1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

hack in the snow

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by levain, Dec 21, 2007.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I've had this pipe dream for years now, to buy a snow/winter bike. I've thought about the 2wd version Ural with knobbies for snow, bad weather.

How good are these in the snow? I've seen photos and ads for them in the snow, but, really how good are they? What's the charging system like? CAn I run heated gear?

Sure looks like alot of fun, and, considering the ice skating rink on my driveway, I haven't been out on two wheels in a couple weeks. If I could go on 3 nothing would stop me! WEll, at least not ice...

So, how would it be as a winter bike?
  2. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    Jim,

You can't tell but my Ural has three Dunlap 100/90-19 knobs. I get them off the neighbor kid for $5 each :rofl He races moto x and only uses them 4 times. I get about 1200 to 1500 klms off the pusher. The hack has 2500 klms and is still 50%. As far as snow, this is 6.5" and it was a blast. The knobies are a little harsh on the street but who cares it's all about getting my trail on :clap . I'll ride all year long with no worries. So for we have had 6.5" of snow and one -4F in the morning after night shift. As for the charging system I have two 100w lights out front doesn't seen to phase it.
    Just do it.

Attached Files:

3. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    not sure how to get two pics in one post?

Attached Files:

4. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
  5. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ural's are about the only bike I'll see out this way after a significant snow fall, sort of the urban equivalent of a snow mobile. The two wheel drive helps, as does the doesn't-fall-down bit. Whatever the secret sauce is, they certainly look like they are having a hell of a good time. If my garage were say a foot wider, I'd have one now.
  6. JohnBG

JohnBG Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer:
    I would love to ride one of my Urals in this "snow" stuff. Looks like fun.

Send some to Florida and let me try it out! :lol3
  7. AceRph

AceRph Be like Tom

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Here's my favorite snow photo, I took this last winter when I was riding up the Mt Philchuck Rd. Yup I am stuck in this photo, nothing a bit of digging didn't cure but I must admit I was wonderin just WTF I was doing out there alone in falling temps with darkness comin on.
    [​IMG]
  9. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    Great pic Mr. Cob :thumb
  10. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'take out on clear, moon-lit night. Find wide-open sandy patch, the deeper,
    the better. Dial up Jingle Bells on the nano and engage 2WD. Twist go-stick
    on right and repeat: ho, ho, ho.
  11. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! I was feeling REALLY weenie until I remembered we don't really get much snow here. :huh :lol3
    In fact, it seems like we get less and less every year...
  12. Sidecardoug

Sidecardoug Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer:
    One wheel drive sidecar rigs do fine in the snow. Better if you put chains on the drive wheel or lace a rope around the wheel in a spiral fashion.

All the rigs here are one wheel drive
  13. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made up some studded tires for mine and it works pretty well- so long as there isn't to much of a load in the car it'll handle most of the roads I've tried. Deep snow will stymie it, as well as really steep hills- as one would expect. I actually like riding it on snowpack more than any other surface as it's easier to drift through the corners and the whole rig feels more stable when sliding, for reasons I have not been able to articulate....
    I like riding it at 10-20 F as the roads are more likely to be dry. I confess I wuss out if it's zero or below.

[​IMG]
  14. Gummiente

Gummiente Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer:
    No need, a lot of us know exactly what you're talking about. Nice rig, btw.
  15. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Swap ya spots... :deal
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, man, you guys got me thinking. A hack IS in my future! Keep the photos and stories coming!
  17. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Doug, that rope idea is intriguing. What is the best kind of rope to use, and how do you tie it off / keep it on the wheel?
  18. Sidecardoug

Sidecardoug Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer:
    It's stop gap and any driving on pavement will ruin the rope. I use whatever I have that fits. You just tie one end around the wheel. I can't remember if I used a clove hitch or if the line had an eye spliced in one end. You then just wrap the rope around the wheel through the spokes. At the other end, I tied it off by putting the end under the rope looped around the wheel and pulled it tight and then did it again. The rope will give you surprising traction. It also helps to stand on the passenger pegs. If you have a passenger on a 1WD rig, put him or her on the seat behind you.

The rope trick is quick and easy. I have chains as well, but they take longer to put on.
  19. gruby

gruby Foolish Old Person (FOP)

Oddometer:
    Some pictures of 1wd hacks in the snow --- but --- this year with a Ural Patrol I'll be able to go even father and get stuck even deeper :D
    http://tinyurl.com/26vsqw
    [​IMG]
  20. Gummiente

Gummiente Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer:
    Photo taken this morning, while marauding through the countryside. The crosswinds were very strong and had blown a line of drifts along one side of this road, so I amused myself by punching through them (2nd gear, 40kmh). Full trip report and photos to follow later today...
    [​IMG]