H4 LED by Evitek F2 has achived the same focus as H4 halogen bulb - new 2018

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    For my night riding I need the traditional D.O.T. spec light pattern. The one without the sharp cut off. Anyone know of any L.E.D.'s out there do that ?
  2. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    yes, headlights that do not use the H4 bulb or projectors. The beam pattern is dependent on the design of the reflector/lens. see post #4, the F2 bulb in the other flavors will give you a better pattern, since it has the same focus of a halogen bulb.

the F2 9006 in truck my gives me a very nice sharp DOT low pattern. the 9005 high beam still has the XHP50 bulb that makes a crappy fuzzy high beam, soon to be replaced with a F2.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    The shield in current H4 bulbs puts the sharp cut off in my projection pattern. My stash of non shield H4 is used up. Unless someone makes a LED that shines like that my only option is gonna be halogen 6024 sealed beams. To bulky to carry a spare.
  4. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Look closely at the F2 H4 bulb. the shield clip is held on with a single tiny torx screw. I removed it to cut off the top to make the picture in post #9. The F2 is the best on road light. If you are looking for something for off road, the lesser focused bulbs would be better since they make a broader beam... one light may not fit all applications.....
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    was this thru spiderman302's Cindy Z contact or somewhere else ?
  6. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I bought via Amazon.ca as it was the least expensive, and quickest shipping option for me.

I'm in Canada, so I have to be careful when shopping online. Shipping costs and times are often ridiculous. Import tariffs, service fees, and taxes can also be exorbitant if the parcel is inspected. No stores around here have these lights in stock, never mind at a reasonable price. I've seen these lights being sold on Amazon with different branding and packaging for twice the price I paid. It pays to be a savvy shopper!
  7. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    To re-address Mudds issue with "light above cut off". One has to realize that the F2 bulb emits 5 times as much light as the original halogen bulb. So the sharp cut off is more necessary to protect the eyes of on coming riders/drivers, which is what DOT compliance is all about.

If you used a bright led bulb in a system with a soft DOT cut off there might be too much stray light that might exceed the DOT glare requirements so that you should NOT use it on road. Which is what the previous "out of focus" leds bulbs [non H4] were doing and many complained about. For dual sport mode I would use the F2's in my headlight for on road lighting and add aux lights for the extra off road lighting. The options here are many.... If you are off road only, these rules do not apply.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks.
    Looks like i'll be sticking with my DOT H-4 halogen until the aftermarket comes up with a equal for equal LCL and luminous intensity LED drop in. Well at least as long as my last non shielded H-4 bulb lasts. If they don't have anything by then... H 6024 sealed beam will have to do.
  9. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "Non shielded H4 bulb"?
    H4 by design has the shield beneath the dipped beam filament in order to direct the light from that filament upwards into the reflector so that it shines downwards at the road. (or stop the light from shining downward into the reflector to stop it shining upwards at oncoming traffic).
    A sealed beam headlight (a-la 1960's) will be far inferior light output to a modern H4 capsule bulb in a complex reflector unit.
    You're not thinking of the Cup inside more modern reflector units that shields the bulb capsule end when it's in place in the reflector are you? These cups help stop 'hotspots' of light in the projected beam to even out the light spread, they are only fitted where the design requires it. You can get reflectors without them but in my experience, the modern complex reflector units with clear front glass/polycarbonate lenses are far superior to the older versions where the reflector was smooth and the lens was freznelled.
    I have these WIPAC SVX 7" reflectors on my Caterham and they are the best lights I've ever had.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIPAC-SV...s-Bezel-Rims-LandRover-Defender-/231362678852
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I mean a H4 halogen bulb from 1982 without that tin shield inside the glass capsule that makes the horizontal cut off you see in ECE European style light projection patterns.

