H4 LED by Evitek F2 has achived the same focus as H4 halogen bulb - new 2018

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Mar 6, 2018.

1. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    "The light output slowly cycles from daylight white to quite blue over a few minute interval, and repeats. Did I get a defective unit?"

Yes.
  2. georgesgiralt

georgesgiralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello !
    I got my couple of H4 F2 from Evitek Saturday morning. Stuffed in a plain card box without any paper nor information.
    Only had them installed yesterday morning and I've trouble getting the low beam cutoff on my R65 BMW (same headlight diameter as a /5 but H4 native).
    No matter how I turn the bulb into it's support, the light pattern is not good.
    So I'm seeking for advice here.
    BTW, I did not remove the center metallic gizmo that cuts the light from non black tipped H4 in standard H4 headlight. Should I ?
  3. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The easiest way is that the wire on the back of the fan should be on the bottom (down). The leds should be pointing left and right (horizontal) and the low beam shields should also be on the bottom blocking light from getting into the bottom side of the light.
    The internal glare shield should not affect the beam pattern. So you should not need to remove it unless it is damaged....
    beemer chuck likes this.
  4. georgesgiralt

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I've reverted to plain H4 this morning (early, still night) in order to relieve the other road users....
    I'll give it a go this evening !
    But they should/could/would put a paper or instructions into the box and/or their website...
    Have a bright day (pun intended)
  5. georgesgiralt

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    So I've followed your advice and, effectively, the beam is more focused and seems to be cut at the right angle and pattern. But it seems to be a little low in it's aim. Some test in the neighborhood tonight...
    Thanks for the help
  6. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Fits well in the 690E headlight bucket.
    Nice light pattern (both low and high beam), similar to that of the halogen bulb.
  7. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have put multiple sets of the single beam H11 / H8 / H9 style F2's in multiple bikes and trucks and have been quite happy with the results; would I be making a safe assumption that the dual beam H13 style F2 would give the same results in beam pattern etc. ?
  8. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I’m riding around the world and have seen your advice implemented countless times in Africa, C&S America, etc. I have no idea what the studies show, just the data of the bodies and wrecks I’ve seen.
    Ymmv. Just don’t needlessly endanger others.
  9. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Days are getting shorter, in two weeks we will fall back and I am actually looking forward to riding home in darkness during the winter months. The F2 H4 leds in my ST1300 will cut through this darkness. They work extremely well in the ST1300 headlight with its flat wide beam pattern. It really lights up the road evenly as well as the sides of the road on low beam with very little glare to on coming traffic. The F2 high beam will punch almost a mile down a dark road. It is amazing that small details make a big difference in the performance of lighting. I do have some aux lighting on my bike but I find that they are now unnecessary. If you are thinking of upgrading your lighting the F2 H4 LED is currently the one to get. IMHO.....
    twotyred and Uke like this.
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the one I bought was $8

its fine on my DR650 at night ( I did have to adjust the tilt of the headlight housing)
    Im not running the baja 1000 at 90MPH at night, im driving around town ( yes even on the highway)

so yeah its been flawless for my purposes.

I am not concerned about the F2 out preforming this $8 electron saver at this point in time.

( I cant fit that heatsink/cooling thing on the F2 n the housing on either of my bikes I dont think either, so its not really an option anyway)
  11. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I only got one F2 ”bulb”, but even if there were two I find it difficult to believe punching light almost a mile down the road - are those reflectors on the st1300 producing a superfocused highbeam?
    On my bike the highbeam reach about as far as with the halogen bulb, sure it lits up road markings and signs a little better, not really lighting up the actual road surface any further ahead though.
    (Got 90W of aux led to help with getting more light out in front as well as to provide illumination on the sides)
  12. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The St1300 does have two F2 bulbs, and has a knob on the dash to fine adjust the height of the beam to the horizon. The first time I used the F2 high beam I was surprised how far it reached. So I went out to a back farm road and measured the distance twice. 60 watts of LED is like 300 watts of halogen. But what is important is how the light gets focused and shaped. Putting most of the light out to the far horizon in a flat wide beam is more useful than a flood or a spot. Aux lights can not be used with traffic. So getting a correctly made H4 LED bulb (low beam) protects the eyes of on coming drivers while being able to put more light on the road in the right place. The F2 low beam does this and is what I use 98% of the time. I rarely get to use my high beam, but the improvements made to the low beam also improved the high beam focus. If you are happy with 8$ of mediocrity it is your choice. The F2 does fit into my DRZ400 light bucket which is the same as the Dr650.
    Anders- likes this.
  13. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Thanks for allowing me to have my own choice.

Id probably try one if I thought it would fit. ( in the 1100GS bucket)
  14. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Sounds like you got some pretty good reflectors in that bike :thumb
    I have been toying with the idea of using a second F2 h4 instead of the aux setup, but what I got now works well enough, so I’ll hold on to the other bulb (ordered a pair) until I can get my hands on a small yet great headlight bucket for it :-)
  15. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Possibly a silly question, but I don't know so will ask anyway! Bought an H4 bulb for my Triumph Scrambler. Fits fine in headlamp bucket, and once headlamp is correctly adjusted the beam cutoff is fine. Huge improvement in illumination. Question is this: how hot does the led bulb base get? I left off the 'rubber' weather shield inside the headlamp bucket because I was concerned about it melting or burning. But when fitting the led I offered it up and it will fit on, so if possible I'd prefer to fit it. Anyone got any experience with this?
    slime likes this.
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I kept the rubber on my ktm, punched out a few holes in it as I thought it could help with keeping the bulb cool - the base is less hot than than of a h4.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  17. BMurr

BMurr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    For fitting to R100gs 1991-6 with the square headlamp the rubber dust shroud can be modified with a razor to accommodate the LED bulb. Conveniently, the bulb/fan assembly can be separated from the mount enabling you to mount without having to bend springs or butcher the dust sheath.
    slime likes this.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The H4 R3 bulb works only well in a full round head light, but not so well in a rectangular headlight.
    The small lens over the emitter focuses the light straight up. the top part of a rectangular headlight is flat so it will waste most of the light.
    the other detractor is that the R3 leaves the low beam on with the high beam. This might be good when you do not need to see far (doing off road trails..) but if you are on the road and you really want to see far down the road it is best to turn off the low beam when you turn on the high beam. our eyes have a limited dynamic range. the close glare of the low beam reduces your ability to see far.

The side emitting F2 works well in both round and rectangular headlights.
    The f2 is 30 watts both hi and low. 30 x 5 = 150 watts equivalence to halogen...

The leds do not get hot enough to melt a rubber boot. I have destroyed my boot on trying many previous other leds bulbs, so I just run with out a boot....

It is just my opinion, the F2 low bean is awesome but the high beam is stunning....
    Uke likes this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have a fully round headlight, it's just a small reflector, which I think is my limiting factor. The stock H4 bulb absolutely sucks, I can barely see anything. When I turn the high beam on, I lose all ability to see through a turn because the low pattern off to the sides disappears. So I bought the H4 R3 bulb specifically because the low beam stays on with the high. I don't get to see FAR often; it's NC and there is tree canopy and twisty roads everywhere. I need a 120 degree radius of serious mega leaf-burning light.

I'm guessing I probably can't get that without a physically larger headlight reflector, so I'm also investing in LED driving lights as well.

Charles.
    slime likes this.