Gypsy by heart

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Elenore, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next I wanted to visit the Pyreneans - the mountain range between France and Spain. I stayed in a little village for the night, called La Grand Combe. The place was rotten, but the owner, a woman called Corinne was really nice and the price for one night was only 8 €, which was really cheap. When I bought a can of beer I had to pay 4 € and that was not cheap at all…:waysad<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

2. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was raining heavily all night and in the morning the weather was not better at all. So I had to pack my stuff while it rained. I was getting cold even before I started the day’s trip. Corinne told me in French, that the weather would be better at the Atlantic coast. So I decided to visit the Pyreneans an other time and speeded straight over them to reach the Atlantic coast and the hopefully good weather.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Corinne had told me something I couldn’t quite understand. She talked about something dangerous on top of the mountains I had to pass or so I understood … So what – I’m a careful driver!<o:p></o:p>
    I started in good spirits, eager not to let the weather influence my great mood and the feeling that I’m a real cool cookie riding my bike alone.<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

3. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ride in cold rain - and it was definitely too cold for that time of the year and the place, you feel helpless when the water soaks through and through. First my hands got wet, than the feet (my bike-mentor Horsti - he’s in this forum as well - always said: “Cross boots are always waterproof! Water which gets in - never gets out again!” He is right!!) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My cross helmet was getting wet at the cheek cushions, after that everything was getting cold. The wind was getting really bothersome, and there were more and more curves. Curves are actually nice, but not with oil and even petrol on the street - caused by several trucks using the same roads. The wind was getting stormy, and you never knew when the next blast would hit you. <o:p></o:p>
    I tried to convince myself: “Don’t worry it can’t get worse!” When I saw the first snow on the license plates of the trucks, I stopped telling myself that…<o:p></o:p>
    Up on Col Montmirat there was a closed layer of snow and ice. It was May! I was in the south of France!<o:p></o:p>
    I couldn’t believe it! :eek1<o:p></o:p>
    I don’t know how I did it, but I did manage to pass the snow and behind that Col, I took a hotel room, to have space to dry my stuff and get a hot shower.<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

4. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a trucker hotel, but the manager was nice and the room was pretty big - so there was enough space to dry all my wet clothes and luggage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I got into the shower - hot water! Ahhh…. wonderful!! I have long hair and if I shampoo it, I need warm/hot water to get the soap out again. When I wanted to rinse the shampoo off, there was suddenly no warm water anymore!<o:p></o:p>
    Only ice-cold water!!<o:p></o:p>
    So I got out of the shower, covered myself with a towel, and went down to the little hotelbar hoping to find the manager there where he had welcomed me on my arrival. The bar had been empty when I arrived with my bike – but not anymore when I reached the bar a second time, now with soap running down my face and shoulders and a not too big towel covering my otherwise naked body…<o:p></o:p>
    I had the feeling that the music stopped when I stepped into the little bar and I’m sure all conversation stopped instantly. There were round about 12 truckers, the manager and an almost naked German girl with soap in her eyes. :shog<o:p></o:p>
    Luckily the manager immediately knew what the problem was - so at least I didn’t have the trouble finding the right words in French to explain why I came to the bar half-naked.<o:p></o:p>
    He said, that there was a problem to get the water heated up, but he would fix it. He didn’t quite, but luke-warm water was sufficient to get the soap out of my hair…<o:p></o:p>
  5. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next morning I started off to the Atlantic coast. The little Village Moliet et Maa is wonderful, I knew it from several holidays before. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    When I rode down the small street into the village it rained. What an ugly welcome. I was soaked again, again everything was wet and I decided for a mobile home on my favorite Camping Place Saint Martin.<o:p></o:p>
    Luckily the little super market was open when I arrived. I bought a bottle of red wine and some cheese chips, where they listed as ingredients only numbers with an ‘E’ in front. Anyway the heater of the mobile home, the wine and the ‘Es’ gave me a cosy feeling with a good mood for the next days…<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

• 11a.jpg
      11a.jpg
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderfull place at the atlantic coast...

Attached Files:

7. LowInSlo

LowInSlo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Congrats on the ride and the strength. And the bar story - too funny!

Ride safe and well!
  8. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOOOOOO LA LA!:clap

Glad to see you're getting on with your life and having FUN! Enjoy the ride and be safe!:freaky
  9. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    Then trucker bar scene sounds like its right out of a movie.

How many languages do you know, or can at least understand enough to get by?
  10. letz4wheel

letz4wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I feel cheated :rofl:clap
  11. izzyblue

izzyblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Life is full of beauty, notice it. I was sad once too, but now I notice the bumble bees, the small children and smiling faces, the smell of rain and I feel the wind. I love someone deeply and he has shown me to live my life to the fullest potential and to fight for my dreams.....

Geniesen Sie ihre schone Reise und ich wunsche ihnen, das Sie alles sehen, als ob zum ersten Mal! Seien sie sicher

sorry my german is a little rusty!:

Prost!:1drink:1drink

~ Nancy
  12. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    For a second there, I thought you were talking about me. :shog

:lol3
  13. izzyblue

izzyblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :d
  14. Corbeau

Corbeau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR so far! Keep those pictures coming!
  15. acupuncture4u

acupuncture4u Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer:
    I like the bike!
  16. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Julia, those boyfriends, i tell ya.

Great ride report, thanks so much and waiting for more. I'm riding an 89 Transalp and digging your bike. Very cool. Cracked up looking at your license plate cause a month ago 2 German women traveling round the world, one on a 2006 alp, came through San Francisco and we had breakfast with another German friend of mine, Birgit. Birgit wrote a book about her moto racing, corporate burnout and returning to her love of riding. In the pic Birgit is on the right, the two trekkers are by their bikes, and here's a link to birgit's blog with more info a couple of posts down on the travelers and their blog. All my ancestors are German and it's Octoberfest time.....yay,

http://todrinkthewildair.com/

cheers

stephen

Attached Files:

17. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the nice answers!! I'm happy you like my report!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weather was getting better and I stayed a few days at my little paradise by the Atlantic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I rode all the green streets my Michelin map contained. A little Town called “Espelette” was beautiful. All the houses are red and white and they sell a real hot powder called “Piement des Espelette” to spice up your food. I love hot food!<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

• 10a.jpg
      10a.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a nice breakfast and planed where to go from Espelette.

Attached Files:

• 9a.jpg
      9a.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  19. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That region is still France, but real close to Spain. It’s the Basqueregion. Unfortunately better known by attacks of the terroristic organization “ETA”.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I’m a cop in Germany - and we have an organization which is called IPA (International Police Association) - I asked the Basque IPA if they could recommend places to visit. They gave me a telephone number to call, as soon I was in the region - so I called.<o:p></o:p>
    Female voice - let’s call her Juanita - answered. I don’t want to call her by her right name, because it can be dangerous being a police woman in the Basque county … Now please notice - we do have the same job, but we never met before! <o:p></o:p>
    She invited me to her home, she took 5 days off to show me her country! Such hospitality can not be measured!<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

• 14a.jpg
      14a.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Elenore

Elenore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics from St. Sebastian

Attached Files:

• 12a.jpg