Hampster Ride - Dirt route the length of New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by FreeTheBeast, May 27, 2014.

1. RidingUpAndDown

RidingUpAndDown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapis the .gpx file in post #1 still the current and accurate route?

Thnx for all ur work on this. :clap

d :ricky
  2. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to get up north on Sunday this week to work on the top end.

The GPX file in the first post is still the latest version. Bottom half of the route is pretty well laid in.
  3. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the New England Forest Rally is using Gtrrnough Pond Rd. as well as several roads between Maine 26 and New Hampshire 16 tomorrow, so you'll probably find some freshly torn-up gravel if you end up there. You may also find gates open that would usually be otherwise.

I did get up to East Inlet and Boundary Pond yesterday, but I came in from 3 to do so. It should be possible to get around the east side of Second Connecticut Lake, but I'm not sure if the culverts that were out last time I came in from the South have been repaired; there are a lot of semi-repaired culverts up there that are completely passable but probably warrant slowing down.

I did end up riding Magalloway Road from route 3 all the way to Parmachee and then to 26. It's a nice ride, but not quite where I was intending to go.
  4. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry

Oddometer:
    Noon ? :scratch
  5. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Got a little bit farther north today. Going to tie in North South Road (Long Pond Road in Google Maps). It is gated at both ends, but clearly open in Summer months for access to Long Pond.

North South Road:
    [​IMG]

A way the route will NOT be going:
    [​IMG]

Some roads did not go through near Cardigan Mountain...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We saw you guys today somewhere around Orford. Green KLR and the GS12. We rode the entire route from beginning to Piermont. The dirt sections were really good. Thanks for all the work you did. :thumb
  7. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Ha-ha!!! Saw you guysÂ…maybe Acorn Hill Road. I wondered if you were local riders or actually riding the route. I wish I had stopped to chat. Glad to see people out there!

From Piermont after Indian Hill Road, I've got the route going Piermont Heights Road and Camp Moonshine Road to get over to Long Pond Road (also called North and South Rd). This looks a little round-the-houses, but the roads are worth the ride. Of course, if anyone is trying to make better time, they can make adjustments in the route on their own. Using a GPS track instead of a route helps with detours and individual plans, too.

:freaky

8. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Track for the northern section yet? I'm going to be up north this weekend and was thinking of riding a little of the NNEAT... was hoping to connect over to this! I'm leaving straight from work, and I work I don't have admin privileges to install anything to create tracks on my computer. Was hoping I could snag one and throw it on dualsportmaps.com to use with my phone.
  9. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a draft track, but someone left a gate blocking it. Do you have other endpoints in the vicinity? I may be able to suggest a track based on the draft, in the spirit of the Hamster...
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Might try to take a spin up this on Sunday... ping me if interested.
  11. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I missed this before I left, but I'd like to see something ending up in the Pittsburg, NH area. More specifically, near where 145 meets route 3. The Northern New England Adventure Trail runs through there west into Maine and east into VT toward the Puppy Dog, so it would be a good terminus for folks that want to head north, then east or west across northern New England.
  12. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    Here's a video I did of the southern section of the route. It will give you a good idea what it's like. Andrew did a great job on road selection and making it big bike friendly.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ia8DzoqUfMY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  13. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    This looks great. Going have to try the southern half. I'm over in Kittery ME and this looks like a fun day ride.:clap
    Seems like it should be doable on my '11 DR 650 w/ stock Trailwings? :evil
  14. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you go I'll tag along behind you. Never tried it and my bike's a big girl.
  15. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    You'll have a great time; will be no trouble on those bikes. Video shows the Class IV sections, which were very fun.
  16. crag antler

Oddometer:
    I shoot you a PM. I'm thinking I may be able to get a pass,for August 16th:deal
    I need the practice for my VT trip after Labor Day:freaky
  17. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Has anyone done a route sheet for this ride?
  18. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    I should be able to throw together a quick & very basic one for general use, if that helps...
  19. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would really appreciate that.
  20. crag antler

Oddometer:
    +2
    Most helpful and appreciated:clap