Halloween Ride - Jim Thorpe Style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Last minute cell phone calls arrange a starting time and place for today's ride to ... I don't know, does it matter?

Lunch time yesterday, I've no riding plans for today yet. E-gads, what to do?? Just then, the mobile rings, "BUDDYPAL!!" Wheels begin slowly spinning towards a rare late October Sunday near 70 degree adventure ride in eastern Pennsylvania. Three words couldn't be clearer, "Matto's at 9:00". It's code for great riding is in store.

The end of daylight savings time brings with it an extra hour of sleep, for some. I'm up and getting ready to go. I'm pulling into Pottsville, PA, at least 30 minutes early. There's plenty to do to burn time around here.

Pottsville, PA
    [​IMG]

1stiski rolls into the Matto's parking lot. There's a problem, Jim Thorpe Dave has a customer and may not be able to make it. A quick call and JT Dave is good for a half day. We agree to meet half way between here and there, which would be Tamaqua, PA. Off we go.
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    In Tamaqua, now 3 riders strong and without a plan, which way to go. There's trail riding is all directions. Northwest is today's destination of choice.

I've been on that mountain once or twice myself, but the guys always come through with a trail I've never been on, and this one is a dusey. I would have liked to stop for shots on the way up, but its pretty technical and there's no stopping those two ahead of me. Once at the top, we choose the low road west, onto trails new to all of us.

We're riding through a vast expanse of reclaimed strip mines. It's quite foreign to us, we're typically riding beneath oaks and pines.

Reclaimed mine grasslands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easy stone/gravel roads.
    [​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We've reached the end of the reclaimation area and stumbled in to some abandoned strip mines. This one has water rushing down the bare faced rock.

Waterfall.
    [​IMG]

I think this shot is a great candidate for a caption contest. I'll start with, my left foot.
    [​IMG]

Antique mining equipment.
    [​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    When riding around in these old mining areas, you really have to be careful that you don't ride right off the edge and straight into one of these coal holes.

Coal hole.
    [​IMG]

We found this lemonade stand in the most unusual place.
    [​IMG]

Be careful where you step there JT Dave, it's a long way down!
    [​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    There sure is a lot of powerlines crisscrossing the mountains up here. We sure do love following them!

Powerline trails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, you guys are brothers?? No........YES!!!!!
    [​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    More trail shots.

Bark was worse than the bite.
    [​IMG]

Hey, wasn't there three of us the last time we stopped?? Go back and see what's up with 1stiski. JT Dave on the move.
    [​IMG]

We spent a lot of time looking at this rocky hill. No one felt like being a superhero today. We turned back.
    [​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Sometimes we ride pipeline trails too.
    [​IMG]

Tree down over the trail. JT Dave stuck in the leaves and mud.
    [​IMG]

Thank god the cell phone tower guys like to put these giant antennae on the top of mountains and then carve access roads to them.
    [​IMG]
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Back to where we started, we're heading down the trail from this morning. I run down ahead and set up for some action shots.
    [​IMG]

JT Dave
    [​IMG]

1stiski
    [​IMG]
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    What kind of Adventure ride would it be without FOOD!

All lined up, take me to your waiter!
    [​IMG]

A nice salad.
    [​IMG]

And, PIZZA!! What else could have been???
    [​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    JT Dave heads for home after lunch. 1stiski and I head towards home, with a little exploring on the side. Unfortunately, all we find are dead ends.

Bikes
    [​IMG]

Sure, I think there's a road up there. You go first, I'll be right behind you.
    [​IMG]
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We eventually split up and head our separate ways.

Scraping down one of my favorite twisty roads, I round a turn to find this in my way. I was in full control of my scoot and quickly came to a stop, much to the relief of this milk tanker driver.
    [​IMG]

I took a turn through the Weiser State Forest in Port Clinton, PA on the way home. I'd like to send out a "Yo!" to the 1200 GS rider I passed in there.

And, I'm spent!
  12. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    And once again TZ a great report. I just wish I could have been out for the whole day. I was not ready to head home and start working. More riding ahead and lots of fun to be had by all. :D
  13. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a blast, I have to get up that way and explore.
  14. crashman1400

crashman1400 Bullfrog dual-sport

Oddometer:
    Looks like I missed a good time, but I wasn't out of it completely. Hooked up with Chris from Hermy's on Sunday afternoon. I was actually out on a twisties street ride with a couple of friends of mine when this dude nearly runs us off the road with a GS!!!! :huh And we're on sport bikes mind you!! :eek1 I knew that could only be one person and I was right. :super

Put in over 350 miles yesterday. Ton of fun, but not quite as much as you had, though I did do a little offroading myself.... it wasn't intentional. No wreck, just a little misjudgement of a turn. :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 Bounced the bike around a little bit, but it was a breeze after all the time I've spent of road lately. :thumb