HadesOmega Dirt Bike Adventure 2021 (Desert Edition)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by HadesOmega, Feb 1, 2021.

1. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you enjoyed the tour of the travellers monument now we travel across the remainder of Soda Dry Lake. The terrain changes from a salt flat to mud/dirt flats then to volcanic rock section.

Davethestick and AZ TOM like this.
  2. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this video we reach the limits of what the Litespeed 18650 battery pack can go which is around 18miles of sandy road. It was fun but it's time to turn around unless I want to push the bike back to camp. We made it shy of a 1 or 2 miles of Kelbaker Road. I definitely would have made it with 2 packs if it was a one way trip.

AZ TOM likes this.
  3. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this video the first pack runs out of juice so I swap the 2nd one in and continue to RTB. By the end we have made it back to the Traveller's Monument.

4. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made it back to camp barely, I decided to rip it on the way back and it just chomped up the battery a whole lot so I slowed down a bit. Definitely the range of the Light Bee is not good for desert riding is not it's strong suit for sure but it's fun to try! The next video is an AAR and then we head out to see the Mojave Megaphone on the KLX170!

AZ TOM likes this.
  5. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the After Action Review for the Mojave Nation Preserve double battery pack ride. It pretty much went as planned and got to see some cool stuff.

AZ TOM likes this.
  6. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here we go it's the 4th day riding in the Mojave desert and the 2nd ride of the day. While the Sur Ron Light Bee is charging we're going to go on one more ride to the Mojave Megaphone! It's an 11 mile ride through challenging desert terrain. This ride was less chill the the previous. In this video we ride to the end of Rasor Road which takes us to an oasis or spring in the desert. It's the only place you see trees out here.

AZ TOM likes this.
  7. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here we go better put your dune riding cap on because we're going dune riding! So I head off in the direction Ms. Google is telling me to go and it sends me through these sand dunes. I kinda have no idea where I'm going but the GPS says if I ride straight that way I'll get where I'm going. Unfortunately my action camera ran out of power so I got some clips here any there. The ride was harder than I thought it would be. I had to jump some railroad tracks, it was ez the first time and when the I had the camera rollin I failed haha. Lots of sand and whoops just beating the crap out of me but we made it to the Mojave Megaphone, great view of Rasor OHV from there for sure!

AZ TOM likes this.
  8. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    The after action review for the Mojave Megaphone ride. It was more tiring ride than I thought it would be but definitely more desert adventure! Dunes, whoops, oasis, strange stuff on top of a mountain what more could you want!

9. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the next 2 days I did't do any dirt biking I wound up driving into Death Valley NP and showing a friend around a bit. It was really windy too. I was planning to camp and ride at Dumont Dunes because it is on the way to Death Valley but I wound up passing it and was going to come back on the way home. But I happened upon the Amagrosa Big Dune and went there instead since it was FREE! Here are a bunch of pictures of some of the stuff leading up to the Big Dunes ride!

I charged my battery in Baker at the a chargepoint L2 station with my EVSE adapter I made a video about it too. They had quite a few Chargpoint DC faster chargers here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I visited the world largest thermometer and behind it is an EVGO charging station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped by the Dumont Little Dunes area, the bigger dunes are farther down the road
    [​IMG]

Stopped by the China Ranch Date Farm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hiked this trail that was at the Date Farm it goes to a slot canyon, was too tired to go hiking last time I was here doing the CABDR. Boy would I have loved to ride the Light Bee on this trail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's even a watercrossing
    [​IMG]
  10. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slot Canyon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a BLM land near Tecopa you can camp at and they have hot springs. Took these night photos there. Was nice to soak in the hotspring after having been riding for 4 days. My camera has a night shot function so I was trying out this trip and it works great. Maybe at the end of the ride report I will post all the night photos. There was quite a few people camping there. Great place to stay that is very close the Death Valley National Park boundary. It's tough to go to Death Valley because they closed all the campgrounds in the park.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AZ TOM likes this.
  11. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Desert Sunrise, it is freezing when i took this picture BTW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped by Shoshone for a little break before heading into Death Valley NP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gas prices here suck
    [​IMG]

In Death Valley now! Interesting to note if you a veteran of the US armed forces you can no visit any national park for free just show they proof that you are a veteran and they give you a map and let you in for free. Of course they don't have a toll booth in Death Valley but thats what I did when i went to the visitors center.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had some breakfast here at the Ashford Mill ruins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AZ TOM likes this.
  12. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Badwater Basin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Panoramics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw another Previa here :) This one is supercharged!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AZ TOM likes this.
  13. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey! I have a Sur-Ron Light Bee and I never knew you could charge it at a charging station. What was the adapter that you purchased? I have a stock battery and controller, do you know if all you need is the stock charger and the adapter to be able charge? I'm considering purchasing a generator and I'm curious if the generator charges faster or slower than the station. I just hate the sound of generators!!

