Ham Radio: How to carry?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Stephen, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CQ, CQ, KD5SSU.

I like to carry my Yaesu dualband HT with me when I travel. I've been just stuffing it in the fanny pack, but there must be a better way.

On my person, I'm concerned that a spill will mash it and damage me. In a pannier or in the little Otterbox bolted to the tail rack of the KLR, I'm concerned that vibration will kill it.

I'm thinkin' a little padded Otterbox in the Ortlieb duffle on the pillion might be as good as I can do. It would be handy there. I only intend to use it when I stop--on this trip, but in the future I'd like to rig an earphone/PTT mike, as I'll actually be traveling with other hams.

Ideas??

73 for now, KD5SSU clear.
  2. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
  3. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have my GMRS radio in a waistpack that I attach around my handlebars and plug into my PTT switch. Easy to detatch and bring along when I stop and out of the way when I ride. You might try that.
  4. bmwgs

bmwgs Prozac is my friend

Oddometer:
    I usually take a VX5R with me and put it in a small padded camera bag. It holds just about everything and I've had no problems.

I use the same trick for when I'm carrying my iPaq and it has no problems either.

I've found that some of the best padded cases come from roadwired, I'm using the POD to carry the iPaq.

73's

KA6PFE

Brian
  5. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about using it on the bike, on the move?

Any suggestions re a suitable earphone/mic to mount in one's helmet??

Glenn
    VK4DU