1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

H2W Jetting Matrix

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Head2Wind, Oct 9, 2007.

1. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't change my jetting when I fitted a 2-to-1 pipe. Up to that point I'd spent quite some time fiddling with the "standard" H2W settings, finally arrived at a setup I liked. And fitting the 2-1 pipe just seemed to make it a bit nicer still, fatter in the mid range, but admittedly possibly a little weaker above 7k (which I hardly ever use anyway).
  2. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Spreadsheet link seems broken?
    ==============
    We're sorry.
    This spreadsheet is not published.

Find out more about this topic at the Google Docs Help Centre.
    ==============
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Here's the last version I was able to find in the Google cache:
    Jetting Matrix
  4. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Ta
  5. d.l.white

d.l.white Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a high learning curve here guys. What jet are the 40/80/100 ?

Thanks Guys

Dan
  6. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan these jets can be found in the "front" of the carb under the air filter.

They are "air leak" jets. The #40 controls the "leak" off the main jet.

The #80 leaks the pilot in combination with the #100 attached to the Air Cut Valve (ACV)

At least this is how I ran them in my previous set up when I ran CV carbs

The #80/#100 can for example be swapped around without affecting the drivability the pilot circuit has on the bike. That would effect the "decel pop"

So what is a Leak Jet?..... When you grab a hand full of throttle you get the full effect of a jet. A motor under load requires that.... to avoid a lean condition. As the motor "catches up" it no longer requires a full load of fuel as can be supplied by this jet so a air leak effects this "pull," created by the venturi on this fuel jet, This allows a "metered deterioration" of the fuel being supplied to the engine which is what the engine requires as it catches up to speed.

Fascinating things carburetors, huh:wink:
  7. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Pure magic, those gas factory's :D
  8. d.l.white

d.l.white Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K2m thanks for your help.
  9. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the famous H2W jet kit, prefilter, FMF's, and it ran great. When I went to the Neduro 2-1 ( and his awesome tank) I had better low to mid range and driveability improved. The bike (06adv) developed a slight lean hiccup just off idle. I turned the idle screws out 1/4 turn and it is pretty good now. Slightly rich as I go up in altitude ( from 300' to 2500') and I get an intermittant low throttle stumble at slight throttle openings but this is climbing at altitude only. I am probably slightly too rich but it is close. I think the 2-1 scavenges better as it leaned out my set up but it is seat of the pants. As usual YMMV.
  10. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im currently replacing the 950 motor on my SE -06 with a 2009 SD 990-R motor but I will keep the oem 43 mm carbs (new diaphragms) and the aftermarket silencers with inserts.

Since the intakes diam are 10 mm larger than on the 950, I'll make nozzles that will lift the carbs some 50 mm = 2". The airbox goes to the garbage bin and be replaced by K&N washable filters.

I know some inmates have spent plenty time with jetting and other carb adjustments for the 950 as found in the "jetting matrix". My question is if somebody has any feel what jetting to begin with for the SD 990-R (130 hp with FI). For sure plenty rejettings still becomes necessary but a guesstimate whereabout to begin would help a lot.

Stock 950 SE (from the "jetting matrix"):
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 384pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=511><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 42pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2048" width=56><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" span=2 width=63><COL style="WIDTH: 37pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1792" width=49><COL style="WIDTH: 32pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1536" width=42><COL style="WIDTH: 42pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2048" span=3 width=56><COL style="WIDTH: 53pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2560" width=70><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=17 width=56>Elevation</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl68 width=63>MJ(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=63>MJ(R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 37pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=49>LJ(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 32pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=42>LJ(R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=56>IMS(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=56>IMS(R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=56>MAJ(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 53pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=70>MAJ(R)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=17 width=56 align=right>0</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=63>155/158</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=63>160/162</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 37pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=49 align=right>42</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 32pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=42 align=right>42</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=56 align=right>2,25</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=56 align=right>2,25</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=56 align=right>40</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 53pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=70 align=right>40</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 295pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=392><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" width=63><COL style="WIDTH: 53pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2560" width=70><COL style="WIDTH: 37pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1792" width=49><COL style="WIDTH: 32pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1536" width=42><COL style="WIDTH: 42pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2048" span=3 width=56><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 47pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=17 width=63>ACVJ(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 53pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=70>ACVJ(R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 37pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=49>IAJ(F)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 32pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=42>IAJ(R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=56>Clip</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=56>Float</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=56>Needle</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 47pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 height=17 width=63 align=right>80</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 53pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 width=70 align=right>80</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 37pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 width=49 align=right>50</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 32pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 width=42 align=right>50</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 width=56 align=right>2,5</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl68 width=56>.120"/3mm</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl67 width=56>Keihin</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 252pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=336><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 105pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5120" width=140><COL style="WIDTH: 147pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7168" width=196><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 105pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=17 width=140>AirFilter</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 147pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=196>Exhaust</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 105pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=17 width=140>Paper</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; WIDTH: 147pt; BORDER-TOP: black; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=196>Cat with multi chamber damper</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

Why don't you just make 5mm thick annular flanges to mate the carbs on the intakes?
  12. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a pair of FCR"s with the correct sized "screw in" (forward) manifold adapter.
  13. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the jetting matrix in a pdf file or Msft Works spreadsheet format for those of us that don't have EXCEL?
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could download Openoffice. Its excellent, totally free of charge and compatible with microsoft office.
  15. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hint on Openoffice -- I'll give it a try.
  16. jwdub

Oddometer:
    OOPS! Openoffice files are 147MB!! No can do with dial-up.
  17. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    ken:
    Is this still around? I cant seem to get it to load up anway i try it. Hekp
    matt
  18. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Bumping this since its a good thread.

2-1 pipe, LeoVince SBK with no insert
    K&N type air filter
    fuel screw 1.5 turns out
    45 pilot jets
    155 front MJ
    160 rear MJ
    Clip in 3rd slot in needle, no washers underneath

Problems:
    1) Need to give it a little throttle when starting, even with choke on. Hot and cold.
    2) Guys behind me say it smells like a 70's muscle car.
    3) Feels flat on top.

Suggestions?
    I was thinking of going to 1.75 turns out on the fuel screw, and to lower the needle a 1/2 clip with a washer. And to bump both main jets up to the next size.
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    BTW, the XLS file can be found here.
  20. Uneasy Rider

Uneasy Rider The life of Riley

Oddometer:
    The 70's muscle car smell makes me think you are running a bit rich. I don't think I'd want to go any richer by increasing the size of your mains & turning out your fuel screws.

Have you verified that your carbs are in synch? This can cause some hard starting & poor idling.

What is your float height set at? These bikes seem to be very sensitive to proper float height.

Is that K&N clean? Dirty filter = hard starting, rich running, plug fouling etc...

Just some things I'd be checking......