair. Pretty much there. All the starter gears clear on the inside and a little finish work on flattening the gasket surface to go.

P_20190825_202955_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190825_202947_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    Scoozi likes this.
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work. And a Snap On, nice.
  20. mach1mustang351

Oddometer:
    Baby has been sick, so I haven't been sleeping and dealing with that. Stole some time on @PNWParker WR today. Sanded the gasket surface smooth and found there could be some chain interference, so I profiled the overflow JB Weld

P_20190828_192543_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190828_192858_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20190828_192558_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190828_192606_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Gotta pick up a fresh gasket tomorrow and put it back together. I am as confident as you can be on a JB weld repair. I think it turned out just fine.
    bar-low and chris a like this.