Over here beside H4 base Halogens we also have sealed beam halogens.
    This one is a 7 inch H 6024 sealed beam. The black dot you see in the center, that's the end of the halogen capsule.
    [​IMG]

These baby's throw light a lot farther forward than the 1962 sealed beams. But then those 1960's ones ones weren't halogen bulb within a bulb like these. The horizontal cut off on is a soft transition. Those and these don't glare or blind oncoming traffic. They also softly spill some light to the right and a little up on the right to read un lighted signs better. The crappy part of these sealed beam halogens is the Halogen bulb inside is not replaceable when it burns out.

ECE cut off is fantastic in the city but out on bumpy roads and in the country and on the trail that bouncing light horizon of ECE lights leaves a lot to be desired. Beside being an annoying distraction it makes you work alot harder to not miss anything between the light/dark bounce which is dangerous. It also makes some people nauseous and can cause flicker vertigo.

The work around is either slap on a set of aux light lights like everybody with ECE lighting does now or find some old 1980's-1990's DOT H4 head lights.
    Hard to do as they were spendy then and even more scarce now. Bosch 7 inch round are really really good, meet DOT standards for Motorcycles and are easy to find new for under $50. But then were back to looking for non cut off shield H4 light bulbs they haven't made for decades.
  11. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I now understand, you were confusing me. The sealed beam that you refer to does not have an H4 bulb since there is no shield and both filaments are near the focus point. The euro H4 bulb with the ECE lights make a hard cut off. However the 9003 (H4) DOT head light makes a slightly softer cut off. But what you want is the un-shielded DOT beam that is created by the 9004 and the better 9007 lamps. So you were looking in the wrong place. There are replacement DOT light housing that uses the 9007 bulb that may fit your bike. Do not use the 9007 or 9004 in a H4 headlamp, the optics are totally different. You can get the F2 in a 9007. Let us know how it works out for you.....

The 9007 is the dual filament version of the 9006/9005 bulbs.

what bike do you have?
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    No, halogen sealed beams don't take H4 bulbs. They have non replaceable Halogen capsules inside.

O.k. so the 7 inch DOT H4 halogen headlight in one of my bikes is a Bosh 0 301 600 118. It takes replaceable H4 base bulbs. It's DOT M76 MOTORCYCLE.

Projection pattern wise the only difference I could see between it and the vintage DOT H4's in the vintage Dodge I don't own own anymore were the Vintage H4's low beam hot spot was angled from the high beam to aim a little further down the road ( I should have kept those ) and my Bosch's Lo beams are angled from the high beam to aim a little closer. I dunno, I guess Ill call that beam separation angle.

So 9007 and 9004 are non shielded like the old non shielded DOT H4 bulbs right ? They fit in H4 receptacles ?

Now here's where it all gets me more confused:

"the un-shielded DOT beam that is created by the 9004 and the better 9007 lamps." and "Do not use the 9007 or 9004 in a H4 headlamp"

" the F2 bulb emits 5 times as much light as the original halogen bulb. So the sharp cut off is more necessary to protect the eyes of on coming riders/drivers, which is what DOT compliance is all about. If you used a bright led bulb in a system with a soft DOT cut off there might be too much stray light that might exceed the DOT glare requirements so that you should NOT use it on road." and "You can get the F2 in a 9007. Let us know how it works out for you"

The F2 bulb putting out 5 times as much light probably isn't going to play well with my DOT H4 head light. Even if it did play well I'm not interested at that brightness level. If it did play well with my DOT M76 MOTORCYCLE H4 head light and put out the same illumination as a plain old non shielded 60 watt H4 halogen bulb then I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Because it would do what I need and use way less watts doing it. I could finally run heated socks and gloves with the extra watts freed up from lighting duty instead of wishing for a time machine so I could go scarf up all the old school light bulbs..

"There are replacement DOT light housing that uses the 9007 bulb that may fit your bike."
    This sounds like the mother of all work arounds. Any body got links to these?

