Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've found hammocks create polarizing attitudes. You either love them or hate them. They are not roomy like a tent, little space to flop around in ETC. Their primary upside is comfort. If you have tried multiple hang angles for your suspension and still cannot get comfortable for whatever reason , it just may not be for you. Once inside my hammock I feel like I'm in a womb and just nod off comfortably. Other friends that I've tried them cannot get used to them at all comma and despise the thought of crawling in to them . I've learned not to try and persuade anybody that attempt is inferior to a hammock period it's all personal choice and what feels best to the person that's utilizing it. Yes my hammock sets up easier and packs generally smaller than a tent however if one cannot sleep well in it I see no reason to utilize it as an option. Assuming of course , that you have made a valid effort, which it seems you have indeed.
    Maybe you just need stronger sleeping pills haha.
    What are the reasons that you deem you cannot sleep well in it? Crunched shoulders, knee pain , you prefer sleeping on your stomach Etc?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just gave my superfly and blackbird a quick run thru for the first time this year in the front yard. Both in snakeskins (mesh is better and easier to handle than the nylon). Both in their oem stuff sacks and then in a compression bag. Packs the same length as a size 9 crock and about twice as wide and high.
    I don't need to be this desperate to stuff them so tight though, and find it's easier to store them in the sidecases individually.

3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    This is true... although anywhere I sleep that's a little foreign no matter how comfortable, I don't sleep well for the first couple nights. Hotel, cottage, someone elses house, camping, etc.

May need to give the hammock a go a few times in the yard. But even then, it's not for everyone.

HarveyM likes this.
  4. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, it takes me a few nights to get work and other responsibilities out of my head. Give it a few nights in a row and maybe it will click.
    Duckworth likes this.
  5. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the superfly is in the skin
    Kelty is good tarp just bulky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few gathered ends and they aren't for me. My hammocktent.com gamma is incredibly comfortable. If you can find one, I recommend giving it a try.

Another thought though, since you've tried an amok. I have one of those too, that I need to sell. It's similar to the gamma, but not nearly as comfortable, and very pad dependent. For example, it SUCKS with a rei status pad. It's great with an exped synmat. The amok needs the pad for structure and it isn't as simple as using a pad with vertical baffles. Maybe, try another pad in that amok before completely giving up?
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO, most people that take the time to get them set up to their liking, love them like their child. OK, maybe not that good. Once the right set up is achived for the individual, it's easy to replicate over and over when setting up. Right now, I can set up my Hammock in just a couple minutes. Add in the tarp and it may take me five to ten minutes, depending on if I'm alone or talking smack with a group of inmates.

To me, if someone doesn't have the patients to find the right set up for them, then a tent and other sleeping devices is probably best for them.
  8. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I recently sold my Blackbird and got a Blackbird XLC. I've tried it around the house a couple of afternoons and love the extra length, as I was just a bit too tall for the regular Blackbird.

Taking it up into the White Mountains for a a couple of days tomorrow to really try it out.:clap
    docwells7 likes this.
  9. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I will try hammock camping again, not in the mood to quit with all the money invested. I'll just take along some bourbon next time for before bed. :D
    ben2go likes this.
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    My outdoor Vitals 6 sided tarp should arrive soon, at that point Ill decide if I can configure it like I want or if I need to upgrade to a warbonnet superfly.

and yes on the above discussion, a buddy asked to borrow tarp setup for a quick camping trip, I said sure but you need to spend some time with it in your yard, or come to my yard and lets play with it to try and give you a chance at success.

Taking the time to get it comfortable and convenient is a very person to person thing, I observe details of every hang I see to see what I can adopt, use or improve on.

Learning is good!
  11. Livestrom

Livestrom Life is short and the world is wide

Oddometer:
    Pic of my Hennessy Survivor hammock from a few weeks ago on my Cape Breton trip:[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    sprouty115 likes this.
  12. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:

Hang the foot end 10" higher than the head end.
    Duckworth likes this.
  13. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Whoa, that much huh?

I need to get a new tarp. Mine tore last trip. Hated that thing anyways.
  14. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I've been sleeping in a Cloudview for the last couple of months and really like it. As it's made for more lounging with the head raised it's necessary to lower the head end significantly and hang pretty taut. Best bridge hammock so far and I've had 5 I think. Super quality fittings, poles etc. Not super light or compact though.

The bug screen from my Chrysalis just fits and the down underquilt is easy.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Cloudview

[​IMG]
  15. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    For me it helps alleviate the calf ridge. I can always tell when the foot end is too low because I'll have the ridge. It doesn't actually raise your feet, it just puts you in a different part of the hammock. I also use an 11' hammock.
    Duckworth likes this.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I've got a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC; the tall version. I need to spend more time in it to get it right. I still don't have the whole setup nailed down the way I want.
    Dolly Sod likes this.
  17. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? What do you like about it?

I just switched from a gathered end to a Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I love everything about it. Especially the openess of laying in it. It also has side pockets that are super convenient.
    Dolly Sod likes this.
  18. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think hammocks are indeed love/hate. Ive had to endure how many(?) people asking how the hell I sleep in THAT thing?! I guess its just one of those deals where if you have to explain it-ect., ect..
    Sadly, Ive given up hammock camping when on the road and just use it around home or when visiting people. Too many times I've not had the right set of trees or whatever to facilitate it all. Its ok though as my tent is quite nice. In a perfect world though, yeah hammock all the way. I think those of us who do like it need to stop pestering/telling everyone to give up the tent for a hammock already. WE like them, not everyone in a tent will.
    team ftb likes this.
  19. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I have the same hammock, having recently traded up to the XLC from a regular Blackbird. I find that it is particularly fussy about a perfect setup. When the trees are 15-17 feet apart, as a starting point I attach the head end strap at head level, and the foot end strap about as high as I can reach. i make the ridge line reasonably taut, but not guitar string tight when lying down. Then I make minor tweaks as necessary to reduce that annoying calf ridge.
  20. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made up this stand from scrap for exactly this reason. At a lot of the races I go to camping is just open fields and I was getting tired of sleeping in the back seat of my Excursion. It breaks down in to 4 pieces after pulling a few pins.

[​IMG]
    Don03st likes this.