Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's cheating you know. It's a game to find two trees exactly right for hanging a hommock. :lol2

That is a pretty slick set up.
    gots_a_sol likes this.
  2. ScubaTater

ScubaTater New rider, 6K miles.

Oddometer:
    Grand trunk air bivy extreme.

First time setting it up (more than likely wrong)

But it is functional after some 550 I brought. 20170728_202044.jpg
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Pretty slick.
    Could you have folded the back seat down and put a mattress in the back.

4. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Can you post some pics or more details?
  5. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    It's much more wide open than my other bridges with a wide and flat shoulder area with no shoulder squeeze. Some like the JRB made me feel like a sardine with no chance of side sleeping. The Eureka was better but still narrow at the waist line so side sleeping has your knees right on the taut side webbing. This one has lots of room to even go fetal if you want.
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I spent at least a month, every night trying to dial in my Blackbird .... little higher here, little lower there, more angle, less angle ... never could get it right and calf ridge was a pain so I sold it off. Never looked back.
  7. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
  8. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of crap behind the second row for riding/camping + tools/spares/etc.

It is made up of 1.5" 1/8" wall tubing I had left over from various projects. It slips on to the end of my hitch carrier and then I throw a bike stand under it to support the weight.

[​IMG]
    Maggot12 likes this.
  9. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still really like my hammock, but I agree w/ Don. Most of my camping opportunities these days are at rallies where the 'campground' is an open field. If trees are available, they're out on the edge of the field away from everyone else (for better or worse). Easier at that point to just bring a tent.
    Dolly Sod likes this.
  10. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those trees on the edge are exactly where I'd be heading. Looks like an excuse TO bring a hammock:lol3
    sprouty115 and Dolly Sod like this.
  12. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously! Too many people snoring...

:hide
    levain and Dolly Sod like this.
  13. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    similar to a few others here, I wanted to try the hammock thing for lightweight dual sport rides. My first ride with some friends on an overnight everyone in the group all had hammocks. I was using an old tent. I've camped many hundreds of nights in tents but hadn't moved to the hammock stage yet.

I picked up a used Blackbird 1.1 DL and Edge tarp. Ran those for a while but wanted something just bit bigger (tarp and hammock). Sold them and got the XLC with winter top cover (I camp more in the winter than the summer) and the mamajamba tarp. did my first overnight with the new setup a few weeks ago on a short overnight trip to Two Wheels of Suches, in GA. My route from Atlanta involves some fun off road, so I packed lightly. I had all of my camping gear and stuff in a 25 liter FirstGear waterproof duffel bag. Hammock, tarp, change of clothes, sleeping pad and bag, chair, shoes, rain jacket and pants, tools, headlight, toothbrush, etc.

Campsite set up (yes the tarp is inside out, it was looking like rain and I threw it up and then noticed I had it wrong):

[​IMG]

everything packed on the bike (the small bag behind the duffel bag is my Warn winch and some extra tools):[​IMG]

another view of the camping setup:

[​IMG]

so far I like the new XLC but have only used it for the one trip. hopefully more opportunities to fine tune the hang this fall and winter. Love the small size and comfort. I like the dual layer with a thermarest in between the layers, and my standard down bag (golden kazoo in the summer, marmot winter bag for cold weather) so if I have to sleep on the ground for whatever reason I'm still comfortable. Plus I had the pad and bags already. :)

a few guys up there that weekend had the Redverz tents and I must say for longer basecamp type trips, or if I had a GS or something to carry sh*t around, it would be nice. One guy even had a blow up mattress in his. Not sure if he trailered up there for the weekend to ride or had all of that in his side cases. Pretty glamping setup.

(not sure why the images won't load from my Google Photos account any more so I attached them to the post, if anyone has suggestions on making them appear inline, let me know).

Attached Files:

tomhislop likes this.
  14. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    SpeedyR, pics no worky.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  15. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    made some changes- do they work now?
  16. Livestrom

Livestrom Life is short and the world is wide

Oddometer:
    Not for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet. Keep trying.:type
  18. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    images don't seem to be working from my Google photos account any more, so I attached them. If anyone has a suggestion on images from google photos, I'm all ears. Its been working for years, they must have changed something with the other photo hosting sites making changes...
  19. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I don't know how you do that. If mine is not dead nuts level I end up sliding to the foot or head area which make me crazy. Getting it level on uneven ground can be a challenge, so next time I am going to throw a line level on the top line that the tarp hangs off.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Download the app:

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

...and use the "clinometer" screen on the app (touch the white semi-circle at the middle bottom of the app).

Screenshot_20170801-210649.png