Hacks-n-Pups

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PackMule, Dec 20, 2007.

1. exhaust_nut

exhaust_nut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering about big dogs- do you guys remove the seat bottom, or do the dogs sit with their butts on the seat with theri front feet on the floor?[/quote]

The seat pad is out and a dog bed is in.
  2. exhaust_nut

exhaust_nut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nuther view.
  3. chalice29

chalice29 n00b

Oddometer:
    Shaybo is already for a lap around the Indianapolis 500 Track.

Attached Files:

Combatscoot likes this.
  4. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    PackBaby's still lovin' these -- keep 'em coming! :clap
  5. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm lovin' this. A current goal of mine is to find a rig that will accommodate me and TWO lab retrievers, both around 80 lbs. Will the Ural hold them with reasonable comfort if I take the seats out? Any other ideas? Thanks from me, Cody and Diva.
  6. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    A Ural would work, but a Cargo box if you can find one, might work better. Both Ural and Sputnik have made cargo boxes that would do nicely. Check Dauntless and your favorite Ural dealers to see if there are any around, or go to Russian Iron or the IMWA Ural chat forum and post a want ad
  7. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dont know 2 dogs at 80 lbs each might be a bit crowded. I have no doubt the car could take it but the dogs might feel a bit cramped, even with the saet pad out. I 2nd the cargo box idea or make your own car to fit the Ural frame. I now it is a bit cramped for Elvis by herself, another dog would be interesting to say the least.
  8. antsaint

antsaint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, Slammin. Jodie and I are waiting to see if she and our 45-lb. mutt will both fit in the hack. Just waiting for that call from Jim that the rig is on its way...

What do you think, lads - will a slender hottie and an even slenderer pooch fit in the tub all right?
  9. Prizrak

Prizrak MonkeyButt

Oddometer:
    It can be done, but it'll be a tight fit for two 80-pounders. I have one myself, and the other is a 40-lb Hound; Lab in front; Hound in trunk. Trunk lid is reinforced with brace and locked open when we're 3-up. I stay on city streets only until I can install quick-release hinges for the lid so that I can just remove, vs. straining the existing hinges.

Front seat was removed and a piece of thick MDF was upholstered and mounted on the floorboard. Eye-bolt was mounted in middle and the Lab has a chest harness which is latched to the eye bolt. He isn't going anywhere exept to lay down on long rides.

If you want to keep the exising tub and forego the cargo route (a very good idea, if you have the $$$), you could probably have the cross-brace (behind the passenger backrest) fabricated to be a snap-lock type, so you can easily remove/replace (along with the trunk lid with quick-release hinge) whenever you're going 3-up. That might give you room length-wise, allthough it would still be tight laterally. It will always be one dog in front, one behind. Some sort of horizontal bracing would still need to be fabricated in place of the existing brace, as the sidewalls would be far too flimsy and full of vibration at speed. Again, if you had a snap-in brace fabricated, you could have an arcing brace created you could interchange, which would allow headroom for the pups.

After speaking with a Machinist and bike builder at length on the subject, we know it can be done...but I opted for getting a smaller #2 dog instead.

3-Up Photo here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5977835&postcount=23
  10. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    Need pics of slender hottie..:evil

:lol3

You know for measuring and stuff!
  11. ThruxCapacitor

ThruxCapacitor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not exactly a pup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...the GF's piece of shitzu.
    [​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd and Combatscoot like this.
  12. JohnBG

JohnBG Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer:
    No, only one bitch per hack... :wink: (just kidding)

Can the dog sit in her lap? The most I've been able to squeeze in mine is two small kids. The tub aint all that wide.
  13. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cargo box looks like it just might work, though the Ural web site says it weighs 227 lbs. With dogs, we'd be close to 400 lbs. I might just go in circles with that much drag. Amazingly, Ural doesn't show the dimensions of the box in their specs. I'm also guessing it's made of steel. I like the idea of fabbing my own box on a frame. Could save some weight if I made it out of fiberglass or aluminum. Thanks, all, for your responses.
  14. Dr Jim

Dr Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lonnie at Nortwest Sidecars in Boise, Idaho (http://www.sidecar-industry.com/nwest/default.htm) had a Ural frame with an alloy toolbox for a full-sized pickup mounted to it. Made a very decent, light package at about 220 pounds, and it surely was easy to put together...

Cheers

Jim
  15. antsaint

antsaint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL! I shoulda known that was coming. 1 slender hottie, coming right up - here she is on Christmas morning, in the Tourmaster jacket I got for her. I'm thinking she and Ella can both fit in the hack — but I guess we'll find out for sure this weekend!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151545&stc=1&d=1202794706

Attached Files:

Combatscoot likes this.
  16. antsaint

antsaint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL - walked right into that one!

I'm figuring Ella will just kind of go in the floor of the tub, and just rest her head on Jodie's lap (she often just naps anyway). Here's a pic of both of them, for scale:

jodie-ella-bridge.jpg
    Combatscoot likes this.
  17. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could try putting a flat pillow on GF's lap for the dog to sit on. The cushion is mostly to prevent dog from sliding betwen GF's knees. Use Doggles, please. (or make your own by adding a chin strap to swimming goggles) Using a harness instaed of a collar will make it easier to hang onto the dog. Sometimes Rosie gets excited and tries to climb out on the nose (for full-body effect I guess), so gentle restraint is a good thing.
  18. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    The fella that lived down the road from us years back had a 883 with a hack..
    He use to take his Great Dane for rides .. It was great to see...
    Sorry no pix...
  19. antsaint

antsaint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ernie, the pillow's a good idea. Already been looking at Doggles, just got to decide color and order. Heard some other folks talk about having a harness too - I'm figuring we'll be doing that as well.
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    ShimrMoon and Combatscoot like this.