Halfrica Twin Does 4 Western States Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HandCanonShootr, Jul 6, 2020.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 1 (6/13) 289mi.

Left home in Downey CA, slabbed it north, shooting for Los Burros Spur Camp, in Big Sur South, 2500’ above the coastline/ PCH. Honda running good, In prep, an oil chg. & new brake pads, along with pretty new Mitas E10s F&R. My baby is a Rally-Raid Conversion on a 2016 CB500XA, a HALFRICA Twin, has already proved her prowess to me, both following on a 2 track, as well as this year or so I’ve owned the HT. A couple personal notes, my avatar is me, while riding Australia in ‘80s, and HandCanonShootr refers to my other passion, Specialty Pistols. These are long-range rifle calibers, some built on un-designated actions, pistol stocked, shot from 100 to 1000yds (benchrest/bipods) caliber depending, all my own precision handloads, my 3rd hobby, any interest, PM me for a picture or two.

Traffic was COVID light lots of closed locations, by early afternoon I was turning off PCH, on to a marvelous stretch of forest road thru Big Sur So./Los Padres NF. About 75 min of great forest roads put me at one of several camps on the spur. Previously I’d camped in this site several times. About 2500 ft. above the coast, great views. 3 of the 5 campsites were occupied, the Kirk-Creek CG below on PCH was closed. Set up in a tunnel of trees, tent up, cracked a beer….

20200613_170125.jpg

Day 2 (6/14) 267mi

Woke at Los Burros camp, love the light & views here, lots of campers made it this far into the area. One neighbor has his Benz 4X4 Adv-Van perched in a killer spot, could see PCH below direct from his open side doors.
    20200613_184452.jpg 20200613_184638.jpg 20200614_091237.jpg
    20200614_094101.jpg Had a sweet ride out thru Los Padres, heading for breakfast at Deetjens, a Hip-Luxury Motel in Big Sur, their restaurant has the most awesome Eggs-Benedicts, really good. In Stinson Beach a big BLM Protest blocked my PCH progress for a while. Now past SF, My next night was not picked, but hoping campgrounds along the way would be open, every one I passed was closed, except private RV Camps. While I re-supplied at a country store, a pair of LEOs were having a break across the street, one CHP, and a Local PD, when asked about camping spots north of us, the CHP volunteered that they are not siting anyone for camping overnight on any turnouts in his area (thru Mendocino) due to Covid & closed CGs.

They also told me that the Park svc has it hands full with the day use areas, any closed CG could be driven into on a bike…

They told me about a nice turnout to camp at above Ft. Ross, but as I drove past another closed CG, I looked down from PCH at a dozen empty sites below me. Turning around, I stopped at chained entrance, noting was not closed recently for pandemic, but unused for a season or two, with weeds pushing thru pavement cracks everywhere. To the side of the entrance gate, a diag.brace-beam was only propped into place, when removed, left a nice path into the campground. I drove around the 20+ sites looking for one not visible from road, the tail end of the sites wound down towards a surf (sound). Parking I walked up a small hill, and had a view of a small cove, waves crashing. Even as important, an open porta potty sat nearby. The entire campground had been rough mowed lately, and wood & sticks covered the sites. But I was in a nice little spot, walking distance from seeing the surf, could hear it at night. Deciding to set my s-Bag up on the table instead of the ground, I also gathered enough wood for a small fire. Hopefully more campgrounds north will be open. As the sun set, a marine layer came in, so I set up my canopy over the sleeping bag to keep the dew off. Had a nice fire, and a beer.

20200614_195807.jpg
    20200614_211304.jpg 20200615_095511.jpg
  2. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 3 (6/15) 135mi

Ft.Ross CG to Usal Beach CG

Those Sheriffs yesterday noted that with so many closed campgrounds, and so little workers, you could almost drive right in to a closed campground. (I removed & then replaced beam in AM) My intended lunch spot was Ft. Bragg, with a taproom for a favorite beer. But Taproom was closed, after buying 3 beers from brewery, went to a great diner up the road, for lunch. Next Stop Usal Road. One of the 2 specific that are part of my Lost Coast must do’s. The waypoint where Usal Road meets Hwy 1 was marked on my Phones GPS Map. But I drove right past the spot, stopping (My GPS Tracking shows) after 7 mi, and u-turning 3 times I stopped to check location, the 3rd time I was right there, only no intersection. Then I noticed a 45 degree uphill 2-track, looked slippery, but that was the start of Usal Rd.

