Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    well, i decided since i couldnt in one, ill start one,

i just started teh facebook group, south west sydney motorcycle gymkhana

see what happens if anybody joins it,

any ideas how i start a club if i get interest?

im happy to hit local car parks set up witches hats and ride around them, but with a group of people this might attract some interest.
  2. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Tubaman

Tubaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing Gymkhana in Sweden?:ear
  4. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think we have anyone from Sweden currently.
    You can always start off with our remote competition, while you are by yourself. People tend to gravitate towards you after a while, once they start noticing what you are doing. And if you are good at it, it'll be that much faster.
    :D

Our Remote Competition page:
    http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-competition/

We also have quite a few people on our Facebook Group from all over the world. Again I don't think we have anyone from Sweden, but I'm not 100% sure.

Our FB group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/
  5. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Ordered the file! It can be burned to a DVD so I can share with my group, right?
  6. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, shouldn't be a problem. You can either burn that file on a disk and share that, to be played on PC, or if you have DVD making software, you can make a proper DVD that can be played on the actual DVD player, on TV.

We had one issue with people on Mac not getting the sound. Let us know if you are on Mac and have that problem. info@moto-gym.com

Otherwise, enjoy!
  7. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a silly little video I made to mark my three years of practicing Moto Gymkhana. Hope you all enjoy.

:norton

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gazmj48-JCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. Jezza

Jezza A British Invasion

Oddometer:
    :clap Thanks for that, its great to see how we have all improved as riders in such a short time, learning from each other. :clap
  9. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First post of 2015. Everybody must be practicing hard out.

Not exactly Gymkhana related but might be of interest. We stuck a trials bike in the shed just before Christmas and I have been practicing religiously, trying to do 15 mins a day in the garden. Balance, throttle control, body position ect. I'm improving but not exactly a threat to Tony Bou.
    Until recently the TDM has had very sporadic use but I have had to ride on a daily basis for the last week. Bugger:D
    Well blow me down, hard on the stops turns at any time and all the Gymkhana techniques are suddenly effortless. And very smooth.
    The hard physical practice on the wee trials bike has translated instantly to the big bike.
    Great way to keep fit, too.
    I'm really looking forward to getting a GP8 set up soon to see the difference.
    I'm quite amazed. What I'm learning on an 80kg bike works on a 250kg bike.
  10. Oreh

Oreh Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. anselmo

anselmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Complete noob here. Interested in comments re timekeeping. The app mentioned just above makes sense to me. Mount a smart phone on a tripod, camera on, ride past it to start and finish, probably no gps involvement, basically like an old fashioned stopwatch. Is it that simple??
  12. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, this thread is back from the dead, good to see that!

We had a first outting last weekend, not much footage, but I was fooling around a bit on GP8. :D

For anyone new to this thread or Gymkhana, here are a few links to follow:

Our site with course diagrams, and more info:
    www.moto-gym.com

Our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/

There is a lot more conversation going on there, than here at this point.

I'll try to post a bit more in this thread as the season goes on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VhBJWYiIWDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a set time you guys meet up regularly? Im not on Facebook...
  15. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a practice session planned for Sat at 11:00 am. Floyd Bennett Field. The last lot, where the fishing spot is. Either that, or right in front of the tower, near "Aviator".
  16. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess as a follow up to "Garbagekid0" question, do a lot of you guys who might be interested in joining in, don't have Facebook?

What are other options of interaction and staying up to date with our antics would you prefer?
  17. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the best place for me, but i did check the site. This thread or the site works for me. I will try to be there Saturday morning, silver sv1000s and white helmet.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Safety Foundation of Montevallo, AL put on a Top Gun event this past weekend. I don't know the official count, but it looked to be over 200 riders. There was a 'drill team' or something that attended also, folks from florida, texas, and ohio I believe. Great bunch of riders, with really fun courses setup.

The temperature was cool (40F on my ride down from birmingham, al) but just about perfect while I was there. Our local group in Birmingham had a father/son team that rode four hours to arrive at 930 am, all the way from Mobile, AL. In sub 40F temps. On street bikes. Great to see them out on the course together, and I believe I commented while shooting video, just how cool that was to me. :clap:clap

The riders on hand were very skillled. The cops put on a nice show of competitive spirit, and I believe one of them gets to wash bikes for a month since he lost. :D You'll notice the green helmet rider was unusually smooth and seemed to be having a great time. I did a short interview with her (hey you!) but will leave her information private unless she speaks up. Yes, she's faster than most of the guys, easily. What she's doing is being SMOOOOOOTH, and not caring about fast. This is the key, from my experience.

Speaking of experience, mine was fun, but pitiful. I killed at least 8 kones during my run, and didn't remember the course route, so I wasn't even in the standings. Earlier in the day I was doing some practice on the beginner course (which was great) and noticed my front tire wasn't very grippy. The pavement just wasn't hot enough, and I actually skidded the front (in a straight line) 5-10 feet several times while trying to test for traction availability. Even after dragging the front brake out on the road to warm up the tire, it was moosh. I ended my run by taking out a tall kone (i really like the short ones you can lean over better!) that knocked the bike into neutral. No onboard video of that (oops) but KC captured the ugly on her iphone:

http://s756.photobucket.com/user/KrisCook/media/IMG_0126_zpscqom4874.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

and the full course video here:
    http://vimeo.com/123628265

Think i'm going to practice with regular kones stacked up high to mimic the taller ones Top Gun guys use. Normally, the short kones are like RIGHT THERE, brushing the bark busters or the tail pipe.

One other note of interest: I now have a street legal kdx220, which will be hooligan mod'ed this summer. THAT bike is going to seriously improve things come gymkhana time ! :clap
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was 33 degrees as I headed down to Montevallo from Huntsville. It was worth the ride to get some fun practice in, watch the experts and hang out with some friends. I did take a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got there too late to get much practice in before the called for sign ups for the competition so all I ended up doing was some practice. It was fun and the first time doing this on my Versys. I felt like a complete noob the first few times around the course but a few laps of practice made a huge difference.
  20. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    I gave you a :clap as you were heading south in downtown Birmingham, and I was heading north.