Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I bet that would be a hoot on my little stripped down GN400 ice bike fitted with all sport tires.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    this weekend is our first local (biggish) event. i'll have some pics from it sunday evening. should be a hoot.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll see you there. :ricky:ricky:ricky
  4. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I jave been practicing on a trials bike. Now I have to add a little speed.
  5. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to see a vid of some quick full lock turns......... My Gasgas is all about throttle and feet. It hurls itself over when you figure out the dynamics. Trials tires do not like corners, it would be very interesting to ride a trials bike with some profiled rubber.
    Hopefully I will be introducing a novice rider to gymkhana skills this weekend. Not on a trials bike..
  6. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love gymkhana! Hoping to go again sometime. My (formerly my...) R50/5 was fantastic out there. Lots of fun.

7. Flywalker

Flywalker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!

Bit late to this thread. I live in Hokkaido, Japan and have been practicing gymkhana off and on since 2008. LOVE it! I even spent a few years competing at the regional level. There is so much to learn in this sport that it really does take years and years to become very good. My coach was Hokkaido champ for 13 years and made it to 5th nationally in his heyday.

I am still working on my technique... and my Japanese. I stumbled upon this page by chance when I was searching for technique tips in English. Hopefully I can learn and perhaps share a few insights on what goes on over here.
    MNimum and ohgood like this.
  8. Flywalker

Flywalker n00b

Oddometer:
    Riders in Japan on inline 4 engines crank their idling speed up to 3,000 rpm on bikes 600cc and smaller.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

I wish we had the desire to up our skills here in the USA. Unfortunately all there is here is trash talking about football or more chrome, on Monday mornings.
  10. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WELCOME Flywalker! Thank you for joining. :clap

I hope you find this thread to have valuable insight but you might have more experience and exposure than any other English speaker on here.

I hate to pepper you with questions in your first visit - but I've been curious what common bike platform those who want to go into gymkhana start with? I mean after they've dabbled with their original first motorcycles and have decided to become more committed? What were you riding when you first started training and competing?

Any good novice websites you would recommend?

Again - welcome.
  11. Flywalker

Flywalker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi MNimum!

Actually... I am up to page 25 and it is proving quite helpful! My Japanese is not bad but there are sooo many technical words used in this sport that my learning curve is not as acute as I want it to be. There have been a few pearls of wisdom I am appreciating reading in my own language.

My personal journey started on an old Honda VT 250 with oversized rear/smaller front sprockets. Next was a Honda CB-1 400cc bike. Now I am on a DRZ 400 SM although I did have a couple of years on a KTM 690 SMC. The DRZ is my choice now for sure and is a very popular one in many gymkhana clubs. If you are into supermotos they really are great... easy to ride and maintain, loads of used parts on the auction sites and take a crash very well with just axle sliders and handle bar crash protection.

Guys with more cash and far more talent are on Husqvarna SMR 450s if you are into supermotos.

If supermoto isn't your thing, I'd recommend something like an old late 80's or early 90's CBR 250 or 400 if you can find them. Many, many riders here use them as it is the kind of bike that can take you all the way to A class. They are very nimble and the engines are very, very tough... especially if you are anal about oil changes. The top guys here use 0w 50 or 10w 60 oil and change it after every other full day practice and before each race. I am not that hardcore but I am not at that level, either.

More than happy to answer whatever you throw at me. It was interesting to see Gymkhanaman mention a few top riders' names. I have met Shiga san and Tominaga san and have seen them ride... they truly defy gravity.
    Harvey Krumpet and MNimum like this.
  12. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 Years later, and the thread is still alive. Holly crap!!!

Moved from NYC to Florida, St. Pete.
    Anyone in this area interested in joining up for some Gymkhana action?
    Got myself a beat up EX500, 2006.
    Should be fun. :D

I'm scouting for fields now.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just saw your post and don't know where you are in Alabama but Bamarides is hosting a gymkhana in a couple weeks.

Link
    ohgood likes this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

Yup I'll be there. That's my very dirty drz on the flyer. :-) love that bike:-)
    klaviator likes this.
  15. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is going to be a good event!
    klaviator and ohgood like this.
  16. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good see you there. The wife and I will most likely be on our Tiger 800's with a friend hopefully joining on our Bonneville.
    ohgood likes this.
  17. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    For anyone in Central Alabama or anyone else for that matter.

THURSDAY NIGHT GP8 ARE BACK! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Where? Hoover Alabama.
    When? Starting THIS Thursday! June 1st 2017.
    Time? 6:00pm until?????

Map linky:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°21'22.3"N+86°50'49.7"W/@33.3561865,-86.8493387,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!1m2!10m1!1e1!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.356182!4d-86.84715

If you are coming down HWY 150 west bound, go past the Hoover Met intersection, and start looking for the Shell gas station on the right. Take the NEXT right at THIS sign;
    [​IMG]
    If you are going down HWY 150 east bound, start looking to your left after you go under the I-459 interchange. Turn left BEFORE the Shell station or turn left right after the Shell station, go about a 1/2 block and turn left into the old shopping mall.

Hopefully we can make this a regular Thursday night thang. :1drink
    klaviator and FenceJumper09 like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had a great gymkhana on Saturday. Quite a mix of bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MNimum likes this.
  19. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 2-Stroke was sweet. Wish i could have gotten a chance to talk to the guy but he left pretty quick! Great event put on by Bamarides!
    klaviator likes this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That 2-stoke was cool but you were going just as fast as he was on your much heavier bike. It was nice seeing you again. I can't wait until the next Gymkhana:happay
    FenceJumper09 likes this.