Bonus points for links to a standard (60 watt H4) brightness LED that works right in it.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  14. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    the 9007 will not fit in a H4 lamp it uses a different base. the low beam filaments are in different locations....

you have two options.
    change your head light to one that is designed for the 9007 and get that bulb

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/7-...MI64vQxZX12QIVTYJ-Ch0pVgUQEAQYAiABEgLVpfD_BwE

notice that the description says 9007..... The DRL's would be a bonus, this fits what you are looking for..... I can not vouch for the beam pattern.

or

stay with the H4 lamp and try the newer bulb. --- you might be surprised that the extra light will fill in what you are missing.
    You could go back to the T8 or if you could find one, the G6 bulb as they are less focused so they spread the light out more.

you could adjust the wings down on the G6 or even the F2 to add more light over the cut off....

on another note....

We some how think that 5 times more light might be too much, it is not. our vision has a dynamic range of 1,000 and our eyes adjust over a range of 1,000,000. Look at all the headlights of on coming traffic. The rootbeer colored light are halogen and the white ones are either leds or hids. If they are properly aimed the only thing you notice is the difference in color and that the white ones only look a little brighter...
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The description mentions that, but H4/9003/HB2 Hi/Lo is a buying option on the link I posted.
  16. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
    My 2007 Yamaha XJR1300 headlight has no shield fitted inside the reflector housing, takes a standard H4 capsule bulb so would work well with the Evitek F2 H4 Led replacement.(I currently have a PIAA plasma yellow bulb fitted which I quite like)
    It does have an E11 beam pattern (ie a step up to the left for here in the UK) but I would expect a similar item to be available for use in left hand drive countries where a step up to the right would be required.
    Like this https://exabike.com/optique+de+phare+nue-Yamaha-XJR+1300+(5EA)-165425.htm
    This Cibie H4 unit doesn't appear to have a shield fitted in it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q153ATPK3B8CN1N72874
    Nor does this unit
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuin...ash=item3f65646a19:g:iKAAAOxyjfZR6XXW&vxp=mtr
  17. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using the Cibie e-code headlight for twenty years. They do not have a shield but had the very sharp cutoff of the standard e beams
    Uke likes this.
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The shields that are being referring to has nothing to do with the cut off.
    I bought my first Cibie e-code light 45 years ago and used it on three different vehicles over the years.
    The H4 bulb has a small frying pan under the low beam filament inside the bulb which creates the cut off in the low beam pattern.
    The top of the bulb has a black cap that blocks the direct view of the intense filament which makes the need for a third "shield" in the light housing unnecessary.
    But some housings added the third shield to reduce stray light that created close in glare for the rider.

twinrider -- your first link looks like the F2 bulb, you can get it from the OEM [Evitek]. Do not be confused by our 9007 discussion, it was to answer the curiosity of one rider. You are way better off with the H4 bulb in a H4 housing. But this is just my opinion...

This new F2 bulb from Evitek is revolutionary. The LEDs are the correct size and shape and at the focus point. HIDs were a failure because the arc was too fat and curved. LED COBs were a fail because they were too big and too far from the focus point. Smaller LEDs were better but they were not at the focus point because of a thick heat spreader. With all the preceding fails to be DOT compliant, there is a lot of doubt that it could ever be done. I think we are witnessing a change in the paradigm....... time for popcorn.... These are too new and have not gone though all the legal hoops yet.

Remember, the Cibie Z beam when it came out was not legal. Halogen bulbs were too bright! It took years before we got out of the pre-halogen era......
  19. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
    My F2 leds came on Saturday, I fitted them into my WIPAC SVT reflectors last night.
    With the units in the correct orientation matching a standard H4 bulb (there is a ball bearing detent that sits in holes in the three pronged mount, not infinitely variable but preset at fixed intervals) , I get good high beam spots and correct kick up to the left like it should be for the UK.
    I have an MoT test (yearly vehicle inspection) booked for tomorrow at noon, will see if they pass muster then.
  20. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Awesome. They made the left / right twist adjustable so you can dial it in for your headlight and which ever side of the road you drive on. But here in the USA the twist is "removed" and the beam is adjusted flat in motorcycle H4 headlights.... If there is a kick up it is created by the mirror/lens elements....
    randypower likes this.