1. eNewsletter Sign Up

H4 LED by Evitek F2 has achived the same focus as H4 halogen bulb - new 2018

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Mar 6, 2018.

1. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ChopperCharles, please define "projector bulb". Are you referring to a DE setup? Bulb and reflector?
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charles. I guess I'm a bit behind the times with my terminology. Worked the deal for new truck to include JW Speaker versions of those; they're over $200 each at the dealer. If your bike takes a standard size headlamp, these are a good option: no futzing with bulb position within the reflector, just adjust and ride. Those of us with swoopy styling and/or non standard lights are back to bulb relacement (and futzing,...)
  4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I found a website that compares the JW speaker to the sunpie and the JW was better... but only by a few percent. Dollar per lumen the sunpie was the ticket. They were comparing the 7”, but I found the 5.75” to be just as exceptional. I’m now planning to upgrade all of my motorcycle headlamps to either 5.75 or 7” housings that will accommodate these lamps.

When the reflector is the limiting factor, that’s what’s got to happen anyways. I can’t swap out the reflector in my SCR950 to make a better beam pattern, because it’s a strange proprietary size. If I want my e1 or f2 bulb to actually put light on the road, I’ve got to replace the whole assembly with one that has a good reflector design. And if I’m going to do that... upgrading to one of these is a better option.

Charles.
  5. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As with helmets, DoT is a joke. Their headlight reg's date from the '30s and still don't require the sort of photometrics mandated in Europe since the '60s. Throw out DoT headlights and replace them with such as you found. Everyone else on the road (well at least those few who are paying attention) will thank you for not blinding them with the scatter DoTs still allow.
    Alexander B likes this.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It is a day maker clone. It’s cheap and it works exceptionally well. I checked my eBay and Amazon, and this is the actual item I ordered and am happy with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018LXCV4U

Charles.
  8. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    If you have a bad reflector housing then no bulb will fix it. I have the same problem with my jeep (cj7). It had Zbeams which were great 40 years ago, but now they are toast (old-grey). The few replacements housings that I have gotten for it are junk. I keep looking for a good 7 inch round European style reflector. The projector beams that you got maybe a good option. I was waiting for a low cost one that ran at 45 watts each on low beam, because projectors are not very efficient. Charles how much current does one of yours draw? what is the link to the web site that compared your light....
    What I am looking for is a real good low beam pattern......
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    30 watt low beam and 45 watt high beam. And the light is amazeballs. I don't remember, I bought the bulb in January after reading a bunch about them, but I didn't get around to installing it until recently. I was trying to retro-fit it to my SCR950, because that bike has the absolute worst reflector of any bike or car I've ever owned in my life. And I've owned a Geo and a Taurus and even an 80s Voyager minivan. 2017 SCR950 has the Worst. Headlight. Ever.

I can google or you can google. Actually you can google, I'm going to the gym.

:)

Charles.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Wow I went googling after all and couldn’t find anyone with much good to say about the sunpie brand or the generic Chinese lights.

All I can say is it’s a night and day difference between a good h4 replacement bulb in a bad reflector, and a generic Chinese 5.75” led projector.

My SSR Buccaneer has a decent reflector for halogen, but it’s small and didn’t work spectacularly with the evitek bulb. It was adequate, but not good.

The Yamaha SCR950 has a terrible reflector that no bulb can fix. The pattern is extremely diffuse with no discernible cutoff. Light just disappears. I’ll do a comparison with evitek bulbs in good reflectors against this sunpie pretty soon.

Charles.
  11. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Say, you wouldn't mind going for a nightride and bring a camera sometime? :lol3
    Those ebay pics can never be trusted imo.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I haven’t gotten a night ride with a camera in yet, but here are the beam patterns for the sunpie.

Low:

71E6C905-A552-4DFC-982F-E9481FEC07F9.jpeg

High:

2F23CA1D-EE4D-47F2-9317-D062053D1D9A.jpeg

Charles.
    spiderman302, Anders- and 16VGTIDave like this.
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures from the end of my street with the Sunpie.

