H4 LED by Evitek F2 has achived the same focus as H4 halogen bulb - new 2018

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it passed it's test, but let's say the inspector was a bit liberal with his interpretation of 'test'
    He checked all the lights were working but that's about it, no beam test.
    Good for me, bad for the rest of you.
  2. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    It may be that the inspector has seen a lot of the modern vehicles with HIDs and LEDs that the extra light is not such a surprise....
  3. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I just got my F2 9005 high beams and replaced the XHP50 leds that I had in my truck. Sooo much better!
    no more fluffy light, a nice focused beam... It was raining out, so I made a quick swap. I will take pictures another day......
  4. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    ok took some quick hand held pictures at 8 feet with a DRZ headlight, so that you can see the H4 beam patterns, so that you can make you own choice....

low beam --- in this order ---- Halogen ---- F2 ----- XHP50 (7000)

Halogen.jpg F2_low.jpg XHP50_low.jpg

What is hard to see in the 7000 picture is the dark horizontal line in the center of the beam.
    the F2 is 5 times brighter than the Halogen and the 7000 is only 3.5 times brighter....

this is the low beam which is suppose to have a cut off for street use....
    what really impressed me is when you switch on the high beam... wow....

the real crux is that with the 7000 because of the fuzzy cut off you end up pointing the the beam lower so the bright spot is in the dirt.. with the F2, with the sharp cut off the bright spot is right on the horizontal line (of the cut off) putting maximum light where you want it down the road..... gee just like the H4 halogen pattern..

over 4 years ago I was told that you can not put a LED in a halogen headlight, and they are still telling me that. I knew it could be done and here it is......
  5. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is amazing how similar the F2 and halogen patterns are. Thanks again for all your effort in getting this information out to the rest of us.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Please point it just below the horizon, thank you.
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'd be interested to see if the results stayed the same with different bulb configurations.
    new2adv likes this.
  8. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    "Please point it just below the horizon, thank you." ------------- Yes! This is very, very important!

What I meant to say is:

with the F2, with the sharp cut off the bright spot is right on the horizontal line (of the cut off) putting maximum light where you want it down the road...

Thank you for the correction!

I can only do so much... It would be nice to get beam comparisons from other bikes, please just compare high and low to the original halogen bulb on a wall.....
  9. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    So I said that the F2 in the 9006/9005 in my truck made a much sharper pattern. To my surprise I discovered that my right high beam was pointing to the sky and to the left. I did not notice this with the XHP50s with their broader pattern. (I rarely use the high beams) My truck is 18 years old with 170K miles. The original GM dual light housing had twisted throwing off the beam. So I ordered some replacements. In testing the beams I took a few pictures to compare. They are hand held at about 8 feet.

LOW 9006 ----- Halogen, ---- F2, then HIGH 9005 ----- Halogen, ---- F2 -----

1Halogen_9006_lowA.jpg 2F2_9006_lowA.jpg
    4Halogen_9005_hiA.jpg 5F2_9005_hAi.jpg

The OEM DOT pattern has the strong spot in the middle. These are from the good left side housing.....
    slime likes this.
  10. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The F2 uses the new Cree XD16 led. It is a clever flip chip that makes a direct connection between the heat slug and the heatsink significantly helping keep the die cooler at a higher power level than previous designs. This chip is key to the success of this bulb as is what sets it apart from the others before it. Thank you Cree! The smaller die is what also improves focus. Why is tighter focus important? If you double the power you will only see 50% further, If you cut the beam angle in half (at the same power level) you will see twice as far...
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  11. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Evitek makes the F2 and the T8 bulb. The T8 proceeded the F2.

T8 25 watts, 4000 lm, 175 mills > less focus, taller beam. power converter in the heat sink, no module in the cable. Light pattern is close to the original halogen bulb......

F2 30 watts, 5000 lm, 090 mills > more focus, thinner beam. power converter in the cable. Light pattern same as original halogen bulb.
    M1 25 watts, 4500 lm, 090 mills > more focus, thinner beam. power converter in the heatsink. Light pattern same as original halogen bulb.

These H4 bulbs create a DOT compliant beam pattern, but fail because they use half the power, and produce more light....... they are the same or slightly better than HIDs.....

If you read the DOT specification for the H4 halogen bulb, it is a manufacturing QA spec that insures that halogen bulbs produced by different manufactures are identical in every way... However the DOT H4 spec has errors and omissions and was written in a way to obscure it's simplicity. If you look carefully at a H4 bulb you will find what is missing.... This bulb has attributes that are hidden in plain sight and is why a lot of so called experts think it is so complicated....

A new DOT spec needs to be written and the M1 LED should be the mold around which it should be made. The tolerances should allow that the T8, F2 should be acceptable. I hope we do not have to wait 21 years like we did for the H4 to become the 9003....
  12. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your work. I'm keen to get a new bulb, but to be honest am a bit overloaded with all this info...

Just three questions

1. Is contacting Cindy the only way to get it right now?
    2. Sounds like it can be adjusted for riding on left or right side of the road... Is that the case? I'm in Australia and we drive on the left
    3. Will it work fine for a standard modern dirt bike headlight? I ride a husky fe350 if that makes any difference

Thanks again
    slime likes this.
  13. spiderman302

Oddometer:
  14. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please forgive my ignorance. My KTM takes 2 x H11 bulbs.

Are these Evitek F2 bulbs in an H11 format the same huge improvement that the H4 bulbs are for a bike that takes those?
  15. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    my co-workers KTM uses a H4.... since the fe350 is similiar but uses the Ba20 bulb, I thought I would make a reference for an possible upgrade solution....

Yes, go back to post number 4 and you will see the other current offerings. The H11 is and option. I put the 9006/9005 versions into my truck, the improvement in focus made a big difference....

Now I was hoping that those of you who get the other types of bulbs on other bikes would take pictures of the halogen bulb low beam vs the F2 low beam on a wall.
    Please post those photos here with the details so that you can help others too....
    flinders_72 likes this.
  16. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Looks like they now have a new bulb. The M1 which has the focus of the F2. It is made like the T8. These bulbs have the power converter built into the heatsink. So there is no PS box in the cable like the F2.
    The fan is replaceable.... better end cap. slightly lower power. more choices.......
  17. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    A lot of the Amazon vendors do not ship to Australia.
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Go back to post #10 and the first link is to the OEM, Evitek. Scroll to the bottom and there is a direct link to Cindy in Hong Kong.
  19. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    If you want to see the M1 bulb go to the referenced link above and then click on "product categories" then find "mini led headlight" in the list. They only show the H4, H7, and list H11, H15. But I was able to order a 9006 (not yet listed) from Cindy....

The M1 is a simple plug and play bulb, no worry about getting the left/right twist wrong, something that you have to pay attention to with the F2 bulb.
  20. alternety

alternety n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the M1 can deal with daytime running light mode?

I want to put a pair in my wife's CR-V. But this site seems to have a lot of experience with these bulbs.