Halvarssons Safety Jacket - First Impressions (long, lots and lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by makinwaves, Feb 25, 2007.

1. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    i think the protectors were the best perhaps6-7 years ago - these days the best i come across is BMW NP protector. guess those long loop of hi-art stuff must help to protect the threads - impressive that none got torn.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Except the NP armor gets rock hard in the cold. Halvarssons stay nice & pliable.
  3. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    true- they are hard when cold - but once on the body, within 5 minutes they are soft and mold to my body and stay in that shape - halvarssons are soft but it does not mold to your body - Perhaps when i ride, it seldom gets to 5 c even in winter - so that might be a factor
  4. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    K0m4 - great to see the pics of the gear and how well it held up. It's nice to know that real world tests support the ratings Halvarsson has received with this gear. And definitely that you walked away from it all with nothing more than a small bruise and tenderness! Keep us updated on what happens if you send the gear for repair.
  5. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is right. I just got back home last night after 2300 kms in two days and the chafing on my knee is there since the protectors don't mold to your body. That's not even a consideration I've had before actually - protectors are to protect, and I've never thought of the comfort. But if that could be combined without compromising the protection, then that would be a better one.
  6. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a problem I have come across with my Halvarrsons gear. Did you know the armour position can be adjusted if it is not quite sitting tight ?
  7. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my problem is that I'm too damn tall :lol3 Actually if it turns out I'll need to get new pants I'll probably go for size 54, and hope I can adjust it for fit around the girth instead. I saw just before this ride that the 52 size is made for up to 184 cm tall ppl, and I am at 186, so the pants are probably just that much too short that it creates a pressure point on my knee when angled. A problem I have with almost all gear I try. It's only really a problem on long distances (in excess of a 1000 kms).

I'll have another look at the pants though for the adjustments - how are they made? Maybe that'll be good enough.

Btw, how did it look with your stock? :-)
  8. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I should update: Jofama can fix it all they say: replace the strip of fabric on the safety pants, and replace the knee section on the shell. This tells me that the safety pants are good to use from the safety point of view, so I won't do anything to them (you don't see the damage anyway when you wear a shell).

Since I don't live in Sweden, I'll just use the black parts of the jacket, which is beyond repair anyway, to patch the knee up myself with seamseal or something rather than ship it back and forth.
  9. erda

erda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after a bit over a year of wearing my Halvarsson safety suit here is my report.

I'm not at all happy with the quality of the zippers, snaps, and sewing on the suit.

I've had the zipper that joins the safety jacket to the safety pants start to pull out of the jacket; the Passad pants zipper came apart; most of the snaps used to secure the outer jacket and pants to the safety jacket/pants have broken; zipper pulls on the Hella jacket have broken; Hella jacket has waterproof pockets-they fill with water when it rains and the rain doesn't leak out:eek1; the Plexi waterproof pants aren't; some stitching on the Passad pants is coming undone.

So, where does that leave me? The investment in Halvarsson was substantial and I hate to just have it hang out in the closet. I'm thinking maybe a Darien light jacket and pant to go over the safety suit.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kind of regret selling my Level 2 jacket off. This is the route I would've gone...
  11. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear that Erda. After 5 years of wearing my jacket, almost daily, I've only had one zipper or snap problem. A portion of the zipper pull on my winter outer layer, on the sleeve, broke. Still useable though. Haven't had any of the other problems you mention either. Maybe you got a lemon? Have you tried contacting Halvarssons to see if they will fix or rectify the situation?
  12. erda

erda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading out for a 3 day trip through Kananaskis, Banff, and Jasper. When I get back, I'll contact Halvarsson. Not sure how feasible it is to ship to Sweden from Canada for those repairs though.
  13. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just back yesterday from a longer ride spanning two days, and it seems to exactly make the difference. I still have pressure on my knee, but not to the point where it begins chafing. Thanks for the tip!

They are pretty cooperative, at least in my contacts. I would not put it past them that they would simply send you new gear for all those problems.
  14. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6'1'', 39-40in chest, 31-32in waist. Skinny with long arms (36in? That's what my dress shirts say, anyway).