Thanks
    Ron
  14. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask an you shall receive

I got the EVSE adapter here:
    https://www.evseadapters.com/products/j1772-ev-adapter-for-ebike/

Basically you need an EVSE adapter that tricks the station into thinking an EV is connected. With this adapter we can get 220/240V power from it. Soooo you can use a 220/240v charger to charge your bike at a public charging station. All public charging stations are 220-240V. That being said your stock Sur Ron charger is designed to work with 110/120V so it wouldn't work. You will have to get another charger that is designed to work with 240V like a Sur Ron charger from a different country who's standard is 220V.

You can also use a Sur Ron to XT60 adapter and find a 60V charger that works at 220V on aliexpress or wherever for an ebike.
    RonSJC likes this.
  15. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hiked the Natural Bridge Canyon. Never been here before, there always more stuff to explore every time I go back to Death Valley. It's different coming here on a motorcycle and a car. I feel on a motorcycle I don't like going hiking a whole lot. I would much prefer riding than hiking though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waterless falls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amphib and AZ TOM like this.
  16. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Devil's Golf Course, I want to point out that it is HELLA windy right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artists Drive, I was tempted to ride the Light Bee through here I thought it was dirt but it's all paved so I decided not to. It is a one way road also. Was fun to drive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zabriske Point
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 Mule Team Canyon. I would have loved to ride the Light Bee through here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dante's View
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I camped at a RV park called Space Station RV Park in Beatty, Nevada. I had actually planned to do some riding in the park with the Light Bee since it is plated I was planning to ride to Hole in the Wall, Racetrack, and fantasize riding through Titus Canyon, if someone would drive to the other side of Titus Canyon and pick me up at the other end I would do it, there's no way the Light Bee would make it back to the entrance. Anyway it didn't happen the weather wasn't very pleasant in Death Valley at the time it was SUPER windy. The wind did die down that evening finally though. The good thing about staying in Beaty and the RV park is that I finally got to take a shower. Also I had some BBQ the night before it was nice being able to sit down at a restaurant as I think this part of Nevada was a lower Covid alert level than all of California.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mmm BBQ, this was Smokin J's BBQ right on the main road.
    [​IMG]

OK here is the story of how I wound up at the Amagrosa Big Dune. I was going with a buddy to Pahrump because I was planning to camp and ride at Lovell Canyon where the LAB2Vs final dirt section is (if you have time), I always wanted to ride it on a dirt bike. On the way there I actually saw some dirtbikes riding in the desert it was some kind of dirtbike race in the desert, some kind of enduro race btw. But on the way to Pahrump I see this sign that says Big Dune. And I'm like huh there some sand dunes out here. So I'm lookin it up on google and it's called Amagrosa Big Dune. It's a BLM area right off the freeway sorta. You have to drive like 4 miles on a dirt road to get there. But I find out it's FREE to ride there! No permit required to just drop anchor and ride! I was planning to ride Dumont Dunes because I've ridden there a while back when I still had my quad. But what I didn't like is that you had to purchase a week pass for $30. Doesn't matter if you want to stay 1, 2, or 3 days you pay for a whole week for $30. If I go dune riding here it's FREE! I would also highly recommend camping here if you are on an ADV bike, just don't go riding on the dunes with your ADV bike unless your confident riding dunes with it. It's not as big as Dumont Dunes but the dune size is comparable to the Big Dumont Dunes.
    [​IMG]

Sorry I tried to get a shot of the sign. There are actually 2 entrances I took the entrance that was closer to Beatty. There is another one closer to Amagrosa.
    [​IMG]

So we make it to Pahrump and I tell my buddy hey I think i want to camp at the Big Dune since it's free. So they stayed in Pahrump cause they needed to do some shopping there's a walmart there. And I headed back to Big Dune it's about halfway between Pahrump and Beatty. But it'd be worth it to not have to shell out $30 to ride Dumont Dunes later.
    [​IMG]

Amagrosa Valley is nearby the Big Dune also. There's this Area 51 store off the freeway if you need any supplies. I think Area 51 is north of here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The entrance to the Big Dune right off the freeway. This is the on closer to Beatty. You can pretty easily drive a car down this dirt road no problem for the battle van, it would suck if it was all muddy though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll get closer and closer to the dunes and eventually about 5 or so miles you'll get to the this sign
    [​IMG]

And not too far from this sign a large clearing great for RV camping. Don't go to far though unless you have a 4x4. And so our dune riding adventure begins! HadesOmega will not lie I am not a dune riding noob. I used to own quads and a quad is the best machine for the dunes. A few years back I did the HadesOmega Quadventure ride and I rode almost all the OHV dunes in California, like GLAMIS! I had some experience riding the KLX140 on the dunes and it is WAY underpowered for this. But hey my KLX is now a KLX170 and I wanted to try riding an electric dirt bike on the dunes so here we are. That's why I put those flag mounts on there :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here we go my first time riding an electric dirt bike on the dunes. It does ok but not enough traction without paddles.

20. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starting to get the hang of riding the Light Bee on the dunes. It's got a lot of power but it's not very reliable and I'm not getting any traction. Then the inevitable happens the primary drive belt snaps presumably from the heat. Fortunately for me I was rescued by some folks driving their side by sides.