Instantly awesome Forest Service Road, a bit rutted, but the Halfrica Twin was doing well, with knobby tires at both ends. My goal was one of 2 campgrounds on the beach off this track. Usal Beach CG was too nice. About 30 casual campsites mostly in the trees, on sandy soil about 2/300yds from the surf line. A couple campsites were out on the rocky beach also. After setting camp I walked to see the surf, a rocky beach with small patches of sand, by mostly rounded grey rocks. Next this I noticed a pair of Bull Elk grazing halfway to the water, they were looking pretty tame as they crossed a 20’ wide river eating on the way from bottom as they crossed twds some campers.

Even though (only) 135 miles today, was over 4 hours of riding time, 3hrs of which, was beaut FS roads. My first thought was how to fit more of these roads into this trip.
    20200615_182837.jpg
    20200615_192321.jpg

Day 3 (6/16) 31miles Slept well, when I fired up my stove for coffee, the brush stirred just past the trees screening my campsite, It was the Elk, both of them, 40ft. away.

20200616_063738.jpg They stayed within 50ft of my camp all morning until I left Usal Beach heading north on Usal Rd. Even though only covered 31 miles, was some of the best ever riding, thru redwoods. Marked a waypoint of a casual campsite along the road, then another, a few miles later, then realizing that there was a dozen along this route. Corner of Usal & Briceland Rds. for a mile pavement for a mile, mailboxes, and driveways. Then a fast few miles of dirt before Shelter Cove. Thinking about it I wanted to turn around and ride it again.
    20200616_113748.jpg
    Went to store for food, then headed down King Peak Rd (FS) another 11-12 mi to Tolkin CG. This is a nice spot with a MTB trail system around Mountain & CG. But as when I was there with wife, was empty of campers. Though windy, had a fire again, that & a beer round out great days riding.

20200616_183045.jpg

Day 4 (6/17) Left Tolkin CG, continued North on King Peak Road for another 2.5 hours of forest road bliss, this time thru redwoods. During the last hour (before H-dew) evidence of Pot growing (now legal), with multiple large greenhouses visible, multiple water cisterns at road side, fencing & gates tall. Also the road was now had a few speeding white 4X4s trucks to watch for. Before this trip I had been warned, and read not to explore/camp down dirt roads here. Back on pavement, made it to Honeydew for a Burger & Garlic fries. People watching here was funny. A group of 20-somethings waiting for food with me were complaining about working too hard, when I asked what kind of work? “Agriculture” his answer. Two girls screeched to a stop in the gravel along the highway, then without moving turned tires sharply all the way to right to turn into a parking space, understood, when they got out of the Pathfinder, they were pretty stoned, & sent to p-up lunch for a group (looked like). Another Rasta was circulating around, he tried to sell me some magic-mushrooms, when I was leaving.

Now to Mattole road, another must ride for this area. Although paved, the coast right is right here along with the old potholed 2-lane road, this part of the coast I’ve only seen once before, and is as enchanting as PCH south of SF. One great turnout next to a small bridge a possible overnight spot, the beach here full of driftwood, long and empty of people. Mattole road was about 90 min long went thru both Redwood & Fern Forests, then mountainous twistys on the way to meet a good friend of my brother in Mickinlyville.

