Hacking our way through the Heart of the West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Strong Bad, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Revisiting this RR after mentions by AngtlAlaska, I'd really like to do the HOW. Great pics of the way outback, Strong Bad! Great camp sites. Kirby and I have banged around in that general area and loved it, but the HOW hits some places where we've never been. Timing is tough, though. After Labor Day you're fighting with the hunters for camping spots, while in August you can hit some wicked heat. Maybe July? On the way back from the USCA Rally in Colorado? Or still too snowy?
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think timing is probably THE hardest question to ask or answer for these long dirt road adventures. HOW doesn't have all of the big high passes of the CDR, so snow pack is not nearly the issue. If it was me, coming from WA headed to the USCA Rally in Hotchkiss CO, I would pick the route up down in Dell MT and take it counter clock-wise down into CO and then drop down to the sidecar rally. After the rally, go back north and re-join the route. That being said I have a feeling that much of Northwest Colorado, Southern Utah and all of the Nevada sections will be pretty damn hot in early July. The hunters & outfitters do take up most of the really prime camping spots. SWMBO has pretty high standards and insists on camping next to streams if at all possible. I guess her camping spot standards caused us to search around a bit more, but Tony does have just about all of the good spots marked as waypoints. There was a bit of; "OK that one's got people, lets see what the next one looks like".
  3. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you folks should try out the Blue Canoe ( Alaska State Ferry and try out Alaska) you won't be fighting for a place to camp.
    FLYING EYEBALL and Strong Bad like this.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    These have all been just practice for a big trip north!
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Bob, I don't dare take Kirby to Alaska. He only weighs 50 lbs. The Alaska mosquitoes could pick him up and carry him away before I could do anything about it.
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.