Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    ben2go likes this.
  2. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    A discussion of it can be found HERE
    ben2go likes this.
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    New age hipster Fred. :lol3
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  4. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive broken my hand so no bike camping for a bit. I took the dog and went on an overnight-er in the bush.
    we have been to this spot before on trials bikes but all the trees down have kept that at bay.

[​IMG]

I wanted to try out the ultimate hammock straps for an easy setup as my eyes make it difficult to seee the bury rop on my Whoopies for adjustment.

Bug net slung out of the way gave a lovely view of the waterfall and with no people the the whole time i was there from the walk in to walk out the next day. This is what i love about this country. No hassles most of the time.

[​IMG]

I had to pitch the tarp to keep the water spray off my down quilt i was so close.

A short video

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was about to comment on how wet that looks. I've stayed dry through some torrential rain in my hammock, but I don't see any way to stay dry with the mist from that waterfall!
  6. team ftb

Oddometer:
    The advantages of smaller pack size and the ability to hang in tighter trees are two things that have me eyeing the 90 degree. How tight are the tree's in the above picture?

The hammock looks more exposed to wind and rain from the sides of the tree's in a tarp without doors. More so than a traditional hammock and tarp. Has this been your experience?
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tarp ridgeline is about 7', so it's a little more than that. The hammock could probably go with a 5' span if needed. The manufacturer claims you could hang it from one spot if needed, but I've never tried that. This hammock is so comfortable.

You are exposed a little, but I've been in some heavy rain and wind, and never gotten wet. It seals up pretty well. If you put your stuff on the ground under the hammock nothing gets wet. The fact that the doors close out helps with space in the tarp. It's a great setup. The cuben fiber tarp is crazy light, but doesn't compress as small as I'd like.. Posting this while hanging in my backyard. Wind is pretty good right now, and I don't feel anything under the tarp.
  8. team ftb

Oddometer:

Indeed it was wet. I was curious how the smaller Edge tarp i use would work to protect the down quilt underneath. what i had to do was stake the tarp edge almost straight down to the ground. I've never had do do this even in heavy rains.

This is how i typically hang my tarp to encourage air flow here in hot n humid South East Asia. It rained in the below pic but no issues with rain getting to the quilt.

[​IMG]

Due to the density of trees over here i don't often have rains coming in from the side, as the winds are blocked sufficiently by the trees. so tarp hangs like this work fine.

[​IMG]

Obviously near the waterfall i had to nail the tarp down tight.. No pictures sadly as my phone battery died.

Here's pic that shows the ground. This is where hammocks shine. no space for a tent here due to wet and rocky ground. Hammock fits in fine though.

[​IMG]

9. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:
    From a recent trip. [​IMG]
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9274.JPG Some river in Alabama
  11. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just can't beat a Kelty 12 for versatility. Look at all those tie outs
    Duckworth likes this.
  12. sonarman

sonarman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warrbonnet BB XL. I used some reflective insulation for the first time between the layers worked like a champ. It’s a little bulky to pack. C20E9845-B12F-45F3-B3FB-9A15BA0F2F58.jpeg
    Bikerboy and Brutalguyracing like this.
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Careful that has been known to cause condensation issues
    A nice down quilt set is all that's needed
    And Superfly tarp and you are set for life
    Posted from from hammock in 19* with 40mph winds right now
    Snug like a bug in a rug here
    Wooot

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
  14. Bikerv2

Bikerv2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hammock camped to AK and back last year. The wife and I love hammock camping been sleeping off the ground for over two years now. Hammock camp in the trees with snow and the WI winter too. Two Dream Hammocks hung in tandem so we can talk at night. IMG_1492.JPG IMG_1452.JPG
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Do you tie one end of each hammock to the same tree and seperate the head end, or seperate trees all around?
    Single tarp or each have your own?

Can you tie close enough that you can still get a reach over and a tickle... :-)

16. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    The way my wife and I set up our hammocks looks to be the same way they did in the pics - both hammocks are on the same trees, head and foot. You try to set the straps so that each is coming off the opposite side from the other, left & right, to create as much space as possible that way. Then you put a pole between the hammocks at the head end. You get to use the same tarp that way also. It also works better for us to lay in the same direction in the hammocks, otherwise we end up pushing against each other.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  17. Bikerv2

Bikerv2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tie suspension to same trees and use a Dutch Gear spreader bar at the head end. We always bring two tarps for each hammock, but when we hang tandem we only use one trap.
    And yes we are close enough to tickle :rofland it's great for conversations, sharing stuff. Plus the wife is close when we get bad weather, she hates to weather a storm all alone.

Here we have it in storm mode. Had some thunder storms roll in over night.
    IMG_1473.JPG

Here you can see the spreader bar and how close we are. It's not bad you can feel a little movement from the other person at night but not enough to wake me.
    IMG_1474.JPG

Last pic camping last fall IMG_2630.JPG

some LINKS
    The suspension we use............ https://dutchwaregear.com/beetle-buckle-complete.html

The Dutch spreader Bar ........ https://dutchwaregear.com/748-aluminum-spreader.html

Hammocks are made by Dream ....... https://www.dreamhammock.com/
  18. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    Fall in the Shenandoah Valley area (Virginia, USA)...

[​IMG]

Hennessy Asym; Reflectix pad; Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy bag. Camp chair is a Camptime roll-a-chair...you sit at a normal level, and have back support.
  19. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Someone emailed me about my Sunda and I can't find the post. If you are out there and still interested, it's still for sale.