Aaron & Dave showed me around his Backyard shops, years of Welding/Fabrication, Fishing, Hunting, projects, 2-safes of guns, could a stayed a week. They liked my S-Pistol pics, and talk of handloading. He told me how a welding project almost killed him and another guy. He was blown out the open door onto driveway 15’ away, right thumb blown off, the other guy took a pc of shrapnel, same as getting shot with a .45 up close, he went down, calling for help. Only a neighbor nearby saved them (both) with immediate first aid, and 911. Both would have bled-out & could not help themselves, he told me. Fresh fish that he had just caught that afternoon for dinner, and eggs w/venison sausage patties for breakfast. He said does not buy any meats from market, fishing & hunting keep his freezer(s) full. Have appointment for a new tire at a shop that Bill suggested, a BMW dealer, hope not too much issue with a Honda.
    LM15, Chillis, Wilde and 7 others like this.
  3. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    20200616_113748.jpg 20200616_110740.jpg 20200617_115742.jpg 20200617_121827.jpg Day 5 (6/18) 313 mi (incl 6/16-17) After Venison sausage for breakfast I packed & left for Medford, where I have a 3pm service appointment to install new rear tire. Sounded like he had several possible choices in tire as the BMW GS uses the same size. Hansen’s BMW turned to be a very nice small shop, kind of a vignette of what a m/c shop used to be. Only 15 bikes in a small showroom, and 3-4 were vintage BMWs, not every current model was on display. The family 3rd-gen that ran the shop were so friendly, Mason gave me great service, and I felt he was a friend by the time I left. Mason bragged that they have regularly taken “Best Dealer Award” for N.America (Owners vote), I put on a Henidu K60 (ice/snow) a softer compound (rear) it felt like my last E07-plus to my hand. Joel was possibly getting to Medford that evening, so when I booked a Motel 6 room got 2 beds in case he made it. I sent him a couple messages on phone & Delorme, stopped by a Lg variety store, had a Pizza delivered.
    Joel had another room reserved already, we’ll connect in the AM.

20200618_152536.jpg

Day 6 (6/19) I walked to a diner Elmer’s, nearby for breakfast, also to the Big store (Fred Meyer) to exch a mask 2-pk. Waiting at my motel room for Joel’s heads-up we finally met street-side in front of the Fred Meyer store. We met Mofrid at Shady Cove, a rest area half way to the cabin. We met & followed Bill to the locked gate & cabin. We rode into the Union Creek area where another inmate has a cabin, offered several nights, with food & drink, not free, but a great place, Mofrid was great on the phone, very nice in person. We were given the quick tour, Joel took a Living-room couch, I took a loft queen bed upstairs. Bill had brought food & drink for the extended weekend (small fee) even asked me & bought lager. Right on Bill.
    BTW Tire felt good on ride in.

20200619_152059.jpg 20200619_152235.jpg
    20200619_154130.jpg Joel got to work right away!

The Rouge River was 50ft from his rear deck, had a really nice old BBQ/Grill (pic) with Iron fittings clearly from a diff age. Bill pointed out how finely the (iron, wood-feeding) door was designed, still adjusted draft perfectly after years. Bill also had a new “Egg” BBQ that we would use in a day or so, It had a bit of a manufacturing defect, between the 2 of us, with advice from an Aerospace Engineer, we got loosened/tightened/adjusted, the BBQ into a more usable state. The Cabin also had a huge fire pit with piles of & wood benches. Tasty Lamb, Cold Beer, thumbs up, my own Qn. bed upstairs, only the 3 of us here now others arriving tomorrow.

Attached Files:

LM15, Wilde, rjnutt and 4 others like this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike. Crazy times and glad we found the opportunity to get out of the crowded city.
    Good camping along the CA coast and hope I find a few on my way home to LA.
    HandCanonShootr and Some Beach like this.
  5. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 7 (6/20) 270mi After a great cooked brekie (thx Bill) Joel & I left for a day ride, only had to return at 6p to open gate for another inmate (Some Beach). We had the day to play.

What an amazing day of riding! 1st Crater Lake, then followed Bills suggestion(s) north twds Diamond Lake, were we had a good burger. Noting a pair of high-lighted roads on my Butler map (m/c exceptional) Both roads were really great, small two-lane without a dividing line. Also Joel took us down a bunch of logging gravel roads, one we followed where trees fallen blocking road had been cut to allow a small car/truck to pass, we passed a dozen cut trees, ducking under others, finally a few miles in, a tree too big for their chainsaw. Great forest riding, usually along a river. Or in a tunnel of trees. We ended up getting really lost, missed one turn and it took us into other great roads, after finding our way back to the missed turn, we still has a long ride home, got to cabin after 9P, GPS showed 270mi. they had had their feast, were worried we had crashed or broken. The rider “Some Beach” had drama trying to find cabin/pass gate without us (sorry D). No cell coverage, they could not call us nor him. After a semi-cold Pork chop & baked potato dinner. Two new riders showed, Dave (BMW GSA) & Martin (BMW P-D Airhead). Going for a group ride tomorrow.
    20200620_121018.jpg 20200620_122939.jpg 20200620_122335.jpg

