H4 LED by Evitek F2 has achived the same focus as H4 halogen bulb - new 2018

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

You should see some of the things he writes in other threads, better than watching a show on the telly :lol3
  2. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Cyclops LED headlamp replacements in my KTM. They illuminate what is in front of me far better than the stock bulbs did, and they are aimed properly, so that they do not pose a hazard to oncoming traffic. That is my experience. I have ridden a couple of thousand miles in front of my buddy with LED bulbs in his Kawasaki Versys 1000. I have not found it to pose any kind of hazard whatsoever.

I agree with @Anders- Take your threadshitting somewhere else, please.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one that doesn't give two nickles and a dog turd about the legality of it? Quite frankly, I'm on a bike. I need to see more than the average car, who already has TWICE the lighting I do. When I enter a turn, all the light that was pointing at the side of the road, where I need to see, now points onto the road, and my visibility through the turn decreases the faster I go and the farther over the bike leans. With low beams on, I want to SEE at night. I want to see better than I see in my Jeep. I want to see like I'm driving a goddamn VOLVO. Legality be dammed.

Charles.
    jackbyo and Uke like this.
  4. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    I am an Engineer. I am a rider who rides a lot at night. Back in the 1970's I retrofitted Cibie Z-beams to my Jeep. I figured out back then how the H4 system works. A few years ago, like many here, I was looking for a led bulb to use in my bike. There was nothing but junk available. Not one manufacture was making a correct H4 LED bulb. None. I started to do my homework to reverse engineer the H4 bulb. I bought several led bulbs and started tinkering. I found one bulb that I could modify to work. I contacted that OEM (Evitek) and told them what I did and what they need to do to make it better. I published some of my work here for ALL to see. I knew that many here would want to do the modification themselves because who knew how long it would take to get the OEM to do the upgrades. Evitek quickly added the shields and began making the other improvements. Other manufactures saw what was going on and followed my recipe. Even a "USA vendor of quality products" contacted me. My intent was to push all the OEM's in the right direction so that all of us riders will benefit.
    I have NOT made a dime off of this project,
    but I now have some LED H4 and 9005/9006 bulbs that work the way they should and so do you.
    However each OEM came out with different solutions, some do not work so well, others work differently.
    Choices are a good thing because we all have different needs.

My mantra is still the same: More light is not better - rather putting the light in the right place is better.

Charles - what we need to do is to mount your light on a servo motor, so when you lean the bike the light stays level.......
    or this
    http://www.jwspeaker.com/adaptive-2-series-led-motorcycle-headlight/
    Uke, slime, Ryephile and 6 others like this.
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Okay yeah, I want that adaptive headlight. That's awesome. Pricey as all get-out, but awesome.

Charles.
    slime likes this.
  6. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    "Pricey as all get-out"

Hmm, the things we take for granted, like the price for being an early adopter of technology.

You could have bought a Cray-1 computer for 80 million dollars, with 8 megs of ram, 160 mhz processor, uses 115 killowatts of power and would fill your living room, magnetic tape drives for data storage...... and you have to write your own software in assembly language..... dial up modem 300 bps...

Your cell phone fits in your pocket, could do the work of more than a thousand crays while you are surfing the wireless net.....
    I should be able to buy the new Gold Wing for $ 0.0002 and it should get to the speed of light.

My numbers maybe be off a little since I am using my slide rule......
    It's time to go ride.....
    jackbyo, Uke and StuartV like this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unsubscribed
  8. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    There is a ignore/block option to tune out the noise of the forum.
    Works quite well.

I have been playing around with headlights for quite a while , too ‘I have the Cibie Z beam and also gone through various HIDs and LEDs with some success. I bought a set of the F2 based on the the reviews here and am more than happy with the output and beam pattern. It has good pattern and does not have the delay startup like the HID.

I have a few other models of various headlights on order from
    Evitek and will review them after I have sufficient experience with them.
    Anders- likes this.
  9. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hadn't seen anything like this before...

Got me thinking -
    I wonder if it might not be simpler to mount the headlight into a housing that has a stablising gymbal - a bit like a stove on a yacht,
    [​IMG]

Or even more fancy ... one of those stabilisers that you stick your phone into to give smooth video even when running/moving around.
    The simple version would at least keep the beam spread in the horizontal plane same as the road, no matter the angle of lean of the bike.