About to pull the trigger on a EU50 size jacket, one size bigger than what Biker-land suggested. Not sure if the pants are worth it yet.

Apparently, Halvarssons' sizing chart goes like so ("typical" height being given just for reference):

56: chest 108-112, waist 96-100, height 182-188
    54: chest 104-108, waist 92-96, height 180-186
    52: chest 100-104, waist 88-92, height 177-184
    50: chest 96-100, waist 84-88, height 176-182
    48: chest 92-96, waist 80-84, height 174-180

Ordering same size for inner and outer. (Apparently, someone used a combination of 50 inner/52 outer to overcome an issue with shorter sleeves before.) Will be posting results in a few weeks, hopefully....
  15. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what its worth, I also have long arms and found the Halvarssons to be nice and long in the arms. I usually had to buy a size larger in jackets to get the sleeve length. I would think EU50 should be about right, based on my experience with my EU56 (44-45" chest).
  16. spurfan15

spurfan15 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while, just taking in some of the information on here, particularly in this thread. I think I'm pretty close to buying some of the Halvarssons Safety gear at this point. The jacket seems like a pretty easy decision for me. I like that it can be worn with the Halvarssons liners, or with jackets I already own. The pants are where I'm a little uncertain.

I already noticed that while most everyone was very satisfied with the jacket, a few members were less impressed by the pants. Now what I'd like to do, since I'm going to be commuting to/from work, is wear the liner, and generally wear jeans or waterproof pants over the safety liner. What I'm concerned about is how the safety pants will stay up. A Halvarssons rep told me the safety pants do not zip to the safety jacket directly, rather you can attach an outer liner to the pants, and then attach the outer liner to the safety jacket. So my question is if I'm wearing only the Halvarssons safety jacket and pants, and then my own jacket and jeans over them, will the pants actually stay securely fastened? Or is this something I should be concerned about.

I've also looked at the Clover Tekno jacket and pants, but they are significantly more expensive... around 1350 before shipping from Europe. Oh and I checked out the Motoport offering, too. Their stuff seems strong but looks pretty absurd.

EDIT: I found that motorama.it sells the Clover Tekno WP and I can get the jacket and pants for around 1015 before shipping. I think that puts that combo into the mix for me, as the Halvarssons combo is around 800, but adding the jacket or pants covers for Halvarssons would push the price up to about the same. The Clover stuff sure looks like incredibly well constructed gear.
  17. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to shoot the Halvarrsons rep .................I am 99.9% certain that the safety jacket inner zips to the safety jacket pants (not the liner) . Can check in the morning ...................
  18. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hi! I take the occasion to post for the first time too!, I've been lurking for a lot time, but I have to start somewhere! I bought both the jacket lv1 ( and overjacket folio and mesh I think ) and the pants ( which I haven't tried yet, apart from the measurement ). I don't think you can wear jeans over the safety liner, as it's already a little bulky. Maybe if you have some loose jeans it could go. ( Maybe you have already tried, it works, and I'm wrong! ). But I think it could be too hot apart from the winter.
    I don't have the time to check for the zip, I'll let you know when I can do that! As I said I didn't try them yet so I don't know how the zip works!

ps. sorry for the typos or grammar, I'm not used to post in english as it's not my first language, I have to do a lot of training! : P
  19. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    It's correct the pants does NOT directly zips to the jacket - the halvassions engineer design was meant for:

1) Safety Pants to zip into a outer pants, and safety jacket to zip into an outer jacket;

2) the outer jacket zip to outer pants

you can ensure the safety pant stay up by using some pants strap (not standard) and use the supplied crotch strap on the jacket to ensure they dont fly up. OR you can get sew a zipper into the safety jacket and pants yourself to zip them up
  20. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This actually works too. Actually, I wonder if the suspenders that come with the shell pants wouldn't zip onto the safety pants - I'm not at home now to have a look.

They're fairly snug to begin with though, so they tend to stay up anyway.