Day 8 (6/21) 208mi As promised Mofrid, our host took us for a nice day trip, went to a great lunch spot they had Burgers, four diff great salads (Cobb for me) and Kombucha on tap! Was a really good meal, Some Beach also had a salad, burgers for the rest. Great roads, Bill explained that different types of trees, are unique to each Nat’l Forest / Park. Today for the 2nd time we bypassed the long line of cars waiting to enter park, filtered to the right (employee) lane, waited at stop, showing our annual passes, waved on in. Was nice getting to know the other 2 riders going along with Joel & I to Montana. After a nice dinner we adjourned to the fire pit for beers & tall stories. Dave was a LEO, Martin recently retired, close to my age. Today was my 8th day in a row riding big miles, and a great one. We are planning to take the day off tomorrow in advance on the Montana journey.

Only pic from the ride, Lunch Cobb & Kombucha. Saw Ashland & several Forests.
    20200621_120920.jpg
    LM15, Comrade Art, Mofrid and 4 others like this.
  6. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 9 (6/22) Our day off from riding, But 4 of us went for a short hop to the Crater Lake Visitor Center. Joel stayed at home to work on the route and over-night spots (to Corvallis Red Rally) 3 nights to get there (easy days riding) or 2 nights with more of harder riding, we opted for 3 easier rides. Spent the last part of day from lunch to dinner, sitting, talking, drinking beer. At evening bonfire the whisky & joints came out. No Sharing of bottles, nor doobies took place. Bill our host not going, but us 4 packing in the morning for a bit of a ride…

20200622_134519.jpg 20200622_134502.jpg 20200622_134428.jpg 20200622_121348.jpg 20200620_122850.jpg
    LM15, Charlie Dubh, Amphib and 6 others like this.
  7. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, have marked a few waypoints for future camping. Thanks.

8. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 10 (6-23) 250mi. Left Mofrid’s Cabin about 1015a. The 4 of us rode 250 miles east out of Oregons forests & snowy peaks. Got to Burns, on a local recommend, we went to “Jupiters BBQ” run by a Mennonite family. Was tasty, and the family/women & girls, that ran it were great. Then turned South to Crane Hot Springs to camp. Was about 90degrees at 5p as we built our tents. (well 3 tents, & 1 hammock sans trees) We shared a cold beer in the shade of Martins tarp. The Hot Springs were the big action, after dark. We all went for a great soak, impressive crushed lava rock, hot spouts, benches, showers, pool was about 50x70’. In bed by 10p
    20200623_211655.jpg

Morning shot of Joels AT from under the tent flap;
    20200624_051750.jpg
    sunrise at Crane HS
    20200623_211711.jpg
    Day 11 (6/24) 199mi. Left the awesome Crane Hot Sp CG, but now we are 3. Out was Marty, complaining of a shoulder pain, hoped that hot sp would help, but still had 1500 miles to get home. Spent most of the ride following the Payette River, and finally camped at a riverside CG. After setting up tents & hammock, Joel napped (again!) Dave & I took our H-Chairs into the rivers edge (40’ from our tents) Ahh that felt great. Drinking our first, second beers, sitting in the river. See Daves ADV salute….
    20200624_162821.jpg

Dave & I went to a dive-bar across the street, bunch of weird peeps there, ate or shrimp plates in the bar, a patron got up from her table & got us beers, told a worker later…

Beautiful sunset.

20200624_203954.jpg 20200624_203803.jpg
    LM15, Charlie Dubh, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  9. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Feel free to PM for more details if needed, Mike
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  10. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 12 (6/25) 138mi. Woke early (Idaho -1hr) at 5am, Eastbound, we have less then 250 miles today. Have another Hotspring CG reserved tonight. Dave has been great at research, stops, camps, & GPS. Made it to Challis Hot Springs, after a pizza lunch in Stanley. They had a (off-limits) 119deg pond, with steaming creeks lending a trippy feel. A large concrete lap pool for dipping, Bathrooms plumbed with hot water. (toilet!) The Campground was nice, on the (Salmon?) river, lots of rafters here. No hammock use when D asked while calling in reservation. Later nearby RV-ers had hammocks up without issue.
    20200625_161702.jpg

