Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hammock gear has a new line of quilts for a epic price
    The ecno line
    Check them out
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HarveyM and gots_a_sol like this.
  2. Steviebear

Steviebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Thermarest hammock house yet? It seems like a deal, hammock with bug screen, fly with guy lines and stakes and hanging straps all included for $200. I work at an outdoor store and I'm tempted to try it just because I can get a deal on one, even though I think I would prefer a tent to a hammock.
    Anyone try one yet? It's still pretty new and online reviews are hard to find.
  3. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
  4. Mac Ka

Mac Ka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not sure if this is relevant here, but if any guys are from Europe reading this and want a 'local' supplier, take a look at DD hammocks from Scotland. This hammock has a twin skin base (to insert an insulator pad / thermorest) and it's waterproof so the entire hammock and bug net can be used as a tent (under a tarp). They do tarps with multi tie down points / underquilts which have full length shock chord adjusters / ropes and lines and a hammock type for all. DD hammocks have a youtube channel to help you out too.
    20170606_142347.jpg 20170606_063014.jpg 20170606_142337.jpg 20170605_181045.jpg
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  5. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I just got a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as an early Father's Day gift. It replaces my regular Blackbird. I could make do in the regular Blackbird, but at 6'2" I was pushing it. The extra space of the XLC makes a noticeable difference.

The XLC came equipped with whoopie slings. They work fine, but I decided I prefer the standard straps with cinch buckles and swapped suspensions with my regular Blackbird.
    docwells7, Maggot12 and Dolly Sod like this.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I am curious

How does that winter haven tarp compare to the warbonnet superfly?

I will own something like this, I'm just not sure about the minutia
  7. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    ^ I'd invest in one of those lightweight rain flies if I were backpacking and had to carry it, but for motocamping, I'm quite happy with my inexpensive Kelty Noah 12.

On another note, can anyone recommend some campsites in New Hampshire or Maine that are particularly awesome for hammocking?
    drbike likes this.
  8. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't throw a ball and not hit a tree in either state. Pick a campsite and have at it.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I backpack too

I want to use it in both scenarios

also the bulk of the kelty 9 and 12 that I have been carrying for a LONG time is quite a large volume

They are solid and reliable tarps for sure
    but I want something that packs smaller

10. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    True. I've camped extensively in NH, and it's hard to go wrong, but I am hoping for suggestions for especially awesome hanging spots.
  11. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Fastest tarp/hammock deployment if weight/cost no issue?

Sometimes I need to be able to set everything up uberfast and I've imagined a product that I wonder if it exists: something like a retractable, ratcheting pulley? Kind of like that deal that winds your vacuum sweeper hose up but is strong?
    For my tarp I'd have (6) total; 4 at each corner and at each of the end line. You'd just pull the end of the zinger line hanging out pull out what you needed, crank it down and flip a locking switch?
  12. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fastest tarp setup/deployment?
    I have a Kelty Noah 12, in tarp skins($1 shower scrunchies), in a double ended stuff sack. The tarp is rigged with a continuous ridgeline. Adjustable guy lines are looped onto 4 of my tie outs. Simple, fast, and I can quickly change my setup for conditions.
    https://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/video-using-continuous-ridge-lines-with-a-tarp/
    ben2go likes this.
  13. BiGR Rich

BiGR Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricky, have you looked at Dutchware? He makes titanium bits for hammocks & tarps. With a couple Wasps on the tarp ridgeline, along with some Fleas on the guys, you can have a tarp setup as fast as you walk to each end.

I use whoopie slings with straps on the trees - so there might be a faster way to set up a hammock..... I just don't know it.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Only so quick you can make it.. the hammock and tarp maker wouldn't matter. It's how this stuff gets hung from the trees.

My thing is to get the tarp deployed first, and fast if raining.

I can be under cover in a minute or so. But fine tuning the tarp tie outs and getting the hammock setup takes another few.
    grandelatte likes this.
  15. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my hammock and bugnet and superfly
    Outfitted with dutch bling
    I use one piece snake skin
    And a dutch 11' wide hammock and a fronkey style bugnet
    And cinch bug suspension
    Super fast setup
    And love the doors
    [​IMG]
    Slippers for reference
    [​IMG]
    I can deploy the tarp and break it down in about a minute
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty sleek setup
    Is the superfly in the snake
    Skin in that compression sack?

One think I noticed with my
    Kelly
    Tarp in a snake skin, is that in addition to being simpler and faster to set up ,It packs even bulkier haha
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The tarp poles are not in the bag...

I like the skins, but it does add a little bulk. Biggest negative, if using a small stuff sack, the skins are very slippery and finicky trying to stuff in.
  18. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use a stuff sack that's a little bigger, the the tarp will pack into the voids of your gear a little better as opposed to being compressed into the smallest shape possible. Just another way of doing it.
    Duckworth likes this.
  19. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I really want to like this hammock thing. I've tried 3 different hammocks, Hennesy Asym, Clarke Jungle Hammock and now a Amok Draumr. I can never fall asleep in them. The first time with the Hennesy I had it rigged to tight and I sure that is why I felt like a taco. But the Clarke I took my time and set it up properly, same with the Amok. I don't know if it's just sleeping in a different place than home. Or being a little uncomfortable sleeping in the great outdoors. I've slept decently in a tent before. If I go hammock camping now I just go one night, so I can collapse at home and sleep the next night without fear. I don't know if it's the inability to shift around easily or what. The Amok is terribly hard to change positions in, as compared to the Clarke which has a handle at least to gain some leverage.

I've tried sleeping pills, but they didn't help one bit. I been thinking maybe something to drink, but I am not a big drinker. And don't want to wake up with a hang over. But little to no sleep is no better.

I really enjoy the camping out. The set up of the site, getting the tarp and everything set up. I look forward to that as an end of the day ritual. And just relaxing at a campsite. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There aren't many reasons to want to hammock camp if you're not comfortable actually sleeping in the hammock. But if you really want to try to make it work you might consider a bridge style hammock. Much more open and a flatter lay.
    Dolly Sod likes this.