Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprouty, that looks like a great app...but it's say's "item not found" when I try and download it.................
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, click on the link I posted, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link to the app from there. That should work.
  3. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    That's the point. It moves you toward the head end of the hammock so your calves are in a spot that doesn't wrinkle and cause a calf ridge.

An 11 foot hammock means your head isn't crammed up against the side of the hammock.
    Duckworth likes this.
  4. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I have never had a calf ridge issue...must be doing something right. The only time I was ever truly uncomfortable in my hammock was at a campground with zero trees I hung between the shelter poles which were way too close together.

We sleep diagonally anyway, so if there is a calf ridge it's out of the way right? I have an Exped Scout Combi, Specs don't list the overall length, but sleeping area is 84.6" long..... Maybe that is why a even hang is important to me?
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, say not available in "my country". I know the foot hills of the Appalachians are remote but c'mon ;)
  6. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that doesn't make sense? I just uninstalled it and re-installed it to make sure it was working. Of course I was on an Android device, do you have an IPhone?
  7. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just look at my hammock hung. I like it down low to the ground so I can sit in it and my feet are on the ground. I look at the suspension and raise my hand with my index finger pointing out and my thumb up. This gives me a close approximation of the "ideal" 30 degree hang angle everyone talks about. So far, it's simple and it works for me.
    [​IMG]
  8. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Samsung S7, and a Windows Desktop...neither will download it. ...I do hear banjos though.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I experimented with ridgeline lengths a little. 2-4in + -. Until I found a happy number. Other than that no special requirements, and slept great from the get go. Never had any calve pressure.

Warbonnet BB with ridgeline so I can pull it to various tree widths and it's the same angle every time.
    5'9 and reach to about 6' height for each end. This gives a good lay and I can rock in the hammock with my feet touching the ground.
    Uneven trees and I tie to the lowest tree first, eyeball it as I walk to the other tree.

The thumb trick will work.
  10. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas. FWIW, it works on my S6 Active.
  11. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Calf ridge is part of the diagonal lay. It's on the leg that's closest to the center. What happens is the hammock fabric folds causing an area that has more support than other areas. Not all Hammocks have it, not all people are bothered by it. I can usually fix it temporarily by pushing the fold out with my foot but any moving around in the hammock will eventually bring it back.
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Yeah, using a pad changes things. I tried them a few times, but only like them in bridge hammocks. For a gathered end hammock I prefer an underquilt.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  14. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    What do you all think of this: ( I have no affiliation at all, just wondering if it's worthwhile)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ght-hammock-shelter-for-all-se?ref=nav_search

I want to get more into hammock camping, but it's pretty expensive with an underquilt, top quilt, decent tarp, bugnet, etc. This claims to take care of all those, but it also seems like it might do a pretty horrible job of all those. I know it wouldn't be as good as the full system (including everything else), but for $100 do you guys think it would be worth it?
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I like it.... but...

when it's cold enough for a hammock, I don't need the bug net, so I just throw the sleeping bag over the hammock and tie a rain fly.

when it's hot enough to worry about bugs, I just use a hammock with bug net and hang a rain fly.

I don't generally want the warm under quilt when it's hot, or the bug net when it's cold.
  16. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Lawson Blue Ridge for a little over a year. I've slept in it about 30 times now.

I absolutely love it.

Being a spreader bar hammock it's a little different than a lot of other options but it works so well. I've always been comfortable and it's reasonably forgiving with setup.
    I've slept everywhere from a cliff edge to across an old bridge and even strung up across the balcony of a highrise apartment building. The best part about it is that in a pinch it can be used like a bivy and I can sleep on the ground. I highly recommend it to anyone and it works great for side and back sleepers.

IMG_0982.PNG IMG_0646.JPG
    Dolly Sod and CharlieInStLouis like this.
  17. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I"ve been using a similar set up that I made a couple of years ago. Works pretty well, but I still use both a top and under quilt along with a bug net in the summer. That hammock rig for $100 might be worth the $$$. The reflecting fabric they show is probably not breathable, neither is a waterproof top, so condensation will be a problem.
    You will still need a tarp/rain fly. Getting in and out of a hammock with water pouring on it directly will get you and what's inside wet.
    Maggot12 and sprouty115 like this.
  18. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I've switched over to a bridge-style hammock (Warbonnet Ridgerunner). And love it for the reasons you mention, but especially how easily it goes to ground. Absolutely no reason to ever go back to a tent now.

[​IMG]
    Photo-credit: https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-choose-an-ultralight-tent-or-shelter-part-2/
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ability to go to ground, side sleep and tiny pack size were the reasons I chose the 90 degree hammock. It's unreal how small it packs, and how tight you can get it on tree spacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Boxa, Mat, Allucaneat and 1 other person like this.
  20. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on that system.

I have a $30 Eno DN hammock, $50 SnuggPak under blanket/underquilt, $8 orange Harbor Freight straps, and $20 ebay Mil surplus mummy bag for top quit with a 20x72 inch sleeping pad. That's $108. I use a 11x11 blue poly tarp, soft pale yellow nylon lines, and those large nail type stakes. I got it all at Harbor Freight for $14. My upgrades to this are whoopie slings with whoopie hooks for my hammock suspension. I go them from a member here for a good deal. I am planning to add a Kelty Noah 12 with 1/8th inch zing it lines with 1/8 inch bungee spring lines in the near future. With my set up, I can comfortably get into the 40's. I don't have a bug net, but will probably add one next spring. I don't usually have problems with bugs and I don't use bug off products. I guess they don't like my kind of stink. :oscar

I can attest that Harbor Freight moving blankets are warm but heavy as hell.