GWN Winter Riding Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I can't commit to a full day trip tomorrow (Sunday) too many other things to do. I could fool around some on the back roads - like behind Jim Lake or sompin. I could make it later in the late morn/early afternoon. Legion? KL5A? AKDuc?

Anyway, I 've been driving the skooter almost every day & tweekin the suspension and it's working better than ever. Got a new tail light too.

P.S. AKPhotog - nice work dude, if I'd known I couda made that ride. I went to Arctic Valley today though - alas, no pix. Guess I need to start bringing the camera.
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Is the Arctic valley road open to civilian traffic? That could be an interesting trip.

Like you, I'm open for some riding but won't be able to make a day of it. Jim lake/creek/I dunno, I'm open to ideas.
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...too warm to ride in the heat of the day, so I waited 'til the sun went down to take a little ride. :D
    Trying different tire pressures to see what gives the best handling off road. Still experimenting. Practiced picking the Wing up, too... just in case I need to do it some day. :wink:
    Went out the first time - only about 3 below - all dressed up, electric vest on & plugged in (but not turned on) and came back to add air to the tires and took off the vest and the zip-on collar on my jacket. Ain't cold enough for that stuff yet!
    Lots of double takes tonight from cagers. :lol3 That's good! Anything that makes them give me a second look improves my chances for survival. :nod Sure was purty out tonight, with the nearly full moon shining on the mountains. Just needed the Northern Lights to start dancing around to make it perfect.
    Looking forward to meeting up with whoever can make it tomorrow. Only supposed to drop to -20 tonight, so after riding it tonight the Wing should crank up in the morning. Gonna try to leave here early enough to catch y'all before you get to the Matanuska Glacier so we can get some photos. We'll see...
    In the meantime...
    [​IMG]
    Sleep warm, everyone. :D
  4. KL5A

Oddometer:
  5. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Great shot Jack....u riding the zook tomorrow or the winger?
  6. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. I'll think about joinin up.

Alcan Rider, you're amazing! I'm impressed! I think you deserve some national recognition!

Take care. Have fun. Mark H.
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I did some reading in this site and I can see most are not real winter rider's just sort of.
  8. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    It was getting kind of late by the time I got back from riding the Wing so I never took the Zook out. Have to wait 'til tomorrow night for that. Need to take it out and aim the driving lights anyway. I took the expensive Cibie's off and stuck some Hella's on it for the winter, just in case it decides to lay down and take a nap. :wink: So I'll be on the Wing.
  9. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    :vardy Dam thats chilly:vardy

10. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Mine's running. :clap :clap
    -23 on the thermometer, -20 out at Gulkana airport, +3 at Eureka, - 6 at Sheep Mountain, -26 at Snowshoe Lake (you guys won't have to come that far), and not a cloud in the sky. Looks like a beautiful day for a ride. :D
    The Wing showed a little reluctance to get going this morning, but after riding it 'til nearly 9:00 last night, and leaving the battery maintainer on all night to keep the battery comfy, it cranked over pretty good.
    Pie and coffee should be pretty welcome by the time we get to Eureka. :lol3
  11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    ...sorry no one else was able to make it.
    Toasty warm at Eureka - must have been close to 10 above. :clap
    The surrounding mountains were spectacular - as usual on a clear day. AKphotog and Wheeldog made it in fine time, and even did a little exploring along the way... with lots of great photos, of course.
    The sun wasn't in the best position for some of the shots we wanted, but we made do anyhow.
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

for a start, with more to come, naturally, including some action shots.
  12. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Totally awesome guys!

Sorry I couldn't make it, had to do some family time. Not to worry, it looks like it might be a long winter....
  13. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    You guys are some BMF's, fo' frizzle!!
    :huh

.......:vardy..........
    .....:vardy:vardy........
    ...:vardy:vardy:vardy......
  14. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Great shots jack.....be great if you wanted to post them on the trip report...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3530859#post3530859

Jack's 3-some shot gets the gold star in my opinion...despite being pretty fng cold by the end of the day.....I had to stop ONE MORE TIME.

[​IMG]

Thanks Jack and Wheeldog...a trully fabulous DAY!
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pix, guys! Some of THE best I've seen! Maybe it's the uniqueness or somethin. :wink:

I did a short ride myself. More neighborhood cul-de-sac cross-ups! Fun. I also went and said hello to Barb and Doug at Ak Leather.

Thanks for sharin the pix. Mark H.
  16. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    A few more photos:
    Partaking of sustenance at Eureka Roadhouse -
    [​IMG]

Akphotog showing off his... equipment -
    [​IMG]

The group salute, without which no ADVrider photo shoot would be complete -
    [​IMG]
  17. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    :thumbup :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy:vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :vardy :thumb

18. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    + :vardy :vardy
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good time was had. My bike's in pieces in the garage. Nothing major wrong w/ it just sort of an OCD / ADD thing that sidetracks me when I get to doing a simple task like tires and notice "hey, brakes too... and while I'm at it..."

The bike's up in the air sans tires, wheels and plastic. One new thing I learned today was about changing tires in the cold. Room temp rubber is semipliable but zero degree rubber doesn't come off the rim w/out some serious wrestling and damage. The tire machine's coming in for the winter, quick.
  20. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Yo 'dat.

Or, just buy another bike w/ good rubber... :deal

:lol3