H2H (Head 2 Hyder)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by djroszina, Nov 15, 2018.

1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings, I’ve been to Hyder, AK 3 times in the last couple decades and every time I stay a little longer. I personally believe it is a truely beautiful place on a deadend road. This coming year, 2019, I want to do an early fall ride (for that latitude) in mid August.

There are many riders who ride in and out of Hyder on their travels to and from Alaska. What I’ve noticed are many who rarely stop...it’s almost treated like a checkoff. While there is limited riding in the immediate area, there is enough for 1-2 days if wanting to explore Salmon Glacier and Silver Tip Cabin. The places to eat in Hyder are the Glacier Inn, The Seafood Bus, and the Sea Alaska possibly. There are limited accommodations in Hyder itself but, Stewart is right next to it with food and accommodations. For me personally, I plan on being there the 9th and10th of August and am wondering if others who are in the area would like to take some extra time to hangout, do some local riding, have some bites to eat, and maybe even have a small campfire. This is just a loose get together with no firm commitment, rules, or obligations.
  2. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the best place to camp in Hyder was out on the spit where the boat launch is located
    as breeze helps keeps the mosquitoes at bay
  3. djroszina

Oddometer:
    That may be. I also remember a fire pit out there, it’s what got me thinking of a campfire. I don’t know if there are sanitary facilities like porta-potties though.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Let know if there's any planning you need me to screw up :-)...or if you like, you can pay me to stay away.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's 3794 miles of a mix of interstate and back roads from my place in Flatistan to Hyder....Google ways I can be there if I drive/ride for 66 hours, 4 minutes, and 9 seconds....easy.
  6. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Too many distractions along the way. You could even hang out in Sturgis for the Black Hills Rally the first weekend and have more than enough time to get to Hyder. Also on the way in Missoula Montana they have Testicle Festival, Rocky Mountain Oysters are on the menus, around that time. (Protect your balls). I hear it’s a hit with women...men, not so much, lol
    Tewster2 likes this.
  7. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Although not the same dates, Hyderseek may be of interest.
    djroszina and Tewster2 like this.
  8. djroszina

Oddometer:
    ...clubs, associations, rally’s, memberships...a little too formal at least for me. I’m just putting out a date that other riders might want to hangout for whatever their desires are in the early fall.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The more informal the better for me
    djroszina likes this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hyder is my No. 1 bucket list! Maine to AK via Canada only. This should be a continuously updated thread.

So weather wise - when does it warm up and cool down and when are the skeeters worse?
  11. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I be been to Hyder in June and August. August the skeeters are not as bad as June. I was fogged out from seeing Salmon glacier in August, but in June it was spectacular. My plans are for heading up to Hyder after opening weekend of Sturgis this August.
    Oilhed likes this.
  12. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I have a loose itinerary for the 1st Annual H2H GTG (Get To Gether).

Evening of August 9th, dinner at the Seafood Bus. Drinks afterwards at the Glacier Inn with opportunity to get “Hyderized” for those intrested.

Saturday morning the 10th breakfast at the King Eddie Hotel in Stewart. Midday antics are bear watching, ride to Salmon Glacier and exploring area dirt and gravel roads.

Evening of the 10th will be campfire out on the spit (weather permitting). Alternate site is Camp Run A Muk Camp Ground on north end of town
    BYOB

Sunday morning the 11th breakfast at King Eddie.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Wish I could make it. Have a great time.
    djroszina likes this.
  14. djroszina

Oddometer:
    It would be a great break-in ride for that new Africa Twin...
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hyder is my bucket destination. Wish I could this year. Maybe before I turn 60!