Day 13 (6/26) 165mi Was super wet with dew in AM, Took us a while to dry off, but a short drive ahead. From Challis Hot Springs we followed the Salmon River for a great couple hours, upstream, had breakfast, then rode the hour to get to Shady’s property. As we arrived there was about 20+ bikes/riders when we got there. Dave & I rode into backyard (partway) and set up tent/hammock. As afternoon continued, more riders came from all over the western US, #34 were there by dinnertime. Shady (last name), put on a huge BBQ dinner, Pork Loin on one BBQ (rotating) Ribs on a Smoker, Chicken in an Egg BBQ, he did quite a dance getting it ready. Plenty of beer & water for all.

To finish the evening Shady retired to the man-cave / garage with 3 neighbors for a rock performance, Shady on the drums, with a keyboard & Guitars, we sat out in the 4 car wide driveway, spread out.
    20200626_164112.jpg 20200626_164116.jpg 20200627_043726.jpg 20200626_154022.jpg 20200628_072231.jpg 20200627_203703.jpg
    Lots of interesting Bikes Like this Father & son from Texas with a pair of Honda Valerykies, one with trailer. This P/D BMW showed up one night
    LM15, Charlie Dubh, Mofrid and 2 others like this.
  11. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sunrise at Crane Springs was amazing, and thanks for not mentioning my ill advised dirt nap :imaposer
    MT Sunset springs copy.jpg

and a Mike salute from the Payette, which we later traded for the Salmon. It's tough to ride along amazing rivers on twisty roads, day after day.

MT mike river-1.jpg
    LM15, rudy4pl, Mofrid and 4 others like this.
  12. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 14 (6/27) Woke 530a, went for a shower (I was the 3rd!). Joel pressing for a big loop, but I told him that an hour out, then back was perfect for me. Rode to a nearby waterfall on a great forest road. Soon I waved gbye and returned back down the forest road. Nice! (except for burned trees) Returning to town I went to a Mexican restraunt for a lunch. Well in LA this place would fail, but the rednecks were stopping by every few min for takeout. Also found that Montana is a Medical, not Rec.Cannibus state.

Back to the ranch for a relaxing afternoon. Planning to leave in the AM, Dave helped me with a route & stops for the next 2 days. That route takes me thru the Lolo Pass, then down the Salmon River thru Hells Canyon.
    20200627_084316.jpg
    20200627_093114.jpg 20200627_094357.jpg 20200627_092208.jpg 20200627_092518.jpg

Day 15 (6/28) Left Corvallis MT about 1030a with Joel headed north towards Lolo Pass. Soon he will turn North, as I ride South down the Salmon. He hopes Canada will open. We had a good breakfast the restraunt had a Museam quality display of 20 lever-action rifles in cases along the wall. Joel continued thru the pass, before a U-turn, Waved Goodbye.

Rode about 2 hours in steady drizzle, finally stopping when became rain, hid out in a CG waited for rain to lessen. Ate a sandwich, read a couple chapters. Lots of camping spots all along the Salmon, places to put a raft into the river. When it was drizzling again I rode another 2 hours, and finally made camp in the drizzle, but was able to light a fire, and have a beer, before the rain put out the fire sent, and me to sleep. The river roared all night. It rained all night….
    20200628_121532.jpg 20200628_121554.jpg 20200628_153614.jpg
    20200628_171646.jpg

Attached Files:

LM15, Comrade Art, OneAUout and 5 others like this.
  13. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Some Beach likes this.
  14. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Day 16 (6/29) 460mi. Last night setup in a stealthy spot, Tent was 20‘ from the Salmon River (which was about 65’ across here). Rained all night, yuk! I was comfy, slept pretty good, packed my bags, inside my tent, put on the riding gear before finally going out into the rain. I hate to pack tent & s-bag wet, but what could I do? After 40 min. hit Salmon, Idaho, went into a trendy rafting shop, that had a coffee shop, for brekie. The rain poured down on the bike parked out front, my cinnamon roll & redeye did the trick.
    20200628_171718.jpg 20200630_105323.jpg 20200630_114600.jpg 20200629_183312.jpg 20200630_122931.jpg
    20200630_080021.jpg
    I woke in Idaho, went to sleep in CA (Alturas), passed Oregon for lunch. Left the rain behind me. The Oregon Scenic Byway, was a nice change. Checked into the Rim Rock Motel, while grabbing Pizza, left my s-bag & tent drying in a heated room for an hour or so.

