Hacks-n-Pups

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PackMule, Dec 20, 2007.

1. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    Pops,

It is possible to correct your dog's unwanted behaviour. I have rescued several dogs in the past that were returned to shelters or just deemed unadoptable because of human/dog aggression. My current was severely reactive to basically everything; cats, dogs, deer, rabbits, skateboarders, bicyclists, blowing leaves, etc. To the point where she was impossible to take on a walk. It took about 10 minutes to stop 90% of the bad behavior, and 2 weeks to get her 100%. Another couple weeks to proof her, and her world is much larger now. She is at work with me today, and we just "patrolled" the park, about 4 miles of walkers, squirrels, dogs, and skaters. Off leash. Her world is much larger now, and she's making much better decisions. She doesn't play with other dogs, but she has learned to exist with them.

I might be able to recommend a local trainer to help. Let me know if I can help.

20180323_142305.jpg She just met this dog and hiked for 3 hours off leash with no issues. (That's her on the left)

Attached Files:

2. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    ROADOG 62 and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  4. raysrig

raysrig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Closing out 2019 with a routine jaunt to the park...just a boy and his motorcycle, his best bud, in a sidecar, on a typical bluebird day... 20191231_115650.jpg
  5. InnerNerd

InnerNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's finally warmed up enough for this guy.
    84848493_129147265078664_776810714354142782_n.jpg
  6. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
  7. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!! :clap

Jack and Buck
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  8. raysrig

raysrig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200215_172934.jpg Balmy 72 degree sundown river ride, fair weather riding for me nowadays. Doggie does well in the cold but she has a designer fur coat...
  9. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    <iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="359" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Bobmws, cateyetech, JustKip and 6 others like this.
  10. NxtGoRnd

Oddometer:
    Loki (Black) and Thor new to the pack, first ride with Sasha. IMG_20200228_152826118.jpg IMG_20200228_152838056.jpg IMG_20200228_152842760.jpg
  11. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
  12. NxtGoRnd

Oddometer:
    Yep I think your right, already have a trailer hitch mounted for Sasha to pull her canoe and a willing friend with two hacks.
    20190515_110422.jpg 20190515_123927.jpg
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
  14. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Wow, the new Urals must be really stable as much as he has his hands off the bars.
  15. huck629

huck629 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's Buddy. He's 2 and half years old and he adopted me two months ago. This is his very first minute in his new Ural. He's not showing any sign of being afraid of it but he's not jumping in one his own and demanding to drive off either. I'm going to take a few days to introduce him to the sidecar and then the sound of the motor running. I can use the time to figure out how to drive this thing. I've never driven a sidecar or an atv before so this is a bit of a learning curve!

Buddy1stDay.JPG
    bpeckm, Webman, EVLED and 10 others like this.
  16. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Try throwing a treat in there and you will have him jumping in in no time. He may be comfortable perched on the seat but likely more stable if at least the bottom is removed and replaced by a flat substitute that gives him grip, either padded or not. Might also be worth getting used to driving for a while before you actually take him out. It will let you get past some of those "Oh shit" moments and he may be more anxious to go if he sees you leave without him a few times.

Before you get him going in the sidecar make sure you want him riding with you. If he is like most dogs, and mine in particular, they will give you the stink eye if you do go without them.
    huck629, Bobmws, Webman and 2 others like this.
  17. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Please take your time!! One mistake now and you have lost a riding partner for life. Some dogs jump in and never miss a beat others take a long time but eventually love it more then life itself....damhik!

Side car first with lots of goodies.....engine noise next with no movement....keep checking for reactions. Anything adverse and back up a bit and again take your time. Lots of goodies!

I have two dogs....one who was slated to be my riding partner and one who was not.

My dog hated the sound of motorcycles and is paranoid of any thing of substance new. I took a month with him and now I can't keep him out of the rig moving or not.

The other dog (wife's.... female) jumped in one day and loves to ride and makes me feel bad that her brother mostly gets the opportunity.

I believe most all dogs WOULD love to ride if just given a fair chance. Take your time and read his reactions well and all will be good. :clap

Btw there is more during my build signature.

Jack and Buck
  18. redfishguide

Oddometer:
    Annnddd!.....I forgot to mention eye protection. We messed with doggles for a while but soon enough went to Rex specs after a bit and are really satisfied now.

I also prefer to keep him in with a harness set up even though he has never made an attempt to leave after passing all the tests (squirrel.....the big one.....cat, deer and turkey) BUT there are many different opinions on this... so make up you own mind.

Jack and Buck
  19. huck629

huck629 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Even just one day has shown a lot of progress. Day one he seemed interested but I had to help him into the rig. Then lots of treats and happiness while sitting a little bit. Did that about four times spread out over the afternoon/evening.

Day two he leads me right to the Sidecar and jumps right in... then lots of treats and encouragement. Then throughout the day every time we go thru the garage he jumps into the Sidecar.

Today I’m gonna try engine running with him.

I’m trying both doggles and rexspecs (actually started with them before I got the rig). He actually prefers doggles, which surprises me.
  20. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    For my first rides with the mutts, I brought a training bag with treats and kept a steady stream of snacks flowing. Worked great, and they both love riding as long as I keep the speeds below 45 or so.
    huck629 likes this.