GWN Winter Riding Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Oct 28, 2006.

1. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    How about the Palmer Chevron?

Yo Anchortown Arctic Riders.....AKDUKLR and Beezer? Talk you guys into a big ride? The photo oppty's should be spectacular with the frost hore on the trees....
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking (there I go again :huh ) that we could ride a little past Eureka to a pullout around Mile 135 and get a shot of the bikes with Nelchina Glacier in the background, and maybe another one close to the Matanuska Glacier. Should be lots of snow covering the terrain by now, and make some good winter riding shots.
    Whatcha think? :ear
    Maybe I can leave a little early and meet y'all closer to the Matanuska Glacier while the sun is still to the east a few degrees.
  3. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    She's got a new buggie I can get anything by her for a day or too:wink: You mite see a silver AWD roller skate on the way there we mite be in the mood for pie. Oh by when you get to the ICU in the new hospital before,dering or after the ride just used her name and maybe you will get the best treatment thay have.:lol3
  4. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Sounds great Jack...I am totally flexible....I will turn on my PM machine and if you could shoot me your cell #.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I'm a maybe for Sunday. Bear in mind that my bike is geared way down for the hack & is only good for 55 - 60 sustained cruise, and slower in the curves. No worries, I'll be ready to ride my own ride if I make it at all. Sheep Mountain Lodge has giant carrot cake & sweetrolls. Bellanger.... I don't think so.
  6. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Akphotog: Number is on its way.

Beezer: Sheep Mt. Lodge was closed for business last time I came by there. But it's only 15 more miles to Eureka. Copper Center Lodge has good food too. :D

Friar: You gonna ride... er, drive sweep? :lol3

You guys try to control akphotog, will ya? He's liable to have us all riding down to Valdez for some pictures if ya don't. :rofl
  7. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that Jack...I had pondered that route to grab some photos of the road damage....save that for another day. :evil
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Howdy "cold weather gang." I just dropped a tooth in the front on mine too. Back to stock now for me. I cruised around our neighborhood for about a half an hour right after that last big snow and decided I go lower. We have a lot of cul de sac's around here and it was fun gettin crossed up around em. Looking forward to some lakes or big untreaded parking lots where I throw down some big swooping slides. FUN! :D

Don't think I'm gonna make any big rides this weekend. Work Sat and stuff goin on Sun.

I'm not sure if Sheep Mtn is open again yet either. My favorite northern day ride destination in the summer! Yummy food. The twisties also end there. :evil

Have fun. Mark H.
  9. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Will miss you AKDUC.... :)

Hey, Legion....r u mounted and ready to ride yet? Can you join us?
  10. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    I took these knock-off riding boots I had and drilled 'em to make sure I was ready for dismount.

[​IMG]
  11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Had thought about doing similar using the car tire studs along the outer edge of one of my pairs of boots. Trying to hold the bike up when your feet go out sideways ain't no fun.
  12. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride this morning-

[​IMG]

Cottonwood slough and Nelson road.

[​IMG]
  13. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Not sure what I'm going to do about the boots. They aren't doing the job at 12º, so I'm thinking that I'm not going to ride up to Eureka just yet, unless i carry a bag with me......

one big enough to hold my toes! :cry

The main roads are pretty clear. Side roads are varying degrees of OK to holy crap, especially the road by the fire station off trunk. That road is ice, with a fairly significant uphill component, pucker factor!

But nothing like what faces Legion, if he comes out of the eagle's nest.
  14. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Like KL5A, this morning beckoned in a big way to go out and absorb Alaska at it's best. I headed out about 10:30am an opted for the Bogard ->Trunk Road->Hatcher pass route. Suspected that maybe Wasilla Fishhook would have mixed conditions. It was a spectacular morning but it was gusting which nerved me a bit until I got used to it. On my upward approach, in the shade it was 2ºf and felt fine at about 50mph. Just passing the Palmer Fishook interesection the road became mixed with sand, snowlge and some ice so I slow down a bit. Not realizing what I would eventually encounter, EVERY cage looked bewildered at my presence. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I scoped out Archangel and it was officially closed to motorized traffic with the gate to remind even me. As I proceeded up to the lower big parking lot, it was JAM PACKED with skiers, snowboarders and hikers. The wee stopped everyone in their tracks.

I past the turnoff to Summit Lake and made an initial attempt to get to the hard pack, but as I was spinning my wheels, a ranger came by and he acknowledged my vehicle did not really fall into any specific category but could not condone my access. He also thought the skiers might violently oppose my efforts. LOL

As I head up to the upper parking lot, I spoke with another ranger. Young guy and he was impressed. He explained that we could apply for a permit to do a group ride with some future advanced notice. Might be something to consider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would only now ride with studded boots. MANDATORY. Everything else was good to go. Totally excited about tomorrow!
  15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I been wearing Bunny Boots. They work fine on the KLR......had to adjust the shifter so they would fit.:evil
  16. KL5A

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that cagers will do one of 2 things when confronted with a motorcycle in the winter.....

Most of them stare :eek1

Some of them try really, really hard not to look at you.

I suspect those guys are the ones who put there bikes up in Septmeber and get them out in May... :rofl
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'm furiously working to get my stuff squared away so I can ride on Sunday but I don't think I'll make the 9:00a Palmer thing. I've got a lot of comfort level to pick up before I jump out on a couple three hundred miler so it might be best for me to fart around the hillside tomorrow seeing how tough it might be to dump this thing.

As a side note, lots of the streets are pretty dry but I've got a stud in every knob except those on the outside edge. It'll probably allow me to get off the mountain w/out having to buy new plasit but I'm a tad concerned about riding on a band of steel at speed through the twisties. I'll probably pass on the meeting in the AM but might catch up w/ you guys on your way back.

Careful about walking into a restaurant w/ those hobnail boots on, Photog. They're tough on linoleum and will gouge chunks out of the flooring. I picked up a set of studded over-galoshes and have been using 'em for years. The best part is that you can yank 'em off quick when you want to go inside.
  18. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok.......guess I am as set as I will ever be.:D I will meet "whoever" at the Palmer Chevron tomorrow (Sunday) at 9:00AM.:evil
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the rheostat!!!!:norton
  20. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    My goal is to maintain 90º perpendicular with the slab as much as possible. Which probably means slowing down to 40 mph in some areas. :deal

Yea, I have the slip overs....but, want to make sure hangs up on my kickstand or other parts of my bike...and, I foresee these rides have very little inside time as I will be so layered that getting too warm inside is a bad deal. But, as always, sage advice Legion. :deal Thanks bro.

Hope to see you somewhere on the road as the more in a photo the better...but, you need to post a classic the the TA picture thread. :freaky