20200629_201923.jpg

Day 17 (6/30) 368mi. Woke in Alturas, Cute Vintage Motel from the 50s, Chairs out front of rooms for k-back. Kereug coffee in room. Really cute place, took my time, with a chain adjust & lube. Packed the bike, headed South on 395, but at far end of town, with open road ahead, I notices a lone GS sitting in front of, wait… a Starbucks, had a delicious scone & redeye, yeah. The 70ish GS850A rider, was as expected, shiny & on a day trip…

Beautiful day riding down 395, while the last 10 days of group riding has been great. Now I can stop whenever I wish, photo of that old barn, stop to stretch, to buy (lube, flower, beer), or just take a leak is nice. Yesterday had lunch at a Claim Jumper in Burns (methinks) spur of the moment. Rode over 350 mi on CA’s 395, just as sweet as Oregons 395 was yesterday. Ended at Mammoth Lakes yep Motel 6. Great location to walk to dinner & stores. In town, bought a great CBD salve at a specialty-dispensary for the 2nd time, it worked great for wife & I. Sat and watched the news and decided that the world is even crazier then when I started.

20200701_110743.jpg 20200701_074723.jpg
    LM15, veriest1, twowings and 4 others like this.
  15. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent!!!
  16. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    20200630_123825.jpg 20200630_123635.jpg 20200630_123914.jpg (on the way from Alturas)

20200701_113929.jpg 20200701_125003.jpg 20200701_113939.jpg

Day 18 (7/1) 124mi. Woke to no coffee (COVID) at Motel 6, so I walked across the main drag to Schatts Bakery for a sugar & caffeine fix. My ride today was going to be short. First I’ll go to Coyote Flats outside of Bishop, see if passable & camp able. That will be short (60mi) or Alabama Hills are about 110 miles away. Decided to have a sit-down meal at a Fav restaurant,” The Stove”, so before checking out I went to Market , ATM, and the Stove. Then ret’d to Motel, packed, & left at 11a. Bishop & Coyote Flats CG my next destination. Still warming up I had all vents open on Jacket & pants. Found my way to Coyote Flat Rd. headed into the desert & mountains. About 40 min on a nice dirt highway a sign posted about “Severe 4X4 Conditions” ahead. Well I can always stop & turn-around, right? Truly I went another 100yds, road was trenched & huge potholes, (made when mudded out), maybe with another rider I might of tried to go farther, but I U-turned with difficulty, and headed back to Bishop & the 395. Lone Pine was about 60 miles south, Alabama Hills my destination. Previously, my camping there with Wife, Son, and solo, has always been great. Last year I read about a Campground on the way to MT Whitney Portal, right in area, thought I’d give it a look. Tuttle Creek CG actually has a creek running thru camp, but little shade. #80 sites spread over a big area. 3 lg. loops. Found a site I liked (3) ret’d to kiosk for fee, and site receipt, rode back to my site to set-up in the afternoon heat. The views were stupendous, The Sierra (& Whitney) on one side, Alabama Hills on the other, never get tired of those Stars.

20200701_202209.jpg

Day 19 (7/2) Thinking maybe my last day before returning home (always planned/wanted to be off Highway & out of CGs by July 4th)

