Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. BiGR Rich

BiGR Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the Yukon UQ have loops along the side for the Hennessy tie outs?

I have a couple JRB quilts, and the side loops help to hold it up against my Hennessy. But my 0° quilt seems to sag due to the extra weight..... I've thought about getting some shock cord and running it above the ridgeline, pulling up on the unused loops on the quilt.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received a snugpak UQ for Xmas. Anyone used one? I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet.
  3. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent more to get a good UQ from Hammock Gear, it was necessary due to my allergy - I'm allergic to discomfort!
    I can sleep all night long on a diagonal with my UQ having no problem keeping my butt warm.
    I know that the cheap UQs are tempting due to costing so much less, but I feel that paying a bit more for comfort is very much worth it.
    docwells7, Nickhob and sprouty115 like this.
  4. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't really cheap out on an underquilt. The only way to cut cost there is to build your own.
  5. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys I'm cross posting this here for tent people that are looking at hammocks as an option. Wanted to share my packing experience with my hammock set-up versus tent/bivy sack in regards to pack-able size.
    ==============================

In response to a query stating tents and hammocks pack fairly similiar:

You mention that hammocks and tents are comparable weight, this is correct usually. However this usually does not include the sleeping pad which is a huge variable. The fact is one needs to compare complete sleep systems. A tent requires a pad, cot or something else to sleep on top of in the tent. The hammock does not IF using a bottom quilt. This allows the complete hammock system to pack a lot smaller than a tent even with a lightweight pad.

Case in point. Here is my double layer Warbonnet Blackbird, not the smallest nor lightest system as its double layer.

[​IMG]

and here packed into a stuff sack. Included in the stuff sack is the tarp, both upper and under quilts, all the straps, webbing and suspension. Basically everything needed for me to set-up and sleep come rain or shine.

[​IMG]

measures 9 inches tall

[​IMG]

by 9 inches wide.

Now here in comparison is my Army issue Gore-Tex bivy sack and the smallest pad they make, the Thermarest Neo-Air, size small.

[​IMG]

This obviously packs smaller than a tent and fly, even a 1 man.

Here it is in another compression sack.

[​IMG]

At a little over 8 inches long, roughly an inch shorter than my complete hammock set-up.

[​IMG]

Width is 6 1/2 inches wide versus the nine inches wide hammock.

Keep in mind the above bivy sack pics does not even include the top quilt that i use as it is being used by a friend this week. If the down quilt was included the measurements would be even closer. So by giving up the comfort of the hammock, tarp and quilts in exchange for a bare bones Bivy sack with no zippers or hoops and a size small Thermorest Neo Air pad I would save roughly 1 inch in length and 2 1/2 inches in width. It would be even closer again with the top quilt packed. Now imagine if instead of the Goretex Bivy we used a 1 man tent and tent fly!!! Add poles and you get the idea. In all fairness I believe a hammock set-up when using quilts packs significantly smaller than a tent and pad.

I've always try to keep my packing to a minimum and I have found the hammocks save me greatly in packed space. I can set-up my hammock, tarp and quilts in about 8 minutes.

The caveat is you have to be able to utilize a hammock as they are a different breed of fish and take a bit of learning and figuring out compared to a tent and pad which is familiar to most people.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
  6. Trust

Trust but verify

Oddometer:
    No dedicated loops. Reading some diy uq plans for the Hennessey, they mention that and I think I'll try it. Thanks!
  7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    For quick and dirty to test out your application, a couple binder clips with elastic hair ties.
  8. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Koolranch likes this.
  9. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hennessey with arrowhead underquilt

[​IMG]
    FarmerKeith likes this.
  10. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @misterk How do you like the Arrowhead underquilt? I'm a relatively new hammock camper and need some bottom insulation. I was considering the Hennessy Supershelter to pair up with my Expedition Asym but am leaning more towards an underquilt. The underquilt options are overwhelming. I'm spending too much time in Hammockforums.
  11. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    For you underquilt project folks- my Hammockgear has shock cord that runs full length along the edge, plus the loops to match my hammock's. This allows temp control by cinching it up tight with the shock cord or loosening it enough for some air exchange.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  12. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the arrowhead, I got the 4 season. Fits the hh
    Cvilledustin likes this.
  13. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great underquilt. Did a lot of research before I bought and have been very happy with it.
  14. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I got one for Christmas too. I have tried it a couple of times in the woods behind my house, and my impression is that it will do the trick for me down to at least the upper 20's when paired with a 20 degree down bag in my WB Blackbird. I think it will be fine with a lighter bag down into the 30's.

image.jpeg
  15. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I still haven't been able to get out and try it out. The GF and I been having it rough lately.Her father spent two months straight in the hospital before passing away a week ago. Plus I keep getting held on on finish building my shop. I just can't find any good help. My kids are useless. I love'em anyway.
  16. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your troubles. I hope things look up soon and you can get some much needed helmet and hang time.

I got the Snugpak jungle bag too, so I'll try them together when the weather is more mild.
    ben2go likes this.
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm going to look into the jungle bag. I usually use a surplus bag liner or a cheap polyfil blanket as my top quilt.
  18. Trust

Trust but verify

Oddometer:
    I used one in a mountainous sub-tropical zone just before monsoon season. I found it quite right, paired with a light blanket for colder nights, and an inflatable underneath me.
    ben2go and uintamts like this.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dolly Sod likes this.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And with Simply Light Designs winter Haven tarp. Jared at Simply Light Designs is amazing to work with. He's a one man show that specializes in custom work, fast turn around and great customer service. I've bought two things from him now, and both times, I had them in my hands 3 days later, and that includes build time, since he does everything to order. The guy rocks and this tarp is a work of art.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    sprouty115, BiGR Rich and Dolly Sod like this.