Halvarssons Safety Jacket - First Impressions (long, lots and lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by makinwaves, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  2. maikhoepfel

maikhoepfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just at Motorcycle Live in Birmingham, and Halvarsson and their other brands are definitely going strong. They had a big stand there. But no sign of the safety jacket! I think it's not selling very well (at least in the UK), people don't seem to care about the safety aspects too much. I spoke to quite a few people trying to get mine, and that was the usual feedback. A shame, really. It's a great product, and I'm loving mine.

I'm sold on the two- (or three) layer concept, and haven't seen anything similar apart from Touratech's version.
  3. dragos

Oddometer:
    Macna has a similar concept (TwinShell), with a number of jackets. One of them is actually a leather combination, but there are also vented ones (like Touratech).
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-men-s-chameleon-motorcycle-jacket
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-men-s-chili-motorcycle-jacket
    http://www.scooterlife.eu/en/shop/m...ther_pants_with_twin_shell_membrane_200000063
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/mc_tested/122_1212_macna_chameleon_jacket/
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/04/five-fast-facts-macna-chameleon-jacket/
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not Touratech that is so special or revolutionary. Stadler has had the EVO line for years. 3 versions currently, with the Companero only one of them. The Companero is a Stadler product with Touratech on the label.
  5. maikhoepfel

maikhoepfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't saying the Companero is good (or bad), sorry if it came across that way. Just that it was the only other one I was aware of.

@dragos: Oh, that looks interesting. I generally quite the feel of leather gear, so I might look into that for pants. Thanks! I never got the Safety Pants because they're rather bulky.
  6. dragos

Oddometer:
    Actually their Vision line is in the same vein. The GoreTex membrane jacket is lighter and can be worn either inside or outside the main jacket. The difference is that in the Evo line the waterproof jacket is laminate (ProShell), meant to be always external.
    (I just spent half a day at a Stadler dealer last week).
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. They're an innovative company for sure.
  8. dragos

Oddometer:
  9. deaf1

deaf1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. VSK

VSK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread has been quiet so thought a revival was in order.

I own two versions of the safety jacket - the Level 2 purchased about 4 years ago while I was still in Europe. Bought Level 1 within a year of buyer L2 when I lost about 20 pounds and found it at a deeply discount price from a store going out of business. Have about 4 different shells (two for each size) that I have used over the years.

I was giving the safety series some more thought as I was posting on another thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23779314). Thought I would elaborate a little more on this thread.

This is still the heaviest jacket I own, and the Atlantis 4 is not a lightweight by any means. But its not 'bulky' once you are all zipped up and all straps have been tightened etc. I have considered changing the armour with something lighter weight but not sure its worth the money and whether it will make a noticeable difference in the weight.

One of the things that I was worried was whether the management of multiple layers would be make this arrangement cumbersome. I have gotten used to it and actually even prefer it. Its quite sensible - the protective shell which is what you care about the most and costs the most money is a single layer that you invest in upfront. The shells can be added depending on your riding needs and you dont even necessarily need to stick to the shells sold by Halvarrsons if you dont care to zip them into the Hi-Art base. In fact, a lot of times I just throw my shells on without zipping in them in.

I use this almost in all weathers other than short day rides in the middle of summer. However, if I am covering longer distances and I know I am going to be moving, then the fully vented shell is awesome to keep you cool even the hottest temps. Swap it with the waterproof shell for rain (can be done without take the main Hi-Art layer off) or cooler temps when weather changes. Beats carrying two jackets on the same trip.

As most would agree, its hard to say what happens in a crash. You hear of people being fine in shirt/jeans combos, and get beat up while wearing [insert expensive brand] gear. I also am naturally skeptical of claims made my companies without independent testing. While word of mouth, and real life examples help, I am a sucker for ratings and certifications. And this jacket gives me that (L2 and L1) at a very good price point.

So price, safety certification, versatility.....all make this one of my best buys.

Its a pity they dont make the L2 any more. My L2 is size 50 while my L1 is size 48. Since L1 fits me better, thats the one I have used extensively for the last 2 years. The L2 sits in the closet for the inevitable weight gain. Would be willing to trade it with someone with a size 48 L2 that needs a bigger size. Or consider selling it if I come across something else.....

Curious to know how others who bought this jacket think after several years of ownership.
  11. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I certainly remain happy with it. Last summer I did a 8000 km trip with it, and the changeable outers are its best feature (aside from the protection obviously - my experience with crashing is a few pages back in this thread). I feel I can really trust it.

My only problem was coming back to my bike last weekend after winter storage - I live in another country than where my bike stands in an open garage, so I store the gear in the panniers... :-) yes, yes, not ideal, but it's the only way that works for me. Unfortunately I had not made sure it was completely dry before locking it up last fall, and the pants had a... funky smell.. I didn't have time to wash it, so I'm still reeeally hoping it'll wash out!
  12. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine Safety L2 for almost 3 yrs and 35,000 km of riding ind all kinds of weather, on and off road... and I love the hell out of that suit, the waterproof outer shell its already showing signs of its age... but the inner layer is as good as new!

As the pants are not designed to go with enduro boots they are starting to come undone in the lower part, a new outer shell is in the horizon for me..

Sure its heavy and can get really hot when the time comes to start pushing bikes in the mud, but I like the halvarssons over the much lighter Clover Tekno WP which I've borrowed from my wife twice. For mostly dirt rides I use some Klim pants with knee braces and padded underpants, but that set up does not feel as dafe as the halvarssons..