The Whitney Portal area was really nice when my son & I had done a 4WD/Moto camping & off-road trip there in 2018, but in fall 2019 was closed when I took the wife to see it while camping in AHills area. Stocked with a salad, & drinks (LonePineMarket) headed to the Whitney Portal, found road open, campgrounds all closed, but day use are open. Huge waterfall from Whitney is roaring 50 yds. away, small amount of people & cars. Only Trail-head & Day-use so a lot less crowed then in 2018, peeps dipping into the pond, I’m sitting at a table in the shade for lunch & an hour or so of Kicking-back. Nice Tall Bud Light, and a good salad with appetizer lets made that a couple hours, nice & cool up here. Read a bit, about 2p headed back down for some off-road desert roads across the AH Rec Area. Finding my way to campsites across valley & going down fast desert roads my goal. Spent a nice hour or two blasting (not that fast) across desert, have had no dirt naps (besides tip-over) want to keep this trip accident free if possible. So I shifted down to 2nd, even though the Halfrica felt really stable (rear luggage) at speed on the dirt. Tried to keep it to 2nd & 3rd gears. The new K60-Snow tire worked as well as the E07 plus used at year end. Found one campsite that my son & I had liked, but as I wound into the rocks, found a Subaru there, Oh well, lots of sites. Plan is to find a site & set up tent to hold it, head into town for Dinner & buy an evening beer for camp. Found a nice (big loop) and set-up tend off to one side, sharing a likelihood for a spot that could hold 5 Jeeps & their peeps.

After changing out of Boots & riding gear, I Kicked back for a while, thinking to take a pic of today’s mileage stats on the Delorme. Only problem, while the Delorme was still attached to its mount on the dash, my phones mount was empty! Sent a Delorme text to wife, telling her to call phone, no ring, and nada. Oh Shit, I quickly looked around, sunset in 30 min, nothing! Put the pants & boots back on for a search ride the 20 min back to market & diner. Light colored sand makes for an easier spotting of a phone, but an hour later I’d retraced my steps, talked to server at restaurant, & cashier at market. Nothing! I retd to camp looking again at road with my lamps blazing. Bummer, all my pics & notes form this trip. Then I started thinking of all the phone #s for tenants & property related contacts. While thinking about so much data lost (my pics!) was really bummed, even the killer starry view, did not help. Was almost 10p and drivers kept coming into my loop to explore for campsites, then turning out to explore further. Finally realized that I need a bit of good karma, and while watching a family try to fit their Cherokee into a non-level small spot on the trail in, wife was guiding husb by flashlight trying to level truck (roof-top tent), So I flashed then with my flashlight, and told them space over there (50’ away) was fine & level, (with a view). They moved right over to a more obvious spot (level) thanking me. Had a poor night thinking of my lost data, trying to tell myself, at least was not a more serious breakdown or accident, on or off-road. Only a phone!....

Attached Files:

LM15, Cal, NSFW and 4 others like this.
  17. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    20200702_083250.jpg 20200702_122859.jpg

Day 20 (7/3) Woke, bummed. Gonna head home taking the same route out to look for phone once again. GPS-texted my wife to call phone again this AM 3x. 1st time no-answer she said. Soon I was packed, and leaving Alabama Hills, I turned to ride south on the 395, but not gas at that end of town, so I rode to north end of town & filled-up. While sitting there the Delorme dinged was my son telling me that my wife had contact with phone & finders, they were waiting at Subway (less than a mile from me!)

Found a couple of ADV-Bikers waiting in the shade of the LP Market, Unbelievable, I had my phone back, we had passed & waved to each other during the days off-roading. They said found it in evening last night, I must have just missed them when searching.

But while jazzed at having the phone, realized that I was still homewards bound. Maybe Sequoia? Right off the 395 past Olancha (9 mile canyon) But as I rode south, I realized that chain was still on its last legs, have had a great ride so far, 20 days on the road, about 4000 miles, 2 tires worn, chain & sprockets gone (replacements ordered in Alturas at Motel, sitting out front of my room) the new ones will be in Downey soon.

The rest of my ride home, fine, but warm, arrived in Downey at home in afternoon, the CoVid pandemic still gripping my Wife, MIL, SIL who were all in my backyard when I arrived. MIL & SIL left pretty quick, with MIL asking about “How Many People Were At the Rally??” They had already decided I was not responsible, (even riding solo helmet on).

Back to the real (crazy) world, guess I should of turned north with Joel. Now to clean all the gear.

some highlites:

20200616_075222.jpg 20200614_090650.jpg 20200616_110210.jpg 20200618_121524.jpg 20200617_103702.jpg 20200625_154717.jpg

Attached Files:

LM15, CoopsDL, OneAUout and 12 others like this.
  18. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in specific camping or route details, GPS coordinates, PM me

Thx for taking the time to follow this RR.

Mike B
  19. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice !! Thanks for sharing :thumb
  20. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Great trip Mike. Glad you were able to take it and share it with us.