Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. anselmo

anselmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Complete noob here. Interested in comments re timekeeping. The app mentioned just above makes sense to me. Mount a smart phone on a tripod, camera on, ride past it to start and finish, probably no gps involvement, basically like an old fashioned stopwatch. Is it that simple??
  2. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, this thread is back from the dead, good to see that!

We had a first outting last weekend, not much footage, but I was fooling around a bit on GP8. :D

For anyone new to this thread or Gymkhana, here are a few links to follow:

Our site with course diagrams, and more info:
    www.moto-gym.com

Our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/motogymkhananyc/

There is a lot more conversation going on there, than here at this point.

I'll try to post a bit more in this thread as the season goes on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VhBJWYiIWDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a set time you guys meet up regularly? Im not on Facebook...
  5. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a practice session planned for Sat at 11:00 am. Floyd Bennett Field. The last lot, where the fishing spot is. Either that, or right in front of the tower, near "Aviator".
  6. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess as a follow up to "Garbagekid0" question, do a lot of you guys who might be interested in joining in, don't have Facebook?

What are other options of interaction and staying up to date with our antics would you prefer?
  7. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the best place for me, but i did check the site. This thread or the site works for me. I will try to be there Saturday morning, silver sv1000s and white helmet.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Safety Foundation of Montevallo, AL put on a Top Gun event this past weekend. I don't know the official count, but it looked to be over 200 riders. There was a 'drill team' or something that attended also, folks from florida, texas, and ohio I believe. Great bunch of riders, with really fun courses setup.

The temperature was cool (40F on my ride down from birmingham, al) but just about perfect while I was there. Our local group in Birmingham had a father/son team that rode four hours to arrive at 930 am, all the way from Mobile, AL. In sub 40F temps. On street bikes. Great to see them out on the course together, and I believe I commented while shooting video, just how cool that was to me. :clap:clap

The riders on hand were very skillled. The cops put on a nice show of competitive spirit, and I believe one of them gets to wash bikes for a month since he lost. :D You'll notice the green helmet rider was unusually smooth and seemed to be having a great time. I did a short interview with her (hey you!) but will leave her information private unless she speaks up. Yes, she's faster than most of the guys, easily. What she's doing is being SMOOOOOOTH, and not caring about fast. This is the key, from my experience.

Speaking of experience, mine was fun, but pitiful. I killed at least 8 kones during my run, and didn't remember the course route, so I wasn't even in the standings. Earlier in the day I was doing some practice on the beginner course (which was great) and noticed my front tire wasn't very grippy. The pavement just wasn't hot enough, and I actually skidded the front (in a straight line) 5-10 feet several times while trying to test for traction availability. Even after dragging the front brake out on the road to warm up the tire, it was moosh. I ended my run by taking out a tall kone (i really like the short ones you can lean over better!) that knocked the bike into neutral. No onboard video of that (oops) but KC captured the ugly on her iphone:

http://s756.photobucket.com/user/KrisCook/media/IMG_0126_zpscqom4874.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

and the full course video here:
    http://vimeo.com/123628265

Think i'm going to practice with regular kones stacked up high to mimic the taller ones Top Gun guys use. Normally, the short kones are like RIGHT THERE, brushing the bark busters or the tail pipe.

One other note of interest: I now have a street legal kdx220, which will be hooligan mod'ed this summer. THAT bike is going to seriously improve things come gymkhana time ! :clap
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was 33 degrees as I headed down to Montevallo from Huntsville. It was worth the ride to get some fun practice in, watch the experts and hang out with some friends. I did take a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got there too late to get much practice in before the called for sign ups for the competition so all I ended up doing was some practice. It was fun and the first time doing this on my Versys. I felt like a complete noob the first few times around the course but a few laps of practice made a huge difference.
  10. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    I gave you a :clap as you were heading south in downtown Birmingham, and I was heading north.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You were obviously going the wrong way.

:lol3:lol3
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I check in on this thread every so often. Two years ago, I organized my own gymkhana event at my Church parking lot.

I think I need to do it again. Thanks for the inspiring pics.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  13. x10

x10 n00b

Oddometer:
    This happened in the Netherlands last week: the European Championship of Moto Gymkhana. With riders from the UK, Belgium, Poland, Czechia, Russia, France, the Netherlands. It was great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxxVOyAGFM

First half minute only is Dutch spoken.
  14. Jezza

Jezza A British Invasion

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that, I noticed the Japanese star rider Hunter Tabibito did a demonstration ride on a borrowed bike, looks like we've all got to keep practicing :eek1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eVY8f0NMxwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    There has been some interest in Qld on the Gold Coast

This is my fb page.
    https://www.facebook.com/Motogymkhanaqueensland?ref=hl
    So far we have held meets sponsored by a local rider trainer org which takes care of insurances concerns though there is the kernel of idea to move toward a club eventually. Baby steps as yet :-)

We have great fun and it's very informal as yet.

I looked for you on fb but couldn't find it ... a link maybe?
  16. x10

x10 n00b

Oddometer:

Hunter went incredibly fast given the fact he didn't know the bike and he had had one day to get used to it. His own bike is very different, especially in the pickup at low revs. Still, he came in fourth. And we all had a lot of fun.

These are the results:

http://www.christine.nl/mg/results
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

it's this Saturday, is free, and it's awesome !
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    That does look fun.

The above video looks like he's just flying around randomly. Is there a map of how he was supposed to navigate the cones??
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    depending on the rules, some give you a map, others only one walk through.

we focus on fun and run the same courses multiple times throughout the day.

also, yellow cone, blue cone, etc mean left right circle.
  20. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes, usually a map. Japanese hardcore compeitions give you a map only 30-40 minutes right before the event, so you have to walk the course and memorize it in that time.

And yes, rules are pretty simple. Blue cone means go left around it, red cone means go right around it, and there are different variation on yellows as well as stripes on the cones, could mean out of bounds, could mean a full rotation around the cone, etc. Here in USA it kinda depends on who is setting up the course.