Low beam:
    E1A70FA1-219D-4AB5-983B-19AC764312F8.jpeg

High beam:
    5EDF331E-001E-4769-8A44-38507F35606F.jpeg

Note that the high beam comes on in addition to the low beam. Both beams are on in the second photo.

Charles.
    Anders- likes this.
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that looks like good lighting to me.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The high beam isn’t as powerful as some, but the low beam pattern is what I need to see. The super sharp cutoff means I’m not blinded by my own headlight reflecting off of street signs either. JW Speakers or the Denali light are probably better. But... $400 better? I might spend that kind of dime on a Kerker, but not on a headlight.

This cost me about the same as a pair of F2 bulbs, between the headlight bucket and the LED itself. and this works better for my application. I need to put the f2 back in the good reflector on my cx500 and take it for a spin to compare. My gut says the f2 has a better high beam... IN THAT REFLECTOR. but it’s going to be hard for any reflector to have such a sharp cutoff.

Charles.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Basically I’ve come to realize, If you’re having trouble actually seeing in the dark with the stock H4, no drop in LED bulb is going to fix that problem, because it’s a poorly designed reflector at fault.

If you can already see well with the h4, an LED bulb is going to improve on it drastically.

If you’ve got a shitty reflector, often you’re completely SOL. With many bikes the headlight is proprietary and custom. There is also no guarantee any aftermarket headlight reflector is going to be any better than stock. You might get lucky, you might not. This is especially true for 5.75” headlights. So in that case, I’m thinking you’re better off with a cheap Chinese LED projector. The low beam pattern is excellent and the beam is very bright. I can see it at dusk clearly, which I could never do with the f2 and e1 bulbs in all but one stock reflector.

Also check this out. Out of all the bikes I own, the only one with an excellent stock reflector is a VTX1800. The only other good reflector on all my bikes was an aftermarket replacement for an 83 Magna headlight, purchased from newmotorcycleparts.com

Charles.
  17. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    An overly sharp cutoff might look "nice", but is probably not the best option, especially for motorcycles. The human eye and brain, as a result of evolution, is very good at finding patterns, contrasts and movng light/shadow effects. That made us good at finding enemies and dangers in the dark.

However, as a consequence, our gaze "wanders", and in dark surroundings, we tend to focus on contrasts, motion and patterns. This means when on a bike, where the light moves as the bike moves, keeping a steady, focused eye on the road can be tough and tiring. With "hard", high contrast lights (like super white LED) and sharp cutoff, matters can become even harder.

Also, on a bike, we REALLY want some smooth transition light and scattered output, to send some light on road sections otherwise unlit, as we turn, lean, brake, accelerate etc. Please check the "warning" youtube videos for LED equipped MT09, where you get virtually ZERO light on the road you enter in some intersections!
  18. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    DOT does not require a hard cut off. In fact the glare region allows 1000 cd and just above it 700 cd. indicating that some light can spill above the bright line. This is actually a left over from the incandescent days, but was left in since it allows for headlights (like those based on 9006 bulbs) that beam shapes with out the Graves shield. This will give a softer transition and allow you to see into the darkness.....
  19. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not my experience. The stock on my bike is horrible and led to some truly frightening night riding. With an LED I could see much better, and critically, I could see the road markings even when blinded by oncoming cars. It's a shitty reflector, but the light is tolerable now and this is an older generation LED. As noted with the older LEDs, putting a 20gauge shim on the upper part of the mount locates the LED more properly in the reflector - this made a huge difference. I'd encourage people to make the transition.
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Tolerable is different from good. The Sunpie is very, very good. It may not be JW Speaker good, but it's better than any of the bulbs I've tried (Evitek E1 and F2, ADVMonster Native and H4R2) in the SCR950's reflector. Yes, the E1 or F2 bulbs are tolerable in that reflector, but that's a far cry from good. I think the Sunpie is good. The JW Speaker (or Daymaker or Denali) may be better, but they're also $300-$400.

In any case, the Sunpie will give better light than one of the LED bulbs in a bad reflector.

As for the hard cutoff... yes, it does limit sight distance when going fast at night. But less than the stock reflector with a stock halogen or the E1 bulb did. There's still far more light available, especially to the sides. So it's still a win.

Charles.