H2W Jetting Matrix

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Head2Wind, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Ken may be editing it. There's a copy over on the HOW that you can look at until the "real" one comes back.
    http://www.ktm950.info/how/carbs/KTM 950 Jetting Matix.xls
  2. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    So I did the evapo-cano-ectomies and put on a set of Leo Vince pipes and the low end seemed weaker. Understandable with less back pressure. Before tearing into the carbs I thought I'd get a base line reading. Here it is. About 1500 miles on the clock and I'm running at and just below 5000' ASL. My dyno man knows carbs pretty well, races KTMs in dirt and supermoto. His recommends are one size larger on the pilot jet and one notch up on the needle.

Discuss?

[​IMG]
  3. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Fark! Has this thread just rolled over and died?

I pulled everything apart, checked the floats, raised the needles to 3rd clip and went to install #45 pilots but the local shop sold me the wrong size.:bash

Buttoned it back up with a half turn out added to the IAS (was at 1 1/4 & 1 1/2 stock :scratch). Bike runs FAR better in the low revs now, but still thinking I can maybe get a stronger low end with the 45 pilot. Haven't put it back on the dyno yet.

Anyone? Ideas, thoughts?
  4. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I tune for HP. I do it going up hill reading a Wideband. You cannot simulate this on a dyno. You cannot "load" the engine. Do not read to much into Dyno AFR's.

Correct AFR's can only be determined using a quality Wideband, such as a Bosch 6066. mounted correctly while being ridden on the street.

http://wbo2.com/

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    I thought dynos applied a measured resistance. And how do you know what AFRs your motor likes best without a corresponding power readout? Not being argumentative, I really don't know this stuff and am trying to learn. A logging AFR gauge on the dash sounds like the kittie's titties.
  6. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bosch tell us that maximum HP is developed at 13.1 : 1 so this is what you are looking for at WOT.

In the pilot circuit you are looking for throttle control - smooth transition. 11s, 12s.
    For cruse you want 14s, 15s,

Bikes that come of dynos run to rich, which means there is no enough load. They still work alright tho, Dinos are good for comparing things like headers etc. But not setting your final AFR's.
  7. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Fascinating stuff. So... How does load affect the AFR?

I hope you don't mind me hitting you up with so many questions, but it is apparent you were born with a lambda sensor in your brain.
  8. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Maybe the dyno operator could spend a bit more time and run partial throttle calibration whilst making sure it runs best at the settings we use most.

WOT is only good for WOT. Not that that is a bad thing. :lol3
  9. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Probably a stupid question... Do AFR data loggers track throttle position? That TPS has to be good for something.
  10. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Way....... You need a proper TPS for that.

But you would not want one as that is the cause of the throttle problems with 990's.
  11. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have cars with programmable management systems, I can data log through the computer, which logs air temp (Turbo), TPS, RPM Map, Boost or vacuum, AFR's etc. A lot of fun (Subaru). I even converted an R80gs to injection. (Stupid waste of time).

[​IMG][/IMG]
  12. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Bwahahahaha...R80gs...Thats so bad its cool.
  13. KTMDAD

KTMDAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to get my hands on some #100 idle air jets,does anyone have a source?
  14. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
    Just wan't to say thanks H2W!
    The change was just stunning - I really think this is spot on! My SE runs better than ever especially in midrange!
    Definetly best nod possible for the SE - if you ask me
    [​IMG]
    Now it looks like this: just LOVE it!
    [​IMG]
  15. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM, Their in your 950 parts book.
  16. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to get power out of an air head was, for me, a necessary path to travel. I just learnt so much along the way. Injecting bikes is a lot different from cars, throttle response to weight.
  17. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. Glad to be part of making another 950 run better!
    I really like those WINGS too. I have done a couple installs on other bikes with them and I really like the look/sound/quality. now just how to get past the US cost....

18. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
    Anyone else noticed any problems with running the prefilter in rainy conditions on a SE?

I have during a few longer rides in very rainy conditions noticed that the bike is not running smooth in low revs and starts "popping". I guess this is due to water "clogging" the prefilter and as such richening the mixture....?

I have seen this being mentioned somewhere previously but I could not find it now. Anyone figured out a fix? :ear
  19. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my 950 SMR back from the first service and upgrade to Akro's. H2W jets, pre-filter, SAS and Canister removal.
    the head dealer tech said it is the best running 950 he has ridden and will be using H2W kits on other 950's! It is all I can do to hang on to the bars. Day and night difference in performance. Great engineering.

20. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Is there any jetting differences for a 2into1 ?