GWN Winter Riding Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Oct 28, 2006.

1. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff, Guys. :thumb

On the topic of studs -- are you guys making your own, or is there a shop out there that does it? Last year I tried bidding on a bunch of wessel guns, but they all went for more than I could afford.
  2. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Aerostitch sells them but any of your local tire dealers would sell you a box of 1000. Not sure what you got around Conway there...but, just make sure you get the right length....:ear If you have not read this thread...it might help...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171448
  3. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are just using regular (11mm/13mm) car studs. If driving with studded car tires is legal in your state......any tire shop should have the equipment to do them.

If you can't get them done.....we buy our stuff at 6 Robbers.....a west coast company. Maybe they can ship you the stuff????
    http://www.sixrobblees.com/
  4. PackMule

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link. :thumb

Since I can't afford a gun right now, maybe I'll drill up a set of knobs and see if a local tire shop will stud 'em for me. :dunno

Sounds like the #12 or #13 studs are the 'standard'? Any idea what the drill bit size is?

Thanks,
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on the height of the knob, even #12 or #13 studs might be a little long for the front tire. You'll need to measure. I just used a 1/8" bit, broken off short so I could chuck it up in my die grinder with just enough sticking out to drill the hole to the right depth.
    A standard drill won't work too well, as the rubber needs to be burned/melted out of the hole. Need something that will turn at least 15,000 rpm. If you need some shorter studs for the front, I have almost 1000 #10's (that's 10mm in length) and could send you some if you can't find them locally.
  6. PackMule

Oddometer:

Thanks, Alcan. :thumb

So the stud # corresponds to the length in mm (is that a 1:1 ratio to the drill depth, or should the hole be just a bit short?)

A buddy has a high speed air drill I could borrow for the holes.

Thanks guys!
  7. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    When drilling, I match the drill length to the stud length. Unless you're planning on riding on ice and snow immediately, you don't want the studs sticking out too far.
    Maybe 5 will chime in here with his method.
  8. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    That's what ya get for living in the banana belt. :lol3 Come on up to Glennallen. We haven't hit zero yet, but any day now... :vardy

Hopefully, I can bring the Heat-Troller along to Eureka with me when I come. One thing, fellas - if it's snowing hard I ain't gonna make it. Not worried about the bike, it's them BDC's out there that have me concerned. Visibility can be down to 200' an they're still running 70+. Wouldn't want to take a sudden spill in front of one.:eek1
  9. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    "BDC's?" Lemme guess. Blind, dumb, cager's? A very valid concern. :eek1
  10. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not gonna ride if it's snowing either. My wifes little Ranger is real good in this stuff, BUT yesterday I came this >< close to getting nailed by some guy who slid through a stop sign into my lane.:eek1

We will play this weekend by ear.:ear:rofl

Got my truck parked today....that thing is REAL worhless (empty) in this stuff. 2 of the pits I work at are closing this weekend for the winter......not sure about the others yet. My truck goes into the shop on the 13th for it's "end of the season" fixes........then parked for the winter. So it looks like I will be done for the winter in a couple weeks.:clap

Then I can :ricky:vardy:kurt:1drink:rofl
  11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    "Brain dead cagers" is what I was thinking of, but yours works just as well. :D
  12. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    And you'll have all winter to recover. :rofl
  13. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Just noticing how much earlier it's getting dark, and thinking (gives me an awful headache, so I try not to do it very often) that pie and coffee might be better eaten around noon or 1:00 PM at Eureka. Unless you guys from the banana belt wanna ride home in the dark with cagers all around. :eek1
    Weather poorcast is for continued sparkling skies and a bit chilly around the edges - perfect riding weather. :clap
    Haven't been out of town for a while, so can't give any road reports... but last time I was through Eureka the pavement was mostly dry with just a few icy spots. Watch out whenever you get on the north side of a hill that shades the road. There's one such place just after you top out on the east side of Caribou Hill, around Mile 108.5. Try not to discover any others the hard way. :uhoh
    Got the front studded TKC80 on the Zook today, so I'll check it out Saturday, but will probably ride the Wing to Eureka. If the check ride doesn't go well I might not make it to Eureka. :kurt
  14. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I will be thinking about you guy's:vardy as I throw another log on the fire:jkam
  15. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Thought you were supposed to be busy painting the inside of the new shop. :evil :evil

:lol3 :lol3
  16. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the ride Sunday???:confused Gotta work Saturday for sure.....it may spill over to Sunday.:dunno

Most of the pits are closing so people wanna get their gravel NOW. :loco Today it wa 10 at the pit......zero at the job site......gotta say it compacted real well!!!:rofl

I haven't had time to test out my bike much.......hopefully it won't be much below zero.:lol3
  17. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I went and looked at paint does that count?
  18. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    If'n you can get it by Penguin...:D
  19. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    The weather is PURFECT right now for the ride....so, I would like to depart the Wasilla area around 9am to ensure plenty o' time for a 12 pm rendezvous with Alcan Rider. If we burn it fast, we can do a loop up Bellinger Pass.
  20. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't know till Sat night if I gotta work Sunday. This afternoon and tomorrow the plan is to be working up Buffalo Mine, so my cell won't work. Right now I will plan on going Sunday. Where do you want to meet at 9:00.?:D