The Fancy electric gymbal version should be able to be set up to pan the corner based on lean angle, speed etc. It would 'steer the light' & be able to respond to the motion input??
    Imagine an LED H4 F2 headlight attached to one of these:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?
    slime and Chaostrophy like this.
  10. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

I think bmw does something similar on their big touring bikes, light goes out through the headlight via a mirror that can move.
    OzCRU likes this.
  11. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Ahh. Now we are thinking....... good Ideas......

The simple boat gymbal uses gravity to keep the stove level.
    The bike has a counter centrifugal force in the lean....

The modern bikes that have lean angle ABS traction control use an electronic sensor that could be harnessed to control your cornering lights. The $500 module looks like this.

https://www.racedatasystems.com/pro...-mm5-10-acceleration-yaw-and-roll-rate-sensor

This would require a small processor to handle the data..

http://pnwmoto.com/motorcycles/i-made-lean-angle-sensor-1771/

this is the $10 sensor use in above project.....

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/DFRobot/SEN0142?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsB9HsreUc%2biTsBxm7ZPwP7DjDt7u%2bl7ro=

another cool example:

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1793.html

A poor mans way would be to mount two angled fog lights with a simple push button for each, one on the left hand grip and one on the right hand grip. Depending on which way you are leaning, you could manually turn on the correct light. Later when you get a lean angle switch it would take over for the manual control.....
    Chaostrophy and OzCRU like this.
  12. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    Or get the JW Speaker headlights and harness the parts from it.
    slime likes this.
  13. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The above motion sensor is already in your cell phone. It is used for gaming and rotating your screen and more.
    Just need someone who is writing phone apps to harness it for use on our bikes.....
  14. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a very cool lean angle sensor.
    Poor mans idea would also be simple & practical, maybe a three position switch mounted horizontally for left, centre & right - but also have to think, it that another distraction that you don't want when preparing for the next corner? that's where the lean angle sensor & processor would take over that function nicely.
  15. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    slime likes this.
  16. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the '70s I raced a couple of 24 hour motorcycle roadraces. This is exactly what we did. We mounted a rectangular light on each side, tilted at about 40 degrees (we were optimistic). Then we powered them through relays connected to the turn signal switch. It was very natural and intuitive to use them. We couldn't just leave them on all the time, we were borderline with our alternator, given the two Super Oscars we had pointing down track. Hijack over.
    slime, OzCRU and Anders- like this.
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Now THAT is genius! Not something that would work for the street, but for a race, that's a pretty damn slick idea!

Charles.
  18. SWRoamer

SWRoamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late to the discussion here, but am ready to order some H4 and H7 units for my bikes. My question is, has anyone tried mounting the H4 unit in a pre-1990 BMW GS? I need more light on my ‘84 R80G/S PD but am unsure about having enough room for the fan and more importantly, the heat factor inside that small headlight nacelle. Anyone?

Thx,
    DG
  19. oapnutter

oapnutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried an H4 Cree led bulb with fan on my W650 but there is not enough room due to the fan ,any recommendations for a good fan less version ?
  20. wiz.au

wiz.au Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to come to the party a bit late, and I fully expect 'the cult' to serve me up a helping of lashings, but some of the statements in the initial post and throughout this thread are 'dubious' in my opinion, and I think that should be covered for others, to have an objective discussion.

I also consider it fair to post this information in a 'Vendors' thread, as the OP is NOT the vendor, but is merely 'spruking' sales on behalf of a vendor.
    And I am NOT a Philips vendor, nor have I posted a link to where they can be purchased. I have posted a link to the specifications page from the manufacturer.

The Phillips Ultinon LED globes have been this design for around two years. The OP heading states "New 2018". Therefore the Philips model are the LED globe that "draw a line in the sand from which other bulbs will be measured", not the "F2". Philips did it two years ago.

"This light blows the doors off all LED bulbs that came before it..."
    Could I please see your comparison against the Philips Ultinon?

I submit the "F2" is a copy of the Phillips design, with a change to the mounting ring which may very well be an improvement to the Philips design.
    https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It would be fair to mention that the Philips unit is VERY expensive, at around $180/pair. So the F2 as an alternative is a LOT more economical. But my point wasn't really about economics, it was that Philips was the first to design and produce a LED H4 globe in this manner, not F2, and the F2 should be compared against the Philips for a true 'apples-apples' comparison.

I couldn't afford the Philips so it would be great to know the F2 is just as good, for a fraction of the price. I would stop saving for the Philips and purchase the F2, then remove the fan and add additional braided flexible heatsinks as I have no room behind the globe for a fan. My fork tubes touch the rubber boot over the right angle H4 connector as it is.
    slime and victor441 like this.